The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

I have moved schools and the teachers don't know me and they gave me really low predicted grades.
I got:
D in chemistry
C in Maths
B in biology
A in Economics.

This is going to make me cry :frown:
I did really well, in GCSEs and got:
My GCSEs are:
Further Maths - A
English Language - A*
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
French - B
Urdu - A
Physics - A*
ICT (DIDA) - A*
Business Studies - A*
English Literature - A*
Geography - A*
History - A*
Religious Studies - A*

I feel i have lost my motivation know. So many other people got 3As for prediction. I just feel mortified on what I have become.

Scroll to see replies

What's your question

I actually know a guy who did really well in GCSEs but didn't do well at AS
Reply 2
work hard and get good a2s and then just take a gap year and apply in it
Reply 3
Are you in year 12 or 13? If you're in year 12, don't worry. You can prove them wrong by doing really well in a test or homework. If you're really concerned, talk to them and show them your GCSE results. Please don't worry too much or lose your motivation, these predicted grades at the start of year 12 don't mean that much.
Fight fight and fight for your predicted grades to be raised. Theres no point being sad about it. DO NOT ACCEPT THIS!!!! Go to your teachers, explain why they should predict you higher, tell them your amazing GCSE results, if they still say no, be like "Can I do a test in a few weeks time and based on if I do well, would you predict me higher?". If they still say no, say "I strongly disagree, I feel the need to talk to the headmaster about about it". Bring your parents along if you speak to the headmaster, as the head is less likely to say no.
If they still don't agree (which, trust me is V V V V unlikely) then threaten to move schools and DO IT.
Predicted grades are so important, I'm 99% sure that if you don't settle for these grades given, they will be raised. Bottom line is, NEVER settle for something that you disagree on.
From AAA predicted, I managed to get A*A*A predicted last year :smile:
Original post by dididid
work hard and get good a2s and then just take a gap year and apply in it

95% of people in this situation would take that route. The other 5% would fight for their predicted grades to be raised or move schools just for them to be raised.
Reply 6
Thank you so much everyone. I want to do well in life. And this is is soooooooooooooo DEMOTIVATING. I know I am in year 12 and shouldn;t be too worried about them: but I am.

People who got As and Bs at GCSE got predicted higher than me. I know A-Levels are different, but surely I can't be that bad.

Should I go back to my old school?
Reply 7
Original post by Mathsmad123
95% of people in this situation would take that route. The other 5% would fight for their predicted grades to be raised or move schools just for them to be raised.

even if op gets his predicted grades moved op will be confined to applying only to universities that give out a lot of offers and don't focus on AS results as much.
Reply 8
Original post by BULL14
Thank you so much everyone. I want to do well in life. And this is is soooooooooooooo DEMOTIVATING. I know I am in year 12 and shouldn;t be too worried about them: but I am.

People who got As and Bs at GCSE got predicted higher than me. I know A-Levels are different, but surely I can't be that bad.

Should I go back to my old school?

don't be demotivated, work hard .... you can clearly achieve the higher grades .
Original post by dididid
even if op gets his predicted grades moved op will be confined to applying only to universities that give out a lot of offers and don't focus on AS results as much.

True. Im a gap year applicant so I'm just wondering because of the new A levels which are taken all at the end of year 13, Do you still enter your AS grades on your UCAS form? For example in biology the AS doesn't count towards the A2, so would you still put it in the UCAS form if you are continuing it for A2?
Original post by Mathsmad123
True. Im a gap year applicant so I'm just wondering because of the new A levels which are taken all at the end of year 13, Do you still enter your AS grades on your UCAS form? For example in biology the AS doesn't count towards the A2, so would you still put it in the UCAS form if you are continuing it for A2?

You have to declare every qualification you've achieved. So if its an actual AS then I'm pretty sure you do. but most schools are scrapping AS' now I think so they will only have mocks which you don't have to declare so soon it'll be entirely on predicted grades and possibly entrance tests
Reply 11
Am I exaggerating this too much: it is the start of the year after all.
Have you been predicted ABCD for AS?
Reply 13
Yep
what where your AS results though ?
Reply 15
Original post by dididid
what where your AS results though ?

I am in year 12
Original post by BULL14
I am in year 12

Then a few weeks in what is the drama?
The predictions are meaningless.
Teachers have little idea at this stage of what you might achieve. They guess based on the limited evidence they have seen so far. Some will go deliberately low to encourage you to work harder.
Just get on with your study and show what your real potential is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
ohh, then it doesn't matter at all, as long as you get good AS results , these predictions won't impact your university application at all, but 11 A*s+ at gcses to being predicted ABCD is ridiculous and incredibly unfair.
Lol honestly that's complete BS. They tried doing that at my Sixth Form saying I would get EEU, lol. I got AAB. Don't even acknowledge the predictions in the slightest.

That being said, don't let your GCSEs make you too comfortable. I know of quite a few people that had done really well at GCSEs but crap at A Level because they thought that the good GCSEs were a good reason to slack off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're only in year 12 you will have plenty of exams before these predicted grades are confirmed. Are you sure these aren't targets? Maybe based on SATS scored etc. We have only received target grades so far, no predicted grades.

Good luck and work hard to get these grades higher:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest