The Student Room Group

Man pulls off Muslim woman's hijab in London

Scroll to see replies

Poor lady. That must have been horrible for her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StrawbAri
Yeah this was a perfect example of tolerant and liberal behaviour

Yeah, exactly /slowclap
Original post by mojojojo101
Whats the big deal, just introducing these Muslim women to the tolerant and liberal society that they must intergrate into...

Exactly, the tolerant and liberal society that won't tolerate their hairdress!
Poor women getting their headdresses pulled off I can imagine how they feel having a headdress pulled off they must be in so much pain and sadness. Oh woe is me.

It shouldn't really be put on the news, not that important. what is more important is the women being forced to wear the veil and Islamic countries continuing with Barbaric and outdated cultures. Killing gay people and oppressing women and non Muslims.

But when a Veil is taken off STOP THE PRESSES ITS SOOOOO IMPORTANT.
Original post by KingBradly
Two women have had scarfs pulled off their heads in London, a city where two murders happen every week. Big deal.

It is a big deal in my opinion. The hijab is not just a scarf, it is an essential part of protecting a woman's modesty. For a Muslim, it's as bad as someone pulling down your trousers and underwear in public. Thus incident is just part of the many troubles that Muslims face from Isalmophobes in this country. It's incredibly sad and unacceptable.
Reply 85
Pretty inane, spiteful and pathetic behaviour, but considering all the terrible things that go on in the world, it doesn't seem particularly egregious.
Original post by BigTraderBoi
It is a big deal in my opinion. The hijab is not just a scarf, it is an essential part of protecting a woman's modesty. For a Muslim, it's as bad as someone pulling down your trousers and underwear in public. Thus incident is just part of the many troubles that Muslims face from Isalmophobes in this country. It's incredibly sad and unacceptable.

A woman is not being immodest by not wearing a headscarf, and it's offensive to women who don't wear them to suggest that, so if you're so worried about what offends people, I'd be a little more careful.

For a Muslim, having a headscarf pulled off may well be as bad as someone pulling down your trousers. But in our culture it isn't, and this is the culture they are living in so they should accept that. If I went to a tribe where walking around naked was the norm and they kept pulling my trousers down because they thought nothing of it then I wouldn't feel I should complain, because I would understand that it doesn't mean the same thing in their culture.
A woman is not being immodest by not wearing a headscarf, and it's offensive to women who don't wear them to suggest that, so if you're so worried about what offends people, I'd be a little more careful.

For a Muslim, having a headscarf pulled off may well be as bad as someone pulling down your trousers. But in our culture it isn't, and this is the culture they are living in so they should accept that. If I went to a tribe where walking around naked was the norm and they kept pulling my trousers down because they thought nothing of it then I wouldn't feel I should complain, because I would understand that it doesn't mean the same thing in their culture.

So you think it's fine for people to remove these women's hijabs? We shouldn't force people to give up their culture. Let then live how they want.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
So you think it's fine for people to remove these women's hijabs? Do you feel that is right or wrong to do so?

Yes, it's harassment. Just as it would be to go up to a woman and steal her hat.
Yes, it's harassment. Just as it would be to go up to a woman and steal her hat.

So do you think these women shouldn't be complaining about having their hijab removed? Since you said before that if a tribe pulled down your trousers you wouldn't be complaining.

It doesn't matter whether the hijab is part of our culture or not. A person should be allowed to wear what they want without people removing it because it doesn't fit their idea of British culture or how a British person should dress.
Original post by Trapz99
So do you think these women shouldn't be complaining about having their hijab removed? Since you said before that if a tribe pulled down your trousers you wouldn't be complaining.

The tribe comparison wasn't supposed to be exactly the same. In our culture, pulling off someone's hat is considered an unpleasant thing to do, and the people who did this may be able to understand that to these women their headscarfs mean a little bit more than a headscarf does to someone who doesn't believe in a load of superstitious rubbish. These women should complain, but we should also remember that in this culture a headscarf is little more than than a piece of material, and we shouldn't expect people to engage with these people's silly beliefs, so we should just treat it as we would if someone pulled someone's hat off. From a purely personal perspective, I would try to respect other people's ways of life as long as they don't harm my own, and I would think it rather belligerent of someone to be so ignorant as to disrespect it in such a meaningless and pointless way, but in the eyes of the law I don't think it should be any different to pulling a hat off.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Epicurean
What were the motives behind this act? Was it silly teenagers messing around, or was it a religiously and racially motivated attack?

I assumed it was because they found it amusing. But what difference does it make? I still had my pants pulled down in public regardless of why they did it.

Anyhow, that (and this) is hardly an "attack" for Christ's sake. It's an act of mischief. People are losing their collective **** over something dumb and minor. Some jackass no-one's ever heard of pulled down the scarf/hood of some woman no-one's ever heard of. So what? Oh, wait, she's Muslim, so let's make a big song and dance about it and cry "HATE CRIME!" from the rooftops and be morally outraged because maybe he was a bigot.

Make it a national headline if he murders someone. But until then, this guy's rude mischief is unimportant and not worthy of the politicized fainting-couch outrage it's generating.
Reply 93
Extremely sad. Hope the scumbag gets what he deserves
Original post by desaf1
Extremely sad. Hope the scumbag gets what he deserves

Extremely sad? Ffs she had a scarf pulled off of her head, this really isn't a big deal.
Reply 95
Original post by Mr Moon Man
Extremely sad? Ffs she had a scarf pulled off of her head, this really isn't a big deal.

Yes it is. A hijab is vital to protecting a Muslim woman's modesty. It's like undoing a woman's bikini top at a beach.
Original post by desaf1
Yes it is. A hijab is vital to protecting a Muslim woman's modesty. It's like undoing a woman's bikini top at a beach.

Except it's not the same. This isn't a Muslim country, Muslim tradition does not matter here.
Original post by desaf1

bro stop getting hysterical, how is taking off a hijab to show her hair the same as undoing a bikini ? :rofl:
Reply 98
Except it's not the same. This isn't a Muslim country, Muslim tradition does not matter here.

But that doesn't mean that Muslims in this country should be forced to not wear what they wish to wear. The women were wearing hijabs and have the right to do that- people should respect their right to wear that and shouldn't be trying to remove it.
Reply 99
Original post by BigTraderBoi
It's called violent assault with racial/religious motivation. It is an incredibly shocking and hateful crime. How would you feel if someone pulled down your underwear in public?

lol that's barely a crime

An idiot like you deserved an answer like this. BRAVO BigTraderBoi

Quick Reply