The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

OU full-time or part-time?

Hi guys,

I'm looking at studying law via Open University, I currently have a full time job so the OU recommend doing a part-time 6 year degree. However, a friend of mine has just started an OU degree in engineering and says you can realistically do a 6 year degree in 3 years (the same as a full-time course).
So although they don't recommend it, is it at all feasible and realistic to study a part-time OU degree in 3 years?

Thanks,
Reply 1
Original post by stonetear
Hi guys,

I'm looking at studying law via Open University, I currently have a full time job so the OU recommend doing a part-time 6 year degree. However, a friend of mine has just started an OU degree in engineering and says you can realistically do a 6 year degree in 3 years (the same as a full-time course).
So although they don't recommend it, is it at all feasible and realistic to study a part-time OU degree in 3 years?

Thanks,

It depends completely what else you do. If you only study, then it would be fine to do the OU degree in 3 years. If you work full time and have a full social life then it would be impossible.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks, great advice:smile:
Hi guys,

Thanks,

Bare in mind even if you study the OU degree full time you still cant get a maintainance loan.
Hi guys,

Thanks,

It all depends on what you can manage.

It is possible to study full-time with a full time job, but it will mean social sacrifices.

But if you are like me, I hate the idea of studying a subject for 6-8 years.

However, there are ways of relieving pressure if you are savvy with the module start dates. i know with the broader subjects such as Business there are a multitude of different modules you can take, and they might have a Feb, April and/or October start date. So if you map your path way accordingly, you can study part-time, back-to-back whilst only over lapping modules for a few months at a time.

E.g.
Year 1
Module 1 (60 credits) starts October (ends June)
Module 2 (60 credits) starts April (ends September)
Year 2
Year 3

IMO this is much better than being flat-out for 7-8 months then having a summer twiddling your thumbs. It's worked for me so far .. And I'm year 3.

Quick Reply