The Student Room Group

Applying for University at 25 with subpar grades

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone might be able to offer some guidance.

I'm looking to apply for a university Foundation course starting in 2017 that can lead me to studying Biology as a main subject after, I'll be applying as a mature student however am nervous that most universities might not accept me due to my grade scores.

I studied in a high school abroad and universities here do accept the diploma I currently hold.

I'v e posted my grades below, does anyone know a university that might accept me for a Biology related foundation degree with these grades? Since being out of education I've worked mainly customer service roles and would really like to get back into higher education.

Any suggestions?? Many thanks!

transcript-grades.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
I assume you're talking about a foundation year? A foundation degree is something quite different.

Most universities will consider you for a foundation year with those grades. Indeed, some places accept applicants with no qualifications at all. It really is just a question of doing some research and finding a place that suits your academic, personal and financial needs. I know Durham has a pretty good 'Biological Sciences with Foundation' course.
Original post by Snufkin
I assume you're talking about a foundation year? A foundation degree is something quite different.

Most universities will consider you for a foundation year with those grades. Indeed, some places accept applicants with no qualifications at all. It really is just a question of doing some research and finding a place that suits your academic, personal and financial needs. I know Durham has a pretty good 'Biological Sciences with Foundation' course.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant a Foundation Year sorry.

Do you think it is worth sending some e-mails over to the potential universities to see what they say? I expressed an interest with Manchester University and they got back to me asking for academic scores and current situation. Any tips on what I should write? I was thinking simply explaining my situation and that I'm really keen to get back into higher education, in Biology, and provide my transcript?

Thank you very much!
Original post by wanttostudy92
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant a Foundation Year sorry.

Do you think it is worth sending some e-mails over to the potential universities to see what they say? I expressed an interest with Manchester University and they got back to me asking for academic scores and current situation. Any tips on what I should write? I was thinking simply explaining my situation and that I'm really keen to get back into higher education, in Biology, and provide my transcript?

Thank you very much!

You should absolutely email them and ask, that's why universities have admissions officers, to answer questions like this. Your plan sounds good, do that!

Are you from the States?
Original post by Snufkin
You should absolutely email them and ask, that's why universities have admissions officers, to answer questions like this. Your plan sounds good, do that!

Are you from the States?

Brill I will start getting them sent out! I'll keep you posted anyway so it'll be interesting to see what happens :-)

No not the States but one of my parents is British and the other ex-Yugoslavia, so they decided to move over to the latter for me to get to know my other heritage , I studied in an English speaking "American School" which was based on US academic system :-)

Quick Reply