The Student Room Group

It's embarrassing to only speak English.

Even my parents can speak 2 languages, they only speak to me in English because they both understand it. Everyone I know can speak 2 or more languages. My best friend can speak 6 languages.

It's embarrassing when people speak in other languages to each other because I can't join in. I am actually starting to have a hatred to people that can speak in another language. I know it's stupid because English isn't most people first language (like my parents).

Does anyone else here only speak English? Also, I'm 16 so is there a way I can learn another's language after I leave school?

Language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language

Scroll to see replies

Our colonialist nature tells us to let the rest of the world learn English instead.
Reply 2
Fine though because most people in other countries learn English anyway so there's no point in us learning some other language.
Original post by funnyfunny1221
Even my parents can speak 2 languages, they only speak to me in English because they both understand it. Everyone I know can speak 2 or more languages. My best friend can speak 6 languages.

It's embarrassing when people speak in other languages to each other because I can't join in. I am actually starting to have a hatred to people that can speak in another language. I know it's stupid because English isn't most people first language (like my parents).

Does anyone else here only speak English? Also, I'm 16 so is there a way I can learn another's language after I leave school?

Language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language language

are we talking fluently as for me that English or most essential stuff as I can speak 8 languages not including English at that level
Reply 4
There are many courses that can teach you online so maybe give that a look into.

I am actually starting to have a hatred to people that can speak in another language.

This is just another way of saying "I am jealous that other people can speak more languages than me". Learn another language then.
there will be language courses near you at night school or whatever. you could also teach yourself if you wanted to
Reply 6
In other countries they already learn English at school so there's no real point of us learning another language. It's nothingness o worry about.
Original post by UWS
There are many courses that can teach you online so maybe give that a look into.

This is just another way of saying "I am jealous that other people can speak more languages than me". Learn another language then.

Do you know what jealousy means? I do want to learn another language but I have no time. 😖 My parents didn't teach me their own language(s) so sometimes I feel isolated around my own relatives.
Do you know what jealousy means? I do want to learn another language but I have no time. 😖 My parents didn't teach me their own language(s) so sometimes I feel isolated around my own relatives.

There are many ways to learn a new language online, for example. There are so many useful courses that are completely free of charge. Have a go at them. You say you have no time but… you're here on TSR? It only needs about 10 minutes a day. Dedicate your TSR time to learning a language.

Moved to a better section.
Try the dualingo app. It really helped me when i was taking French GCSE and there are so many languages to choose from.
And dw i cant speak punjabi properly and im nearly 17 but im slowly starting to understand it by watching dramas and askimg my parents when theyr speaking what certain words mean. Its working for me kus im picking up on a lot of new words and how to say things. Give it a try. :smile:
Original post by iEthan
There are many ways to learn a new language online, for example. There are so many useful courses that are completely free of charge. Have a go at them. You say you have no time but… you're here on TSR? It only needs about 10 minutes a day. Dedicate your TSR time to learning a language.

Moved to a better section.

I'm only on here once every 2 months...
I'm only on here once every 2 months...

I'm very sure you can find the time. I manage it with two jobs, my full-time education (A-Levels) and my stuff here on TSR. Just find some time, make some time. If you are determined, you can make the time. It's so valuable to learn another language. :h:
Original post by iEthan
I'm very sure you can find the time. I manage it with two jobs, my full-time education (A-Levels) and my stuff here on TSR. Just find some time, make some time. If you are determined, you can make the time. It's so valuable to learn another language. :h:

Damn, maybe I procrastinate too much.
😄 Thanks for being encouraging.
Damn, maybe I procrastinate too much.
😄

:giggle: that could be the case! What language(s) are you interested in?
chill, im sure alot of people only know one language too
like for examle im sure a lot of people in bangladesh only know bengali
its not a bad thing, as long as you have some sort of way to communicate with friends and family, who cares about how many languages you know??

Spoiler

There's nothing wrong with only knowing English but like already said if you want to know another, you always have the time to learn it. I myself am doing German in college, starting self-studying French and will do Russian at university alongside German; because I want to speak more than 1 language that much. So if you really really want to do it there's no reason why you can't :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I can only speak English. Probably because I'm English. Was born in England. Etc.

As such, I don't see why that's a bad thing when well over 90% of the people who live in the same country as me all speak the same language. You say "embarrassing", I say "practical".
Here in the states there's a staying and it goes speak English or die
I felt the same way before I improved my French, so I know what you mean! But rather than aiming to be able to speak another language perfectly, perhaps just choose a language you want to learn (perhaps one of your parents' language so that you can practice at home?) and aim to improve every day, whether it's by learning 1 new word, by studying some grammar, or by practicing your speaking! It's consistency that matters, and everything that you can say means that you can access another small part of the culture. And little by little, you'll develop fluency, even if it takes a long time!
Original post by Boobboynippletoy
You should never be embarrassed that you speak only English you should be proud that you are an English-speaking person and not another foreign tongue I prefer I presume your Caucasian and you should also be proud of your Caucasian yes never sway from your own color I'm not racist I'm just proud of who I am I'm also Caucasian caucasians rule all the stable countries in this world that's not something I made up in my mind that is a fact

... and you had the urge to revive a 3 year old thread, only to prove that human beings can successfully mate with vegetables :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest