The Student Room Group

Why shouldn't tampons be taxed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Rachel58
For everyone recommending reusable pads, please tell us how that would work for someone that would need to wash it every hour and went to school? Wash it in public bathroom sinks while the blood free flows? I think most people would protest against that.

Plus, if women free-bled, most men would kick up a fuss, so why are only women being taxed for something that men also benefit from?

Not meaning to offend anyone, but from what I gather there's options utilising various materials that can supposedly last a day of "average flow" without being changed. If you need to change something like this hourly, then I would seriously suggest visiting a Dr about it.

I think the general idea of reusable pads is that they are swapped out into a bag for the 2 or 3 you may need whilst away from home and washed at the end of the day (or even at the end of your period if you buy enough). There are also options with swappable inserts so the "used" part you'd have to tuck away in a bag is smaller.

The reasons why I feel tax is suitable for disposable sanitary pads and tampons, regardless of who it effects, is aptly described throughout this thread.
Reply 81
I should point out I never mentioned cups being safer than tampons (or if I did it wasn't intentional). I was saying reusable pads are safer than tampons.

I suppose when I refer to tampons being taxed I feel disposable pads also should be for the same reasons. Being taxed for choosing and option that has a greater negative effect on society is part of life (or at least should be IMO).
Well I tried a moon cup and couldn't even get it in. I'll stick with tampons for the time being, unless a more environmentally friendly product that is also comfortable for me to use is made.
I do know one girl who has no problem using moon cups, everyone has different preferences I guess. I'd never wear pads as they feel like wearing a nappy, but the plus is there is no risk of toxic shock syndrome.
So which products aren't taxed?
I just searched the thread for the word condom.

It wasn't in the thread.

Ergo, you are officially more intelligent than the 'feminists' I have added on Facebook :biggrin:

I'm not even joking. "Men get free condoms, why don't girls get free tampons" is an actual attempt at an argument. MAAAD alliteration there son.
Original post by Dheorl
Not meaning to offend anyone, but from what I gather there's options utilising various materials that can supposedly last a day of "average flow" without being changed. If you need to change something like this hourly, then I would seriously suggest visiting a Dr about it.

I think the general idea of reusable pads is that they are swapped out into a bag for the 2 or 3 you may need whilst away from home and washed at the end of the day (or even at the end of your period if you buy enough). There are also options with swappable inserts so the "used" part you'd have to tuck away in a bag is smaller.

The reasons why I feel tax is suitable for disposable sanitary pads and tampons, regardless of who it effects, is aptly described throughout this thread.

Thanks for the advice, medical professional. Can I ask a further question - when I was nine years old and had to change pads every hour but doctors refused to prescribe me anything because I was too young, what should I have done? Carried 6 bloody pads around all day?

Do you want to carry a bag of blood throughout the day? With teenage boys who make fun of periods? Who, even when they can't, say that they "can smell period blood"? Would you be happy doing that?
Reply 85
Thanks for the advice, medical professional. Can I ask a further question - when I was nine years old and had to change pads every hour but doctors refused to prescribe me anything because I was too young, what should I have done? Carried 6 bloody pads around all day?

Do you want to carry a bag of blood throughout the day? With teenage boys who make fun of periods? Who, even when they can't, say that they "can smell period blood"? Would you be happy doing that?

No need to get snarky, just relaying the information that's out there about the modern reusable ones. Seemingly they are more effective than the disposable options so maybe they would have been a good option for you.

As for your random, pointless, question. No, I'd have no issue with it.

If you really can't use cups, or reusable pads, then there should either be an option to have a Dr waive the tax if it bothers you that much, or you just deal with it. For the vast majority of women this would not be the case, and things such as this should be modelled around the norm, not the extreme.
Original post by Dheorl
No need to get snarky, just relaying the information that's out there about the modern reusable ones. Seemingly they are more effective than the disposable options so maybe they would have been a good option for you.

As for your random, pointless, question. No, I'd have no issue with it.

If you really can't use cups, or reusable pads, then there should either be an option to have a Dr waive the tax if it bothers you that much, or you just deal with it. For the vast majority of women this would not be the case, and things such as this should be modelled around the norm, not the extreme.

I'm literally a woman who has suffered with periods for 8 years - I know more than you! You know nothing apart from the clean and nice parts of periods. You've never experienced it.

What about the costs of replacing stained underwear? I mean, pads leak more than tampons, and moon cups spill on removal but tampons don't, so I assume you will personally pay for women's new underwear?
Reply 87
Original post by Ella-keturah
Well I tried a moon cup and couldn't even get it in. I'll stick with tampons for the time being, unless a more environmentally friendly product that is also comfortable for me to use is made.
I do know one girl who has no problem using moon cups, everyone has different preferences I guess. I'd never wear pads as they feel like wearing a nappy, but the plus is there is no risk of toxic shock syndrome.
So which products aren't taxed?

There are a variety of cups out there. It might be worth having a search around and trying some different ones, if it's something you'd seriously like as an option. Moon cups definitely seem the most standard. There is also the option of underwear that supposedly feels less "diaper like" than pads.

Tbh I'm not 100% sure on exactly what is taxed and at what rate out of all the options, considering the distinguishing between clothing, and purely menstrual products, and products that also protect against incontinence etc. As has been displayed on this thread already there is so much misinformation out there it's hard to sift through it all. There is mention of the standard reusable options being available from clinics for free, which I would be all for on the assumption that the disposable options retain their tax.
Reply 88
I'm literally a woman who has suffered with periods for 8 years - I know more than you! You know nothing apart from the clean and nice parts of periods. You've never experienced it.

What about the costs of replacing stained underwear? I mean, pads leak more than tampons, and moon cups spill on removal but tampons don't, so I assume you will personally pay for women's new underwear?

I've had jobs which involved cleaning campsite toilets; trust me, a lot of girls aren't overly careful with them and I know all about what they're like to deal with when they've been used. I'm also a reasoned, at times possibly even a mature guy, who's had long term girlfriends. You honestly think my only experience of a period is seeing a sealed pack on the shelves? If you're going to jump to such assumptions then I'll simply stop replying to you right now.

I'm not doubting that you know more about the actual experience than me, and if you believe there is a reason the vast majority of women can't use one of the many reusable options then I'm all ears; it is after all why I started this thread. There'll always be outliers who suffer, but that happened irregardless of issue or gender and is just part of life. As previously mentioned, I have to eat double what most do just to stay a healthy weight. Is it fair I have to pay for this extra food?

Tbh I've never had much trouble cleaning blood out of clothing.
Original post by Dheorl
I've had jobs which involved cleaning campsite toilets; trust me, a lot of girls aren't overly careful with them and I know all about what they're like to deal with when they've been used. I'm also a reasoned, at times possibly even a mature guy, who's had long term girlfriends. You honestly think my only experience of a period is seeing a sealed pack on the shelves? If you're going to jump to such assumptions then I'll simply stop replying to you right now.

I'm not doubting that you know more about the actual experience than me, and if you believe there is a reason the vast majority of women can't use one of the many reusable options then I'm all ears; it is after all why I started this thread. There'll always be outliers who suffer, but that happened irregardless of issue or gender and is just part of life. As previously mentioned, I have to eat double what most do just to stay a healthy weight. Is it fair I have to pay for this extra food?

Tbh I've never had much trouble cleaning blood out of clothing.

Try cleaning blood off clothing while you're crying in bed, unable to move because your cramps are too bad. Try cleaning blood off clothing when you've fainted from pain. Try cleaning blood off your bedroom floor after a bad night when you have no time before school. Have you ever experienced the reality of a period?

As previously stated by someone else, some women can't get mooncups in, as not all women are shaped the same. Some women can't use pads because they're swimmers or the like. Some women suffer with being uncomfortable as free bleeding is seen as disgusting.

You cleaning blood is voluntary. I don't choose to climb mountains so I don't get blood on my clothing. I don't choose to have a period, still got the stains on my mattress!

You don't even understand what a metabolism is. Eat better food, not more. Or lose weight. Or "see a doctor".
Reply 90
Try cleaning blood off clothing while you're crying in bed, unable to move because your cramps are too bad. Try cleaning blood off clothing when you've fainted from pain. Try cleaning blood off your bedroom floor after a bad night when you have no time before school. Have you ever experienced the reality of a period?

As previously stated by someone else, some women can't get mooncups in, as not all women are shaped the same. Some women can't use pads because they're swimmers or the like. Some women suffer with being uncomfortable as free bleeding is seen as disgusting.

You cleaning blood is voluntary. I don't choose to climb mountains so I don't get blood on my clothing. I don't choose to have a period, still got the stains on my mattress!

You don't even understand what a metabolism is. Eat better food, not more. Or lose weight. Or "see a doctor".

Still making random assumptions in a snarky tone? Meh, well I'm done replying to you. By all means, reply again without the rudeness to go with it and I'll address whatever points you make.
Original post by Dheorl
Still making random assumptions in a snarky tone? Meh, well I'm done replying to you. By all means, reply again without the rudeness to go with it and I'll address whatever points you make.

Says the guy who made random assumptions in a snarky tone in the original post.

I see no snark in my reply. Just brutal honesty that you can't handle because you don't understand periods.
Reply 92
Says the guy who made random assumptions in a snarky tone in the original post.

I see no snark in my reply. Just brutal honesty that you can't handle because you don't understand periods.

Please highlight the section of the OP that you found to be snarky. None of it was intended that way; it was meant to be a reasonable debate, which, until your arrival, it largely was.

The rudeness I was referring to in your latest reply was the comments about my diet. I eat very healthy, carb and protein rich, home-cooked food. The Dr would never do anything because for a male my age having a "healthy appetite" is just part of life. I understand that it is just part of life and a cost I have to deal with.

I understand periods just fine. You've still to provide a reason why the majority of women couldn't use a disposable product for their day to day lives.
Original post by Dheorl
Please highlight the section of the OP that you found to be snarky. None of it was intended that way; it was meant to be a reasonable debate, which, until your arrival, it largely was.

The rudeness I was referring to in your latest reply was the comments about my diet. I eat very healthy, carb and protein rich, home-cooked food. The Dr would never do anything because for a male my age having a "healthy appetite" is just part of life. I understand that it is just part of life and a cost I have to deal with.

I understand periods just fine. You've still to provide a reason why the majority of women couldn't use a disposable product for their day to day lives.

Thought you weren't going to respond?

When you reply without the rudeness, I'll address your points.
Reply 94
Thought you weren't going to respond?

When you reply without the rudeness, I'll address your points.

I responded to enquire where you thought I was being rude, as that was never my intention, and clarify what you didn't seem to understand about your own post. Unfortunately your intentions are clearly different. Hey ho, I guess you're what, 17? I suppose expecting a mature debate without you resorting to such pettiness is asking too much.
Oh, because bleeding once a month for a week is "luxury".
Ignoring all of the long emotional posts, we obviously shouldn't slap taxes on essential products.

As for the person claiming that hygiene products are not essential - you are not a caveman living 400,000 years ago. In a 1st world country in 2016, hygiene is considered to be essential, deal with it.
Reply 97
Original post by Fred5134
Ignoring all of the long emotional posts, we obviously shouldn't slap taxes on essential products.

As for the person claiming that hygiene products are not essential - you are not a caveman living 400,000 years ago. In a 1st world country in 2016, hygiene is considered to be essential, deal with it.

Do you see disposable products as essential then?

If so I'd be curious to hear what your thoughts are on taxing items such as food and clothing.
Reply 98
Original post by Ishax
Oh, because bleeding once a month for a week is "luxury".

I don't think anyone in this thread has claimed it was. It isn't taxed as such either. Do you have anything else to contribute?
Original post by Dheorl
I don't think anyone in this thread has claimed it was. It isn't taxed as such either. Do you have anything else to contribute?

It was sarcasm lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending