The Student Room Group

Why shouldn't tampons be taxed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sabertooth
Do you use a razor? Is it a straight razor that you sharpen before each use? Or do you use those tax-free disposable Mach IIIs?

Depending on how I'm feeling and what shave I want I use either a double edged razor (one which uses the tiny metal blades you can buy in packs by the hundred that fit into the handle) or I use an electric trimmer/razor.

Not entirely sure how this is relevant, but I figure I'd answer civilly and see where it goes.
Reply 21
Original post by Dheorl
Plenty of women seem to. Also please refer to my earlier comments about cups. And I spend as much time as possible throwing myself down mountains in various forms, I have plenty of experience washing off bloods stains.

plenty of women do? what is your source? is this commonly done in modernised, developed countries, or do you just mean the countries where disposables are not an option? or both? good for you for your um. experience in washing off blood stains. i'm sure you practise it while you're out and going about your daily life.

edit: i'll read up on the cups. i've never heard of it before in my life
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Precious Illusions
Women just need to learn to control their bladders.

Spoiler

Is this the quote from the young gentleman who keeps making headlines?

Original post by Dheorl
Depending on how I'm feeling and what shave I want I use either a double edged razor (one which uses the tiny metal blades you can buy in packs by the hundred that fit into the handle) or I use an electric trimmer/razor.

Not entirely sure how this is relevant, but I figure I'd answer civilly and see where it goes.

I also use double edged disposable razor blades (Derby) - I believe they are taxed?
Original post by hezzlington
What does that have to do with anything

OP keeps going on about the fact that tampons are disposable and hence the tax goes towards dealing with the trash built up. Most men use disposable razors which are not taxed yet still get thrown out and therefore shouldn't they also be taxed?
Reply 24
Original post by Precious Illusions
Women just need to learn to control their bladders.

Spoiler

Dw, I'm not suddenly going to start fund-raising to pay for biology lessons :wink:
Original post by Dheorl

You're saying tampons should be taxed because of the amount of waste they produce. Throwing out those tiny metal blades every couple of weeks also creates waste. However, they are not taxed.
OP keeps going on about the fact that tampons are disposable and hence the tax goes towards dealing with the trash built up. Most men use disposable razors which are not taxed yet still get thrown out and therefore shouldn't they also be taxed?

Women use disposable razors as well, but I see your point.
Reply 27
Original post by Arima
plenty of women do? what is your source? is this commonly done in modernised, developed countries, or do you just mean the countries where disposables are not an option? or both? good for you for your um. experience in washing off blood stains. i'm sure you practise it while you're out and going about your daily life.

edit: i'll read up on the cups. i've never heard of it before in my life

Well you did ask me if I knew how hard it was to wash off bloodstains, and seeing as for periods of time I've worked doing such things I guess you could say I did it whilst going about my daily life.

I'm happy that if nothing else this thread has bought to light alternatives for someone.

The plenty of women I refer to are various bloggers around the tinternet.
Reply 28
You're saying tampons should be taxed because of the amount of waste they produce. Throwing out those tiny metal blades every couple of weeks also creates waste. However, they are not taxed.

IMO they should be, and I'd happily pay that tax.

The majority of the time I use my electric razor for convenience, and only use the old fashioned method of shaving cream and a proper double edged razor when I want to relax in the morning and have a slightly more "luxury" feel.

If you could provide figures on razor blade tax I'd be interested. As far as I was aware they are taxed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dheorl

The majority of the time I use my electric razor for convenience, and only use the old fashioned method of shaving cream and a proper double edged razor when I want to relax in the morning and have a slightly more "luxury" feel.

If you could provide figures on razor blade tax I'd be interested. As far as I was aware they are taxed.

Yes, I also was sure they are taxed at the standard 20%, not sure where Sabertooth got the tax exemption fact from
Reply 30
Original post by Dheorl
Well you did ask me if I knew how hard it was to wash off bloodstains, and seeing as for periods of time I've worked doing such things I guess you could say I did it whilst going about my daily life.

I'm happy that if nothing else this thread has bought to light alternatives for someone.

The plenty of women I refer to are various bloggers around the tinternet.

oh nah i still wouldn't use it mate i'm uncomfortable with sticking things up my vagina. and for the record i don't use tampons either.

these various bloggers don't represent a population of women though; of course, many women do use reusables, but a significant majority do not. it's not just because the reusable alternatives aren't that well known, it's more for convenience sake. unfortunately not all women work with flexible hours or with blood for a living.
Original post by Dheorl

At least you're being consistent. :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Arima
oh nah i still wouldn't use it mate i'm uncomfortable with sticking things up my vagina. and for the record i don't use tampons either.

these various bloggers don't represent a population of women though; of course, many women do use reusables, but a significant majority do not. it's not just because the reusable alternatives aren't that well known, it's more for convenience sake. unfortunately not all women work with flexible hours or with blood for a living.

Fair enough. Your vagina, you can do with it as you please. You may be interested to also look into the various advancements in reusables. From what I gather due to the modern marvels of materials science they are rapidly evolving beyond a simple piece of flannel.

I never claimed a significant majority do, merely plenty (i.e. enough to show it's not just some random loon, but a suitable possibility for a range of women).
Original post by Jagwar Ma
Yes, I also was sure they are taxed at the standard 20%, not sure where Sabertooth got the tax exemption fact from

I got it from this politician's speech:
"It is absurd that while men's razors, children's nappies and even products like Jaffa Cakes, exotic meats and edible cake decorations are free from VAT, women are still having to pay additional costs on what is already an expensive yet vital product," said SNP MP Alison Thewliss.

But I did a google when you asked for a source and it appears that they are actually taxed. Sorry, I guess it's a case of the SNP being wrong again. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
I also use double edged disposable razor blades (Derby) - I believe they are taxed?

Yep, I currently use Derby blades in my Edwin Jagger razor. Keep meaning to try some different razor brands. AFAIK they are taxed, but I'd happily be proven wrong, in which case they can be added to my list of "things that aren't taxed but should be".
"It is absurd that while men's razors, children's nappies and even products like Jaffa Cakes, exotic meats and edible cake decorations are free from VAT, women are still having to pay additional costs on what is already an expensive yet vital product," said SNP MP Alison Thewliss.

But I did a google when you asked for a source and it appears that they are actually taxed. Sorry, I guess it's a case of the SNP being wrong again. :tongue:

Fair enough.To contribute to the thread, it's my personal opinion that tampons should not be taxed anymore than they are now.
Reply 36

No worries. You'd think in a perfect world you should be able to trust "facts" from MPs, but it unfortunately often isn't the case.
Reply 37
Fair enough.To contribute to the thread, it's my personal opinion that tampons should not be taxed anymore than they are now.

I agree. I wouldn't advocate an increase in tax, but I feel for a product to have no tax when it contributes to society in a negative way vs the alternatives is a bit odd.
Original post by Dheorl
In the capacity that they are there to act as representatives for the population, yes, the government should have the ability to decide how to raise money.

Also please don't try and twist my words, I said raise money for the governing of the country, not for the government.

I didn't mean anything regarding your second paragraph.

I was getting at if the government can and should decide how to raise money, then they can choose to not tax certain goods.
Reply 39
Original post by yudothis
I didn't mean anything regarding your second paragraph.

I was getting at if the government can and should decide how to raise money, then they can choose to not tax certain goods.

I'm not sure why you're getting at that point tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending