The Student Room Group

My mum is really unwell.

She has diagnosed bipolar

She thinks our neighbour has planted cameras in the house and might pay £1000 to have some sort of analyst team to search our house for cameras and spy bugs.. She wants to pay £500 to take a lie detector to prove she didn't steal someones bag before, when all she did was look at it (because she has OCD and it makes her apparently) She hears the neighbour talking about her all the time saying she's a bad mum and how her husband is an alcoholic when he only he barely drinks at all..

I'm going to uni next year and I just can't wait to get away from it all.. I feel helpless.
Reply 1
We are skint as well
aw stay strong through this! x
wish you the best of luck:redface:
Original post by Anonymous

She thinks our neighbour has planted cameras in the house and might pay £1000 to have some sort of analyst team to search our house for cameras and spy bugs.. She wants to pay £500 to take a lie detector to prove she didn't steal someones bag before, when all she did was look at it (because she has OCD and it makes her apparently) She hears the neighbour talking about her all the time saying she's a bad mum and how her husband is an alcoholic when he only he barely drinks at all..

I'm going to uni next year and I just can't wait to get away from it all.. I feel helpless.

Don't u think u should stay to support her and help her..i mean obvs it's ur choice
Is she getting any help for her mental heath? If you dont wnat to get involved then keep your head down and study.
Reply 5
Original post by tamil fever
Don't u think u should stay to support her and help her..i mean obvs it's ur choice

I've tried - nothing I say gets through to her..

Original post by 999tigger
Is she getting any help for her mental heath? If you dont wnat to get involved then keep your head down and study.

Yeah she's been on various meds they just knock her out really..
I think they're going to put her on new ones in a week or two..
I've tried - nothing I say gets through to her..

Yeah she's been on various meds they just knock her out really..
I think they're going to put her on new ones in a week or two..

Does she have a husband and do you have any siblings? She have any siblings? Any responsible adults who can look out for her?
Reply 7
Does she have a husband and do you have any siblings? She have any siblings? Any responsible adults who can look out for her?

Yeah my two younger sisters are here. Age 5 and 12. Her husband is pretty much her full time carer so he can't work.
Reply 8

Mum has one sibling who she still speaks to

My mum is also bipolar. I'm going to uni next year too.
I also feel helpless. There's not much you can do but provide support, just be there, stop her from doing silly things, try and take some weight off her hands.
Here for you :hugs:
Mum has one sibling who she still speaks to

Maybe have a word with her, just so you cna get some guidance or just someone to talk to. the laternative is childline 0800 1111
I really feel for you both in this situation as my mum suffers from bipolar and I suffer from severe OCD so I know how it feels from both perspectives of a sufferer and a carer.

You really do have to think of yourself as well as your mum in a situation like this. Hopefully your mum finds a medication soon hat suits her. For my mum, it was very much trial and error until she found the perfect antidepressant for her. Has she not been offered any kind of therapy along with meds? That can be really beneficial. You also have to take care of yourself during a time like this and you can't be expected to have all the baggage from your mum's illness placed on your shoulders. If you feel comfortable talking to people about your situation, that can really help be it friends or strangers online. Taking up a hobby can also be helpful. I needed an outlet when growing up to deal with my mum problems as well as my own once they developed further.

I know how helpless you and your family must be feeling but all you really can do is support her as best as you can but still take care of your own health and well being too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
I really feel for you both in this situation as my mum suffers from bipolar and I suffer from severe OCD so I know how it feels from both perspectives of a sufferer and a carer.

You really do have to think of yourself as well as your mum in a situation like this. Hopefully your mum finds a medication soon hat suits her. For my mum, it was very much trial and error until she found the perfect antidepressant for her. Has she not been offered any kind of therapy along with meds? That can be really beneficial. You also have to take care of yourself during a time like this and you can't be expected to have all the baggage from your mum's illness placed on your shoulders. If you feel comfortable talking to people about your situation, that can really help be it friends or strangers online. Taking up a hobby can also be helpful. I needed an outlet when growing up to deal with my mum problems as well as my own once they developed further.

I know how helpless you and your family must be feeling but all you really can do is support her as best as you can but still take care of your own health and well being too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think an occupational therapist is coming out to see her at some point.. She doesn't leave the house anymore really. I tell her that leaving the house and doing stuff she enjoys is paramount to getting better. If anyone sits at home and does nothing all day every day they'd get ill. She has to help herself.

Maybe have a word with her, just so you cna get some guidance or just someone to talk to. the laternative is childline 0800 1111

She doesn't listen to me. She cried yesterday and she cried today because she says nobody believes her.. Even I cried over it all 2 days ago and I NEVER cry. I cried because me going to uni doesn't help her at all.
I think an occupational therapist is coming out to see her at some point.. She doesn't leave the house anymore really. I tell her that leaving the house and doing stuff she enjoys is paramount to getting better. If anyone sits at home and does nothing all day every day they'd get ill. She has to help herself.

She doesn't listen to me. She cried yesterday and she cried today because she says nobody believes her.. Even I cried over it all 2 days ago and I NEVER cry. I cried because me going to uni doesn't help her at all.

I meant her sister.
She probably needs different forms of help other than pills.

Bipolar UK have an advice line
0333 323 3880
https://www.bipolaruk.org/Pages/Category/mentoring

They also have forums you can join
https://www.bipolaruk.org/ecommunity

They also have information for family and friends of someone with bipolar
I meant her sister.
She probably needs different forms of help other than pills.

Bipolar UK have an advice line
0333 323 3880
https://www.bipolaruk.org/Pages/Category/mentoring

They also have forums you can join
https://www.bipolaruk.org/ecommunity

They also have information for family and friends of someone with bipolar

Does bipolar make you hear voices that aren't there? Like she's hearing our neighbour saying this stuff.. She doesn't think she's ill so idk how she can speak on the phone

Thank you very much though
I just linked you the information or contact details of someone who cnat talk to you about the situation.
Im still unsure as to what you want? Part of you just seems to wnat to get to Uni and away asap.

She needs a proper diagnosis and treatment.
I know its hard and I suffered from these things. I kind of realised though it was me and why this was happening. Two movies which I really liked and kind of portray a message is shutter island and a beautiful mind. It is a really good watch I am sure you would enjoy it.
I just linked you the information or contact details of someone who cnat talk to you about the situation.
Im still unsure as to what you want? Part of you just seems to wnat to get to Uni and away asap.

She needs a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Thank you
Thank you

Sometimes its difficult to know what to do as a child and I cna see why you would like it to go away.

1. You need to preserve your studies.
2. You should read about and talk to people who understand about your mums situation plus she should get help.
3. You can then decide if you understand or can deal with whats going on, how to protect yourself, but also how to help your mum if you can. Knowledge will make it easier. Sometimes we have to grow up and deal with some of lifes mess before our time. Read the stuff , talk to people and you should see things differently then. Knowledge will give you some control back.

Quick Reply