The Student Room Group

Currently at a C in Drama GCSE, how can I get an A

I am currently at a C in gcse drama, but I really want to do it for a level. I want to get an A, but i need to improve on my actual performing techniques, such as body language, voice and accents. I am pretty good at them, but I just don't show them on stage as I am quite nervous and afraid to come out of my shell. Please someone give me advice on how to improve and what I can do, it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by 123_123
I am currently at a C in gcse drama, but I really want to do it for a level. I want to get an A, but i need to improve on my actual performing techniques, such as body language, voice and accents. I am pretty good at them, but I just don't show them on stage as I am quite nervous and afraid to come out of my shell. Please someone give me advice on how to improve and what I can do, it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance :smile:

I have no clue if what I'm going to say will be helpful or not, so I applogise in advance?

I guess you need to learn to feel comfortable with yourself, around others. Try practising in front of mirrors?
I used to do that and coming up to my final performance, whenever I had free time at home, I'd rehearse till I knew everything back to front and front to back. That way I'd know that if I slipped up, it wouldn't be because I forgot my lines and it made it easier to rehearse.
Also if you could rehearse on where ever you're going to be performing it, you would feel more comfortable with the "stage" and it would make the real things feel like not so much of a big deal.

If you can, try and relate what you're saying to yourself or someone you know and that way, it is more meaningful to you. All the pieces I couldn't do that in, I couldn't act so well because it just didn't "click" with me.

I was the quietest person in my drama class (well I guess I still am). I didn't real break out of my shell until my last performance and that took so much work becoming comfortable with myself. Also, I was comfortable with the people around me - it was my favourite group to work with because I got the choice and it didn't take so long to become comfortable with them as it did with others because I felt they wouldn't laugh at me or judge me (though in truth, most people in my class wouldn't have).

My motto in life is "Fake it till you make it" - If you don't feel you can do something, that you do it anyway and pretend you can. If you pretend you feel confident and act confidently (walking straighter etc), you'll eventually feel more comfortable with yourself and it wont be so hard around others.

What grade are you on in the written part?

(Sorry again for what I'm pretty sure is unstructured, probably unhelpful, weird ramblings :s-smilie:)
Reply 2
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
I have no clue if what I'm going to say will be helpful or not, so I applogise in advance?

I guess you need to learn to feel comfortable with yourself, around others. Try practising in front of mirrors?
I used to do that and coming up to my final performance, whenever I had free time at home, I'd rehearse till I knew everything back to front and front to back. That way I'd know that if I slipped up, it wouldn't be because I forgot my lines and it made it easier to rehearse.
Also if you could rehearse on where ever you're going to be performing it, you would feel more comfortable with the "stage" and it would make the real things feel like not so much of a big deal.

If you can, try and relate what you're saying to yourself or someone you know and that way, it is more meaningful to you. All the pieces I couldn't do that in, I couldn't act so well because it just didn't "click" with me.

I was the quietest person in my drama class (well I guess I still am). I didn't real break out of my shell until my last performance and that took so much work becoming comfortable with myself. Also, I was comfortable with the people around me - it was my favourite group to work with because I got the choice and it didn't take so long to become comfortable with them as it did with others because I felt they wouldn't laugh at me or judge me (though in truth, most people in my class wouldn't have).

My motto in life is "Fake it till you make it" - If you don't feel you can do something, that you do it anyway and pretend you can. If you pretend you feel confident and act confidently (walking straighter etc), you'll eventually feel more comfortable with yourself and it wont be so hard around others.

What grade are you on in the written part?

(Sorry again for what I'm pretty sure is unstructured, probably unhelpful, weird ramblings :s-smilie:)

Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate you taking the time to write this. I can relate to this and your motto is something I'm trying to follow. My current grade is a C, but I'm not really sure about any specific exams or anything. I know that I need to come out of my shell and be more confident with things like body language and accents and overall to be more adventurous with my roles. Do you have any tips on how to get a better grade, or even an A/A* (I know it's a stretch from a C, but this is important to me)? Thank you again for your reply :smile:
Try not to be scared about coming out of your shell. Your role on the stage is to entertain, engage and sometimes inform. You have to sort of forget that you are 123_123 and BE the character. Try and remember that you only look sillier for holding back, and no one will judge you for really embodying your character!
Original post by 123_123
Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate you taking the time to write this. I can relate to this and your motto is something I'm trying to follow. My current grade is a C, but I'm not really sure about any specific exams or anything. I know that I need to come out of my shell and be more confident with things like body language and accents and overall to be more adventurous with my roles. Do you have any tips on how to get a better grade, or even an A/A* (I know it's a stretch from a C, but this is important to me)? Thank you again for your reply :smile:

I only got a B overall (A in practical, B in theory) - But something important is that the theory does matter. The highest mark anyone got in theory in my class was a B (me) and therefore, everyone's grade got bought down - even if they had an A* in their practical.
It's good to reach! Never give up and never accept something until it's happened! Have you asked your teacher about things to help you improve?
It is a good idea to play a variety of characters - and also to be put outside your comfort zone, but not enough to make you completely freak out.
Sometimes exaggeration really goes a long way, and if anyone ever says something negative about your acting, use that to propel yourself forward so you can improve even more.
I guess I don't really know about specific things because it's different for each person....
Are you quiet/not-so-confident in general? or only in class/Drama?
Reply 5
Original post by AmeliaLost
Try not to be scared about coming out of your shell. Your role on the stage is to entertain, engage and sometimes inform. You have to sort of forget that you are 123_123 and BE the character. Try and remember that you only look sillier for holding back, and no one will judge you for really embodying your character!

Thank you so much for your reply :smile: I will definitely take this on board :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
I only got a B overall (A in practical, B in theory) - But something important is that the theory does matter. The highest mark anyone got in theory in my class was a B (me) and therefore, everyone's grade got bought down - even if they had an A* in their practical.
It's good to reach! Never give up and never accept something until it's happened! Have you asked your teacher about things to help you improve?
It is a good idea to play a variety of characters - and also to be put outside your comfort zone, but not enough to make you completely freak out.
Sometimes exaggeration really goes a long way, and if anyone ever says something negative about your acting, use that to propel yourself forward so you can improve even more.
I guess I don't really know about specific things because it's different for each person....
Are you quiet/not-so-confident in general? or only in class/Drama?

Thanks again for replying :smile: I wouldn't say I'm shy, I just think I play more 'safe' characters and don't come out of my comfort zone. Also, is theory work the written work? Thanks :smile:
Theory is the written work.

Why do you think you don't want to play other characters?
Do practice papers, see plays when you can, and practice the theory as well because getting practice in that part is super helpful as well. A lot of people in my group learned that the hard way :laugh: For practical work, get in loads of rehearsals and look into things like local youth theatre and community theatre groups. They're really good at helping you get your confidence up. When I started drama GCSE, I'd never acted in my life. I had no clue what I was doing, and I was incredibly nervous to do anything. By the end of it, I was the class clown and I'd really come out of my shell. Try and work with at least most of the people in your class at some point, because working with them helps you get to know them. Once you've gotten to know them a bit, it's a lot less scary getting up on stage in front of them. If this isn't a thing in your class already, just ask your teacher about it. It's definitely a massive benefit. Good luck!

Quick Reply