The Student Room Group

is it ok to use websites for an essay?

I have to write an essay on whether the mind is a tabula rasa like Locke claimed and I'm finding more useful websites than I am books but is it ok to use/ reference websites as I've been told otherwise by another student?
Reply 1
Original post by Taashx_
I have to write an essay on whether the mind is a tabula rasa like Locke claimed and I'm finding more useful websites than I am books but is it ok to use/ reference websites as I've been told otherwise by another student?

You can use websites, but they have to be reputable websites. You shouldn't use Wikipedia, for example, because anyone can edit it. These people might edit it as a joke (there have been Wikipedia pages edited to show someone is dead when they aren't) or may just be misinformed. Message boards like TSR, Mumsnet, or DigitalSpy aren't great sources either, again because anyone can write things.

But if you use a reputable site then it's fine. These might be things like a charity website - The Alzheimer's Society would be a good choice for information on Alzheimer's. Or you might find online journals, published works, or even PDF copies of books.

Any websites you do use must be referenced. In your reference, you need to include the date that you accessed the site. So if all of the sites are accessed the day before the deadline, your tutors will know it was very last minute.

Quick Reply

Latest