The Student Room Group

graduate schemes by competitiveness

hi all

i have a few questions on graduate schemes in finance that i'd welcome any/all answers too

1) IB seems to be the most competitive, but how do the AM, sales, trading, corporate finance options/departments rank in comparison? would it be worthwhile apllying for an 'easier' option only to then switch?

2) i know that IB accepts applicants with all sorts of degree backgrounds, but what about AM, or corporate finance or sales? do those sections have more stringent criteria?

3) can you apply for a graduate scheme whilst doing a masters or does it only appply for undergraduates? sorry if this seems like a stupid question...

4) how important would you guys say the CFA/IMC exams are? are they gradually becoming a requirement?

any question which you may be able to answer, please do so.

thank you all!
Reply 1
1) They are all pretty much the same level of competitiveness. Never apply to a division because it's easier to get into- your chances of getting into a division are unlikely if you're not very interested in it and know nothing about it.
2) No, they all accept applicants from all degree disciplines.
3) Yes, you can apply with a masters degree.
4) Not important at all for IBD/S&T, maybe for AM it's a tiny bit useful. Banks don't expect graduates to hold any professional qualifications in financial services- they will train you for any qualification that is needed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Trapz99
1) They are all pretty much the same level of competitiveness. Never apply to a division because it's easier to get into- your chances of getting into a division are unlikely if you're not very interested in it and know nothing about it.
2) No, they all accept applicants from all degree disciplines.
3) Yes, you can apply with a masters degree.
4) Not important at all for IBD/S&T, maybe for AM it's a tiny bit useful. Banks don't expect graduates to hold any professional qualifications in financial services- they will train you for any qualification that is needed.

ah, ok. thanks a lot. as a final question, would just like to ask how necessary maths is for AM? i have an A at a-level and 33/36 in my act maths section, but do i need to have taken it further? will i be penalized for not having done math modules for my degree?
Reply 3
Original post by TKSR123
ah, ok. thanks a lot. as a final question, would just like to ask how necessary maths is for AM? i have an A at a-level and 33/36 in my act maths section, but do i need to have taken it further? will i be penalized for not having done math modules for my degree?

No that's enough, you're fine
Reply 4
Original post by Trapz99
No that's enough, you're fine

thanks
Reply 5
Original post by TKSR123
hi all

i have a few questions on graduate schemes in finance that i'd welcome any/all answers too

1) IB seems to be the most competitive, but how do the AM, sales, trading, corporate finance options/departments rank in comparison? would it be worthwhile apllying for an 'easier' option only to then switch?

2) i know that IB accepts applicants with all sorts of degree backgrounds, but what about AM, or corporate finance or sales? do those sections have more stringent criteria?

3) can you apply for a graduate scheme whilst doing a masters or does it only appply for undergraduates? sorry if this seems like a stupid question...

4) how important would you guys say the CFA/IMC exams are? are they gradually becoming a requirement?

any question which you may be able to answer, please do so.

thank you all!

I've done imc and cfa 1 and it certainly helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are competitive, but if you meet the entry requirements, you should apply
Reply 7
Original post by souman
I've done imc and cfa 1 and it certainly helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the problem with the cfa is that it costs around 400/500 pounds and that is not the sort of money that a student wishes to spend unless s/he absolutely has to. that's why ive been asking around to see just how necessary it is. quite a lot of different answers it would seem. probably will have to do it regardless come june/july...better start saving
Reply 8
Original post by sunnydespair
They are competitive, but if you meet the entry requirements, you should apply

from what ive seen/heard, the only real entry requirement seems to be 'be on track for a 2:1'. or have i missed something?
Reply 9
Original post by TKSR123
the problem with the cfa is that it costs around 400/500 pounds and that is not the sort of money that a student wishes to spend unless s/he absolutely has to. that's why ive been asking around to see just how necessary it is. quite a lot of different answers it would seem. probably will have to do it regardless come june/july...better start saving

You need a £1000 (approx £500 one off fee and £500 for the actual exam). I did a placement year and my employer paid for it. £1000 is a lot for any student..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply