The Student Room Group

Skipping AS

Hey guys, I am doing Maths A-Level as a private candidate. I was wondering that if you have to take the AS exam alongside the the A2 one. Obviously i am studying for both AS and A2 but the fees are a bit expensive if you have to pay for both the As and A2 exam!

Thanks for reading
You don't have to for most exam boards anymore because of the a level reforms
Reply 2
Original post by hxfsxh
You don't have to for most exam boards anymore because of the a level reforms

Ok thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Suffaru
Hey guys, I am doing Maths A-Level as a private candidate. I was wondering that if you have to take the AS exam alongside the the A2 one. Obviously i am studying for both AS and A2 but the fees are a bit expensive if you have to pay for both the As and A2 exam!

Thanks for reading

Check what exam board you are doing since I know some like Edexcel still have the AS/A2 format if you are going to enter yourself for exams this year.
So double check with the course specification just to make sure. :h:
Reply 4
Original post by aamirac
Check what exam board you are doing since I know some like Edexcel still have the AS/A2 format if you are going to enter yourself for exams this year.
So double check with the course specification just to make sure. :h:

Holy **** thanks! I didn't bother to read the spec. You are right there are compulsory AS units i have to do to get the full grade :frown: . Oh well.
Reply 5
Original post by Suffaru
Holy **** thanks! I didn't bother to read the spec. You are right there are compulsory AS units i have to do to get the full grade :frown: . Oh well.

:lol: At least you know now.
Use the spec in your revision to provide guidance as to what is required of you to know and can use it as a checklist of the topics that you need to learn.

:hat2:
CIE (Cambridge International Examinations) Hasn't reformed yet. Plus they have summer and winter examinations. For CIE you could take Pure 1, Mechanics 1 or statistics 1 in May 2017 then Pure 3 and Statistics 1 or 2 or Mechanics 1 or 2 in November 2017. When I was planning to take it at AS being a private candidate my exam centre charged me £50 per module so it was £100 altogether for AS then if I continued I would have paid £100 again later in the year for my A2 modules. The only thing was the distance. Hounslow is just arrhhh

Quick Reply