The Student Room Group

Women and the Armed Forces

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
Well, actually that is what the topic is about. Roles that don't require physical requirements of such calibre that women may struggle to pass them aren't really relevant, so I don't get why you are bringing them.

Because it is relevant. There are already different standards for the same job.

Let's take the infantry as an example then. The fitness standards for an 18 yr old guy are one thing. The fitness standards for a 45 year old guy - who is expected to serve in exactly the same places and in exactly the same way as the 18 year old - are lower. Of course they are, someone's fitness decreases over the years.

The standards that 45 year old has to meet are the same standards that an 18 year old female would have to reach. So why is it that the male can serve but the female can't?

And I dispute that that is what the OP meant. The words are too general to only be referring to the "teeth" roles.

Original post by cbreef
Surely there's more than 1 in the RAF and at least 1 in the Navy...? Pilots, helicopter crew....

RAF Reg is the only single sex branch / trade in the RAF.
There are plenty of female pilots in the RN, it used to be that subs were male only, but that's no longer the case.
Original post by Drewski

Let's take the infantry as an example then. The fitness standards for an 18 yr old guy are one thing. The fitness standards for a 45 year old guy - who is expected to serve in exactly the same places and in exactly the same way as the 18 year old - are lower. Of course they are, someone's fitness decreases over the years.

The standards that 45 year old has to meet are the same standards that an 18 year old female would have to reach. So why is it that the male can serve but the female can't?

And I dispute that that is what the OP meant. The words are too general to only be referring to the "teeth" roles.

There are plenty of female pilots in the RN, it used to be that subs were male only, but that's no longer the case.

A female can serve, what are you talking about?
A female can serve, what are you talking about?

That's the point.

They do serve despite meeting lower requirements. So why do people think they have to meet higher ones? Clearly it's unnecessary. The standards we've got are suitable.

Why do you think the standards shouldn't be adjusted for the different capabilities of different people, despite the fact the system has worked perfectly well for 30-odd years?
Original post by Drewski
That's the point.

They do serve despite meeting lower requirements. So why do people think they have to meet higher ones? Clearly it's unnecessary. The standards we've got are suitable.

Why do you think the standards shouldn't be adjusted for the different capabilities of different people, despite the fact the system has worked perfectly well for 30-odd years?

I don't people think they should be heightened, I just think they don't think they should be lowered.
I don't people think they should be heightened, I just think they don't think they should be lowered.

Who said anything about heightening?

But why not?

I imagine you accept that a 40 year old guy has to meet different standards to an 18 year old guy because they have different capabilities despite doing the same job, so why can't a female have different standards?
Original post by Drewski

I am well aware of that, but you said there's 1 only role that has physical requirements. Nothing about women, so I assumed you made a mistake. I see what you meant now though.

Nevertheless, you are right about RAF Reg, however they will be admitting women no later than 2018.
Original post by Drewski
Who said anything about heightening?

But why not?

I imagine you accept that a 40 year old guy has to meet different standards to an 18 year old guy because they have different capabilities despite doing the same job, so why can't a female have different standards?

Why do you think the standards should be adjusted, despite the fact the system has worked perfectly well for 30-odd years?
Why do you think the standards should be adjusted, despite the fact the system has worked perfectly well for 30-odd years?

That is the system that has worked for 30 years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Drewski

OP is **** stirring from a position of ignorance.

Despite your being obnoxious, I do agree with you.
Original post by Drewski

And for how many years in combat?
Women usually prove mentally unreliable in combat, then why army performance would be worsened even more by lowering physical requirements?
Original post by PTMalewski
And for how many years in combat?
Women usually prove mentally unreliable in combat, then why army performance would be worsened even more by lowering physical requirements?

In terms of female pilots, they've been involved in combat since 1995 with no issues despite a system that requires them to pass with 'lower' fitness test requirements than the men.

So what's the argument?

Any role in the military requires more than mere physical strength to get in, its just one hurdle of many.
Original post by Drewski
In terms of female pilots, they've been involved in combat since 1995 with no issues despite a system that requires them to pass with 'lower' fitness test requirements than the men.

So what's the argument?

Any role in the military requires more than mere physical strength to get in, its just one hurdle of many.

However there are certain roles where a lower level of physical strength can potentially put other people in harms way.

Would you want to be a soldier in the infantry with a woman alongside you who is not capable of moving your bodyweight if you are wounded? The delay for somebody else who has the strength to perform the task could be the difference between life and death...
Original post by mackemforever
Would you want to be a soldier in the infantry with a woman alongside you who is not capable of moving your bodyweight if you are wounded? The delay for somebody else who has the strength to perform the task could be the difference between life and death...

So would you also advocate banning older male soldiers from the front line?

And for the record, I did serve alongside plenty of women. That was never an issue for me or them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
So would you also advocate banning older male soldiers from the front line?

I would advocate banning any soldier who is not capable of fulfilling the physical requirements necessary to be effective in a combat role from serving in a combat role.

Doesn't matter if you're an 18 year old bloke or a 35 year old bloke, an 18 year old woman or a 35 year old woman, if you are able to pass all of the required training including a standard physical assessment then you should be allowed to serve in combat roles, if you can't pass the required training and a standard physical assessment then you should not be allowed to serve in combat roles.
Let's be honest, no woman is going to be able to complete say the SAS training unless they're already a professional athlete (in which case why would they join the army??).

If we are going to let women serve, it would have to be on equal physical and mental requirements.

The idea of women on the front line still doesn't sit well with me. Would you get the same sense of brotherhood, etc...?
Original post by mackemforever
I would advocate banning any soldier who is not capable of fulfilling the physical requirements necessary to be effective in a combat role from serving in a combat role.

Doesn't matter if you're an 18 year old bloke or a 35 year old bloke, an 18 year old woman or a 35 year old woman, if you are able to pass all of the required training including a standard physical assessment then you should be allowed to serve in combat roles, if you can't pass the required training and a standard physical assessment then you should not be allowed to serve in combat roles.

The reason I make that point about older men is that their required fitness standards are the same as the younger females.

So anybody who suggests that the 'lower' standards are unsuitable for women is also then excluding a whole bunch of men who currently do serve perfectly adequately.
Original post by Drewski

So what's the argument?

Israel's infantry.
Israel's infantry.

You have to better define what you mean by "in combat".

You're making the same fundamental mistake made by the OP and by 90% of respondents to this thread.
You think "military" = infantry.
You think "combat" = hand to hand fighting.

That's not the case anymore. Plenty of women have been involved in combat and performed perfectly adequately, have been neither a risk nor a hindrance, despite having to pass a 'lower' fitness requirement than somebody else.

Try again, but this time without the knuckle dragging.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
You have to better define what you mean by "in combat".

For example under suppresive fire.

Original post by Drewski

You think "military" = infantry.
You think "combat" = hand to hand fighting.

False assumption.

Original post by Drewski

That's not the case anymore. Plenty of women have been involved in combat and performed perfectly adequately, have been neither a risk nor a hindrance, despite having to pass a 'lower' fitness requirement than somebody else.

Soldfier ought to fulfill conditions which are necessary to execute particular task that he or she is intended to do. If a soldier has to walk around with 40kg heavy equipment, the one should be able to do it. If a soldier has to withstand a dogfight in a jet, the one should be able to do it. If a soldier has to drive a vehicle or I don't know, fly a plane from factory to airfield, the one should be able to it. I fail to see why sex or age would make any difference. Taks must be accomplished, no matter by who. Standards must be adjusted to tasks, not age or something else.
For example under suppresive fire.

False assumption.

Soldfier ought to fulfill conditions which are necessary to execute particular task that he or she is intended to do. If a soldier has to walk around with 40kg heavy equipment, the one should be able to do it. If a soldier has to withstand a dogfight in a jet, the one should be able to do it. If a soldier has to drive a vehicle or I don't know, fly a plane from factory to airfield, the one should be able to it. I fail to see why sex or age would make any difference. Taks must be accomplished, no matter by who. Standards must be adjusted to tasks, not age or something else.

You're just fulfilling your own edict. You say it's a false assumption, but then you provide feck all evidence to support that. And again, you said it: "soldier". Why not airman? Why not sailor? Why do you assume the only people in the military are in the Army?

And do you think the myriad of Army medics, lots of whom are female, who work directly on the front line with patrols shouldn't be there? Because even though they are strong and fit, they're not quite as fit as some guys? Fine, but you can tell her yourself.

The current rules work. They don't leave anyone at a disadvantage. They take into account different abilities. They are, for want of a better word, graded, so that everyone is tested to an equal degree, that just happens to give a different score.

This system has worked for decades.

Why do you think it'll suddenly stop working?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending