The Student Room Group

Holiday or university? Help me!

Hey guys.
My friends have invited me to a kickass holiday this summer to celebrate the end of college, and I really want to go. Problem is, looking at my university funding options I am gonna be financially f*cked at uni.
Cheapest accomodation at the uni I want to go to is £4.5k. Based on parents income I will receive a £6k loan. After my calculations, that leaves me £4 to live on per day. The holiday is £600, and I don't have that but even if I did I told my friend it would go straight to savings for uni. My question is; should I go on this holiday? Does it make financial sense? If so, can someone explain how and how I should go about being able to actually LIVE at uni?
Reply 1
Original post by cheaterstride
Hey guys.
My friends have invited me to a kickass holiday this summer to celebrate the end of college, and I really want to go. Problem is, looking at my university funding options I am gonna be financially f*cked at uni.
Cheapest accomodation at the uni I want to go to is £4.5k. Based on parents income I will receive a £6k loan. After my calculations, that leaves me £4 to live on per day. The holiday is £600, and I don't have that but even if I did I told my friend it would go straight to savings for uni. My question is; should I go on this holiday? Does it make financial sense? If so, can someone explain how and how I should go about being able to actually LIVE at uni?

You can work through Christmas holidays this year to get some of the money, maybe Easter too. Or get a Saturday job and work through until next summer. You have nearly ten months before you go to uni. You should be able to earn £60 a month somehow. I do eleven hours a week in a supermarket and bring home £300 a month, so if you can find half that, you'll have more than twice what you need.

You can also work while you're at uni. Many students need part-time jobs in order to survive.

If you don't want to earn the money, then it's a straight adult-style decision between spending on what you *want* vs spending on what you *need*. Make the wrong decision and you suffer, same as you will daily for the rest of your life. You're bound to stuff up sometimes - it's a life skill and a learning experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending