The Student Room Group

UCAS Reference

So my teacher said i'm ready to send my application but she hasn't done my reference. I am not really sure how the reference works, does it get sent with the application or after it? It is quite confusing. I want to get it sent ASAP for peace of mind, but my teacher is very slow.
Reply 1

Before arranging the reference - The School/College/Centre will let you know when and how to pay your application fee

Then they will have a reference written for you by a teacher or tutor who knows you - You won't have access to this so you won't need to do anything for it

Next they will send your application to UCAS for you

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/how-get-ucas-undergraduate-reference

If you are concerned about how long a teacher is taking with your reference then speak to them and ask about your application. Your application will not be sent off without a reference.
Reply 2
Original post by EmmaCx

Before arranging the reference - The School/College/Centre will let you know when and how to pay your application fee

Then they will have a reference written for you by a teacher or tutor who knows you - You won't have access to this so you won't need to do anything for it

Next they will send your application to UCAS for you

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/how-get-ucas-undergraduate-reference

If you are concerned about how long a teacher is taking with your reference then speak to them and ask about your application. Your application will not be sent off without a reference.

do i need to pay for it before the reference gets added?
Reply 3
Original post by natashac99
do i need to pay for it before the reference gets added?

I am doing my UCAS application as an independent person so I can't really say how it works in terms of paying if you're doing it through a school. You should talk to your teacher and ask for information on the cost of your application as they will be the ones that are able to provide the best advice. The payment must be made before it gets sent off (i.e. you pay and then it sends) and so you would only pay after the reference is attached. Again speak to your teacher for confirmation of this and to talk to them about your reference concerns.
Reply 4
Original post by EmmaCx
I am doing my UCAS application as an independent person so I can't really say how it works in terms of paying if you're doing it through a school. You should talk to your teacher and ask for information on the cost of your application as they will be the ones that are able to provide the best advice. The payment must be made before it gets sent off (i.e. you pay and then it sends) and so you would only pay after the reference is attached. Again speak to your teacher for confirmation of this and to talk to them about your reference concerns.

okay thank you! :smile:
I have also applied through my school this year through ucas.
Since I have gone through everything you have, I can confirm definitely that you will have to pay the application fee then your application will be sent to your sixth form or college, who will approve of your application, add me in your reference to your application before they send your application to ucas. Like most sixth form and colleges, you will probably not be able to see your ucas reference just like me.
Original post by SabithaK
I have also applied through my school this year through ucas.
Since I have gone through everything you have, I can confirm definitely that you will have to pay the application fee then your application will be sent to your sixth form or college, who will approve of your application, add me in your reference to your application before they send your application to ucas. Like most sixth form and colleges, you will probably not be able to see your ucas reference just like me.

Some sixth forms/colleges pay the UCAS fee for their students.
Annoyed at our school. Paid and sent application to them in September and they are still sitting on it for reference. Mentioned it would be done around now but looks like they are sitting on it till December. Fed up with them and takes fun out of applying. In for another few weeks wait.

Quick Reply