The Student Room Group

Which University for Law?

Hi,

I'm trying to find good universities to apply to (for law) in 2017 and I just can't decide. I've shortlisted a few, but would really appreciate any opinions or comments on these universities since I won't have the chance to visit them. Here's the few I was considering:

-Durham
-Nottingham
-Leeds
-Newcastle
-Birmingham
-Lancaster
-Manchester
-Sussex

I've already applied to Cambridge and I'd rather not study in London or Scotland, so I don't have any of those in my choices. My grades shouldn't be a problem since I think my predicted are at least 40 (from the IB). I just need to decide on my four other choices now...

I've already looked at the league tables and these are all pretty high up, so the deciding factors for me now are the atmosphere/community and what you can do near the uni (I would prefer a uni near or in a city but would do with one that isn't if the quality of the uni makes up for it!)

Again, I'd really appreciate any kind of information since I want to apply soon but right now I have no idea which of these I'd go for!

My advice: don't pay much attention to league tables - they are nearly always wrong. I wouldn't call Newcastle, Leeds or Sussex particularly prestigious. If you're not willing to consider London or Scotland, then after Oxbridge I think the top 3 are Durham, Warwick and Manchester. But you should also consider Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, Nottingham, Exeter, York and maybe also Royal Holloway (which isn't actually in London, despite its name).
Reply 2
Thanks! I wasn't sure where to start, that's why I looked at league tables. I'll consider your input in my selection :smile:
Reply 3
Might be worth considering Bristol; it offers great undergraduate support and opportunities for you to build a strong legal cv. The nightlife, I am told, is second to none and the location is quite a winner for many students. Not to mention it has one of the highest student satisfaction rates, particularly amongst law students.

If you are looking a bit more long-term, should you aim to study the LPC or BPTC immediately after your undergraduate degree then there is of course the BPP school in Bristol, which again has strong satisfaction amongst students and really does help to enhance your graduate prospects.

Just throwing it out there, I went to Swansea University (which has now overtaken Cardiff in the league table) and it is truly an amazing law school. It has improved dramatically since I graduated in 2015; the lectures, work placements and graduate prospects are again very, very good. Not to mention, the campus is a stone throw away from some of the nicest beaches in south Wales... and the night life is certainly up there with the very best.
Bristol,Durham,Warwick

Quick Reply