The Student Room Group

Can I become a lawyer with a history degree?

I am in year 13 and am really unsure about what to study at university.
I really enjoy studying history and I dont really want to give this up- however realistically I should be thinking about my career options and I eventually do want to become a lawyer, specifically prosecutor or solicitor. But i am stressed out by the thought that a history degree will limit me.

Does anybody know the best way for me to pursue a career in law and is a history degrees substantial enough for the field of law?
Thanks to anyone who answers, i really appreciate it :smile:
A lot of people end up doing a GLD/GDL (can't remember what it's called that well) after they graduate from uni. It's a one year law qualification you can do :smile:
Original post by laimamaidanwal
I really enjoy studying history and I dont really want to give this up- however realistically I should be thinking about my career options and I eventually do want to become a lawyer, specifically prosecutor or solicitor. But i am stressed out by the thought that a history degree will limit me.

Does anybody know the best way for me to pursue a career in law and is a history degrees substantial enough for the field of law?

Absolutely! In fact, over 50% of people entering a law career do so without a law degree :smile: A history degree is a strong degree to do too, so don't worry about that - just choose something you enjoy!

As the above poster said, you would have to do a GDL after your degree. This is a one year course at a university on law; it is essentially a fast-track law degree. After you would do an LPC (if you go down the solicitor route) or a BPTC (if you want to be a barrister) before you can practice full time :smile: #Moooose
Original post by laimamaidanwal

Yes its fine. It wont limit you in terms of law, but it will take you a year longer. About 50% of solictors these days study anon law degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending