The Student Room Group

Not enjoying uni

I'm 68, and just started 2nd year on a Criminology degree.
I've waited years for my 7 kids to grow up so I could go to uni.
Last year I really enjoyed although I had some illness and stress to deal with, but only a month into the academic year, I just can't feel enthusiastic about it.
Is it me, or do other mature students feel the same?
Reply 1
Well it's not entirely surprising. You're probably more thinking about what little life you have left and how you want to enjoy it, no?

Half the motivation of a degree is using it to get a good job and a good start in life. What's your motivation?
Reply 2
Original post by Chezdon
Well it's not entirely surprising. You're probably more thinking about what little life you have left and how you want to enjoy it, no?

Half the motivation of a degree is using it to get a good job and a good start in life. What's your motivation?

That's pretty harsh
Reply 3
Original post by h3110
That's pretty harsh

I'm 30 and already thinking that way. Life passes us by pretty quickly. Harsh but true.
Original post by Chezdon

How do you not know that her/his dream has always been to go to university? For someone to wait years until their children grew up, so that they are able to go says something about their goals. Maybe their reason for going has nothing to do with 'a good start in life'. Not everyone goes to uni to get a career, especially someone at 68 as usually a person at this age has had a career and retired. So someone at 68 may be going to uni for learning purposes, just to get educated or even to get a masters or PHD degree because it's what they've desired. We all have our own reasons. I find it super inspiring. My grandmother is currently the same age and she never stops learning. She got her PHD at 60 and because of her never stop learning attitude, she became state commissioner of Education enabling hundreds of children who were less fortunate to go to secondary school and college (university). So you never know, you never know :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Chezdon

I don't actually think about what time I have left- I am too busy for that. I have 16 grandchildren.
I was a foundling baby in 1948, left on the steps of the children's home when I was less than a day old. Brought up in care and suffered across the board abuse - currently involved in the Government's investigation into child abuse by the RC Church which also keeps me busy. My education in care was practically non-existent. I couldn't read or write until I was 15 and had teach myself. I've been widowed once and divorced once.
I went to university in 1997 and did an Access course and got a place on a Criminology degree in '98. One of my daughters had a little boy in 1999. I had just completed 1 year of my degree. He was born very ill and had a poorly heart. I had to drop out of uni to take legal responsibility. Social Services didn't want me working or studying as his needs were too high. I didn't send him to school as he couldn't cope with the school day so I home schooled him until he was 16.
He started College last year on an IT course last year, now in his second year, and I took my chance to go back to uni last year and take up where I left off in 1999.
One of my motivations is for him to understand that **** might happen and whatever your start in life and whatever obstacles you may have to overcome, if you want it badly enough, it will happen.
My other motivation is that I was placed in the care of the Catholic Church by the State. both Church and State had a duty of care towards me and both failed in that duty of care. I am now taking back what they owed me.
I think it is great that your doing this. What inspire s you last year what engaged you with the course? Why haven't you got that This year? I would suggest talking to your personal tutor or your course coordinator seriously Andrew honestly about your motivational problem And be honest about how you want to proceed.
Original post by Seamus123
I don't actually think about what time I have left- I am too busy for that. I have 16 grandchildren.
I was a foundling baby in 1948, left on the steps of the children's home when I was less than a day old. Brought up in care and suffered across the board abuse - currently involved in the Government's investigation into child abuse by the RC Church which also keeps me busy. My education in care was practically non-existent. I couldn't read or write until I was 15 and had teach myself. I've been widowed once and divorced once.
I went to university in 1997 and did an Access course and got a place on a Criminology degree in '98. One of my daughters had a little boy in 1999. I had just completed 1 year of my degree. He was born very ill and had a poorly heart. I had to drop out of uni to take legal responsibility. Social Services didn't want me working or studying as his needs were too high. I didn't send him to school as he couldn't cope with the school day so I home schooled him until he was 16.
He started College last year on an IT course last year, now in his second year, and I took my chance to go back to uni last year and take up where I left off in 1999.
One of my motivations is for him to understand that **** might happen and whatever your start in life and whatever obstacles you may have to overcome, if you want it badly enough, it will happen.
My other motivation is that I was placed in the care of the Catholic Church by the State. both Church and State had a duty of care towards me and both failed in that duty of care. I am now taking back what they owed me.

I think you re an inspiration to us all, my friend. I hope you find the determination and the will power to pass your degree, and I am routing for you every step of the way.

Ive just started an access course and not enjoying it eithier but I truly hope you do succeed.
Maybe the first year was a novelty, and now that's worn off it's feeling more like work? Keep your motivations close to you (i have mine on little hand drawn A4 posters on my wall to keep me going when I'm feeling low on energy!) and push forward, you'll probably find once you've got your momentum going again it will be less of a drag!
Reply 9
Maybe you could do an online degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have really been through a lot and in sad to hear that but hopefully you can enjoy your time at uni, I want to help you but theres little I can say tbh as in just applying for uni but I still want to help you. But it also turns out you helped me, I won't be taking my education due granted and messing about like I usually do anyway.

But anyway best of luck with uni and hopefully you can find your motivation and enjoy your time at uni. 😊
I'm nearly retired now, and I do think that one's motivation changes with age. For me, I will not now make a career of any subject I study, and university life is not part of the process of 'growing up' and 'finding my identity' in the way it was when I was 18. For me, the main motivations are the intrinsic interest of the subject and the opportunity it gives me to support my daughter in her - related - career.

Thinking about your motivations, you suggest two main reasons for doing this degree.

1. A wish to demonstrate a 'life lesson' to your grandson.
2. A wish to 'take something back' from institutions you feel did you a wrong.

There's nothing wrong with these motivations, of course! And I doubt I have anything to say that you haven't already done. But since you are currently struggling, here's some thoughts. First, you mention both your motivations in quite general terms - not specifically related to the nitty-gritty of the course you have chosen. Can you re-energise yourself by making a specific, course-related, goal that relates more directly to each of these motives? For instance - could you do project work/essays etc that identifies gaps in legal provision that led to your ill treatment by the Church or State? And how this could be remedied? Or could you choose options around family law and kinship/family care? (sorry this is a bit vague, I know zip about criminology!). I suspect that you have already done this, but perhaps the course requirements are pushing you in other directions? In which case, is it worth re-prioritising - deciding that you are doing this course to learn interesting/useful stuff rather than to get the piece of paper at the end?

Second, if he is interested, could you draw your grandson into getting involved in your degree - I don't mean getting him to do your homework (although....!!!) , but making some aspect of the course part of the discussions you have with him? That might help you feel a direct connection with your first motive?

Finally, have you connected with any other mature students who might be feeling something similar? Peer support can be so helpful...

I'd echo some of what Ox states above about the motivations. One thing to note is both your stated motivations are both extrinsic in that they seem to be aimed making a statement to others (your grandson and the catholic church). These arn't necessary a bad things but there's lots of psych research showing that intrinsic motivations such as seeing self improvement can be a lot more powerful.

I'm also a mature student and like probably everyone struggle with motivation at time one thing that's helped me is reading some Stoic philosophy it has some really good advice.

Quick Reply

Latest