The Student Room Group

Do you feel that Brexit will make Britain great again?

Or do you think we'll be worse off as a result of Brexit? By Brexit, I mean a proper hard, fully cooked Brexit.

Scroll to see replies

Brexit will Make Britain Great Again! It's going to be tremendous. Believe me.
Not in the short term.
If by "great" you mean rock bottom then totally.
Question OP- When was Britain ever a great country? There's no evidence to support that Britain has ever been a great country.
I can make Britain grate :colone:
Original post by hxfsxh
Not in the short term.

Well that's fine because we should really be caring about the long-term effects :smile:
Reply 7
I think it's already a great country.
Hasn't it already got "great" in its name?
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I can make Britain grate :colone:

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooo
Original post by Rhaenys10
lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooo

We never tire of my brielliantness :colone:
great britain was always great
it was just the politicians that weren't
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Question OP- When was Britain ever a great country? There's no evidence to support that Britain has ever been a great country.

"Great" is subjective, isn't it? I'd imagine that, when "we" had an empire upon which the sun never set, the people who profited from the plundering of other countries thought that Britain was doing pretty well for itself. The people who got plundered, however? Probably didn't share the same sentiment.

A truly great country would be able to stand on its' own two feet without the need to invade other countries for resources, from the moment of creation to the moment of collapse. Of course, that's incredibly unlikely to happen these days due to many of the worlds' natural resources already being under the control of someone. Was a bit different 1000 years ago when there was enough to go around.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

It really does depend on your POV.
The UK was a global superpower in the 19th & early 20th centuries. The Empire reached its peak between 1890 & the start of the First World War if I remember correctly. I think the majority of people out there would say that Britain was relatively a force for good in that period although it certainly wouldn't be when looked at through 21st century lenses.

The UK was almost most certainly a force for good in both world wars, even if it was somewhat embarrassing for Britain to find itself in a rather dire position in the summer of 1940.

I do think that the British Empire could well be remembered in a similar way to the Roman Empire I the future. I think that most people have generally favourable views of the Romans despite the many flaws & atrocities committed.

To answer the OP's question:
Do I think Brexit will see any kind of monumental shift in how "great" Britain is? Almost certainly not. But I do think it's a positive step to get out of a crumbling Union that is very reluctant to reform itself & seems to be after greater powers in every treaty signing.
In the longer term, I certainly hope that Britain will be able to re-establish itself on the global stage as an important power with a strong economy, legislative sovereignty & well equipped armed forces (the latter should be used for defence of our interests & our allies as opposed to invading other nations for the sake of it).
I'm yet to encounter a compelling argument as to why we would become great in any way.

I suspect we will just see a fall in living standards and continue to stagnate, which will hit those at the bottom of society the hardest.
Great Britain is merely a geographical term for the largest island in the British Isles.

It sounds good though for whipping up a bit of the good old patriotism.
This music is the answer,my friend.

http://youtu.be/3l4nVByCL44

1477070359353.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Build a wall through the English Channel and make France pay for it.
I kind of hope Brexit will mean less tuition fees for international students
Original post by Dandaman1
Build a wall through the English Channel and make France pay for it.

We are at Calais

Quick Reply