The Student Room Group

How do you keep revision notes in your head?

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my reiviosn, I make notes and stuff early but I find that I cannot keep the information in my head, it just wont stay. I think it could due to cramming.
But how do you get revision notes to stay in your head without cramming?
my revision methods are:
A3 poster for Psychology
A4 poster for ethics
revision cards for business and Philosophy

thank you! x
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _Holly98
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my reiviosn, I make notes and stuff early but I find that I cannot keep the information in my head, it just wont stay. I think it could due to cramming.
my revision methods are:
A3 poster for Psychology
A4 poster for ethics

thank you! x

It's all about repetition, so you need a method were you are constantly building on information and keeping it there. I m a big fan of using quizzes and flashcards of quizlet to keep information in my head.
Reply 2
Original post by _Holly98
Hi everyone,

my revision methods are:
A3 poster for Psychology
A4 poster for ethics

thank you! x

Writing again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

You made a set of flashcards for chapter one? So what... Make some detailed notes on the same chapter. A month or so later make some more flashcards.

Repetition is key.
Reply 3
I have the same problem with economics notes. However i thought of some tips which might be useful to you (haven't tested some yet but will)

Tested:
-Try Pneumonics, for instance if you have to remember 3 name like Tom Sam & Irish... remember SIT
-Read your notes over and over and close your eyea while remembering them.

Not yet tested
-Try to make a summarised notes(in bullet forms) of your notes on an A4 paper. Make sure one chapter that covered like 20 pages in your copybook will cover just one or 2 A4 papers. In that way, you just need to review those summarise notes and get an idea what the chapter covers.
-Write the outline of an essay type question! If you are not yet ready with writing your essay type questions, just write an outline of it to see how many components were you able to remember. For instance if you are talking advantages & disadvantages of mobile phone( This is just a random topic to make it more comprehensive) , just jot down stuff like: Expensive, Help in everyday life, Many functions etc
Posted from TSR Mobile
For history, I like to make mindmaps of topic areas/question focuses and then expand on each point.

For maths, it's question after question after question....

For physics.....yeah, I'm probably not too great to give advice on that as I just watch youtube vids on the topics and sit there like "okay....". But I have made up a load of questions on each topic on quizlet and sometimes test myself on them.

I also like to say things out loud as I think if " well if I can say it clearly, then it's simple enough to remember in my head." My family don't like it though haha - for my GCSE's I spent most of my time walking outside and reading out the cards to myself from memory....I must've looked mad, but it's what works for me :colondollar:
When i am studying something knew i read what i need to do twice through so it makes sense, then write down any notes and highlight the key themes that is the most important. Once i have done that i will read through it again and then i move on to the next thing i need to learn or revise, i do the same steps as last time and then i got back to very beginning of everything i have written from that day and re read it all once more.Hope this helped, and this is how i get high scores in my tests at school.

Quick Reply

Latest