The Student Room Group

Will a graduate LLB from a British Law school allow me to sit for the bar in NYS

How can I delete this thread?
(edited 5 years ago)
Bump. Can't help but I'm interested in the topic.
Reply 2
I wish to work in the arab gulf and not in the US and US certified lawyers are in high demand there especially dubai. I am christian middle eastern.
So J-SP ur confirming that a 2 year LLb with a Us LLm will gurantee i can sit for the new york bar? Or is this speculation based on reading the guideliness cuz ive read them too and i dont want to enter the degree based on interpertain of vague condition as set by the ny bar. If u can show me evidence or real ife ppl who have do it. That would be much appreciated.
I am a US citizen too
(edited 7 years ago)
Contact the NY State Board of law examiners.

The information is on the website re the eligibility criteria to sit the exam btw, but as per your instructions I will leave you to interpret it.
I would also note what JSP said.

Mailing Address
New York State Board of Law Examiners
Corporate Plaza Building 3
254 Washington Avenue Extension
Albany, New York 12203-5195

Phone Numbers Office: (518) 453-5990
Original post by J-SP
As I understand it, a two year UK LLB won't allow you to sit the NYB.

A US LLM will though.

You have to be aware though that an LLM + passing the NYB does not make you a competitive applicant in the US. Most legal jobs in the US will expect you to have a JD.

Great barrier of entry on display there.
I am completing a part-time LLB, which takes four years. I am going the traditional route (no Senior Status.)

Am I eligible for the NY Bar? BARBRI International said no (on an informal phone call.) I think they're wrong. The below guidance seems to very clearly state that part-time education is accepted:

Durational Equivalence (520.6 [1] [a]). The applicant’s period of law study must be successfully completed. The program of study must also be “substantially” equivalent in duration to a full-time or part-time program required at a law school in the United States approved by the American Bar Association (ABA) and in substantial compliance with the instructional and academic calendar requirements of section 520.3(c)(1)(i) and (ii) and 520.3(d)(1).

Thoughts?
Usually, you need to have a law degree (any QLD will do) and then you need to have at least 2 years of experience practicing law, so if you do LLB plus 2 years trainee-ship or pupilage you will pass as lawyer in the US, but not as an attorney. For that you need to pass the bar, you actually do not need a degree to sit bar but that route is rather difficult and it takes way longer than getting a degree.

Also, unless you ace Oxbridge, you are unemployable, all firms will ignore you. There are plenty of legal clinics, something like the CAB that are desperate for qualified help, they would take you in as a volunteer or a part timer and you can sort of build up from there.

Another thing is lots of legal jobs in the US require security clearance and vetting that is not really an option for a foreigner.
Original post by yudothis
Great barrier of entry on display there.

That's why US lawyers are PAAAIIID. Most effective barrier is paying 75k over 3 years for your JD.
What do I have to do to get do the bar?
a four year LLB at university?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending