The Student Room Group

Leave Medicine for (Biomedical) Engineering?

Hi, I'm a first year medic at a London uni (won't say which one) and I haven't been enjoying the course here at all, the atmosphere and the people are great but I just simply cannot stand the course as it is at the moment.

I know that I probably should give myself more time to see whether I like the course, but this has been eating away at me and I'd probably have to apply on UCAS because Biomedical Eng has little or no overlap with Medicine. So, this is a time sensitive issue. People keep on telling me that it would be a shame for me to leave Medicine especially since I had to do the BMAT to get here, but you only live life once and this could be a big regret of mine.

I understand that once I leave Medicine it will almost be impossible for me to go back and that this is a very very important decision.

I've always enjoyed Physics and Maths because I found them easy at A2 (even self taught myself the optional topic in Physics A2) and I honestly thought before I was 17 I would end up doing some form of Engineering since I truly enjoyed the subject and how it involves problem solving. Biomedical Eng really appeals to me too since it involves a combination Human Physiology (which I do enjoy to a degree) and Physics principles.

Sometimes I feel I chose Medicine because it's a competitive subject and getting into medical school is considered by many to be an achievement.

At the moment, I'm considering going on some open days to find out more about the course from students as that can't do any harm.

My A-level grades are: A*A*A*A (Bio, Physics, Maths, Chem)

AS: AAAAAA (The 4 above, Further Maths and Critical Thinking)

I do have some extra-curriculars from last year that are relevant to engineering as well...

Could anyone please offer some advice about my situation and whether I would stand a chance from getting an offer from Imperial or UCL for Biomed Eng if I do decide to go down this route?

Also, if I do decide to apply can I stay at my home institution, whilst doing so?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm a first year medic at a London uni (won't say which one) and I haven't been enjoying the course here at all, the atmosphere and the people are great but I just simply cannot stand the course as it is at the moment.

I know that I probably should give myself more time to see whether I like the course, but this has been eating away at me and I'd probably have to apply on UCAS because Biomedical Eng has little or no overlap with Medicine. So, this is a time sensitive issue. People keep on telling me that it would be a shame for me to leave Medicine especially since I had to do the BMAT to get here, but you only live life once and this could be a big regret of mine.

I understand that once I leave Medicine it will almost be impossible for me to go back and that this is a very very important decision.

I've always enjoyed Physics and Maths because I found them easy at A2 (even self taught myself the optional topic in Physics A2) and I honestly thought before I was 17 I would end up doing some form of Engineering since I truly enjoyed the subject and how it involves problem solving. Biomedical Eng really appeals to me too since it involves a combination Human Physiology (which I do enjoy to a degree) and Physics principles.

Sometimes I feel I chose Medicine because it's a competitive subject and getting into medical school is considered by many to be an achievement.

At the moment, I'm considering going on some open days to find out more about the course from students as that can't do any harm.

My A-level grades are: A*A*A*A (Bio, Physics, Maths, Chem)

AS: AAAAAA (The 4 above, Further Maths and Critical Thinking)

I do have some extra-curriculars from last year that are relevant to engineering as well...

Could anyone please offer some advice about my situation and whether I would stand a chance from getting an offer from Imperial or UCL for Biomed Eng if I do decide to go down this route?

Also, if I do decide to apply can I stay at my home institution, whilst doing so?

Thanks in advance

QM/BL offers an intercalated degree in Biomed Eng. They also offer it as a transfer option to medics who fail in early years. You've only been doing medicine a matter of weeks, could you hold out until the end of year two? You could then intercalate in Biomed Eng and make the decision to leave medicine at that stage, with a BSc, and the ability to go onto an MSc in that field or directly into employment.

I don't know why you're suggesting there's no crossover between the two, as someone who's studied both I'd suggest there's a lot.
Reply 2
You really need to stick it out, at least until the end of the term, before arriving at a decision on this. I really didn't enjoy my first term at medical school, but am loving it now. (4th year)
Also worth considering intercalating in something like Medical Physics, which may allow you to pick this interest up later.
You could intercalate as others have suggested but that's not necessarily the best option if you are now reasonably confident that you don't want to be a doctor. Only you know how certain you are about this and so whether you should (a) jump ship now, (b) wait it out a bit longer and decide next year, or (c) intercalate or pursue biomedical engineering if you still want to after medical school.

I don't know much about biomedical engineering but it's hard to imagine that you wouldn't be competitive with those A-level grades. There's no reason (that I can think of) why you can't apply through UCAS while remaining at medical school. I would consider emailing admissions tutors at Imperial/UCL directly when you submit your UCAS application to explain your specific circumstances. If you are already at Imperial or UCL, there might well be a mechanism by which you can change courses rather than applying as an external through UCAS. You need to find out who is available to speak to for advice - if not your Personal Tutor then there should be an overall Senior Tutor, Dean of Students, etc who will often be responsible for all students, i.e. based outside of the medical school.
Reply 5
Original post by Becca-Sarah
QM/BL offers an intercalated degree in Biomed Eng. They also offer it as a transfer option to medics who fail in early years. You've only been doing medicine a matter of weeks, could you hold out until the end of year two? You could then intercalate in Biomed Eng and make the decision to leave medicine at that stage, with a BSc, and the ability to go onto an MSc in that field or directly into employment.

I don't know why you're suggesting there's no crossover between the two, as someone who's studied both I'd suggest there's a lot.

Thanks for the reply I've found out since that my medical school does an IBSc in Medical Physics & Biomedical Eng so that's always an option in 3rd year.

I've done a lot of thinking this past week and I think I owe it to myself to at least stick out for a term before doing anything rash.

Apologies I didn't realise there was that much overlap since I've only studied the subject to A-level :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by navarre
You really need to stick it out, at least until the end of the term, before arriving at a decision on this. I really didn't enjoy my first term at medical school, but am loving it now. (4th year)

Yeah I totally agree just the structure of the course here is so lecture heavy just wish there was more clinical stuff...

I've had a long and hard think about this, waiting until the first term is over makes complete sense and gives a bigger picture. Would you mind saying where you go or which year you guys start clinics?

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by MonteCristo
You could intercalate as others have suggested but that's not necessarily the best option if you are now reasonably confident that you don't want to be a doctor. Only you know how certain you are about this and so whether you should (a) jump ship now, (b) wait it out a bit longer and decide next year, or (c) intercalate or pursue biomedical engineering if you still want to after medical school.

I don't know much about biomedical engineering but it's hard to imagine that you wouldn't be competitive with those A-level grades. There's no reason (that I can think of) why you can't apply through UCAS while remaining at medical school. I would consider emailing admissions tutors at Imperial/UCL directly when you submit your UCAS application to explain your specific circumstances. If you are already at Imperial or UCL, there might well be a mechanism by which you can change courses rather than applying as an external through UCAS. You need to find out who is available to speak to for advice - if not your Personal Tutor then there should be an overall Senior Tutor, Dean of Students, etc who will often be responsible for all students, i.e. based outside of the medical school.

Thanks for this I really appreciate it! :smile:

Yeah I think I'm gonna stick it out for a term and then see decide on what to do afterwards. I honestly believe I owe it to myself to stick out for the term, but it's nice to know that should things not improve there are options available.

I've just been assigned my personal tutor so that'll a good avenue for advice down the line.

Quick Reply

Latest