The Student Room Group

Sould I leave university.

So I have been at university for about 5 weeks and i hate it. The course is hard, and i find each module boring and everyday that passes i lose more of an interest in the course and im not finding myself engaged. I try everyday to read through my notes and do the reading but i find it too boring and hard. I don't have friends despite joining societies etc and i don't get along with my flatmates. I feel like I'm wasting my time on this degree as I no longer want to pursue it nor am i interested in the careers this degree offers. Should I leave university and reapply to a degree i would find more engaging?
What are you studying and why did you apply for it in the first place?

Sometimes it's easy to convince ourselves we don't want something when it's getting difficult to stay on top of. It's also easy to lose interest in content when we don't fully understand, despite it being something otherwise enjoyable. Maybe look back at the reasons why you entered the course and what you were originally looking to get out of it, to see if it's really a change in your desires or if maybe it's just a case of the work getting to you.
Original post by Anonymous
So I have been at university for about 5 weeks and i hate it. The course is hard, and i find each module boring and everyday that passes i lose more of an interest in the course and im not finding myself engaged. I try everyday to read through my notes and do the reading but i find it too boring and hard. I don't have friends despite joining societies etc and i don't get along with my flatmates. I feel like I'm wasting my time on this degree as I no longer want to pursue it nor am i interested in the careers this degree offers. Should I leave university and reapply to a degree i would find more engaging?

You sould with that grammar.
Reply 3
Original post by sinfonietta
What are you studying and why did you apply for it in the first place?

Sometimes it's easy to convince ourselves we don't want something when it's getting difficult to stay on top of. It's also easy to lose interest in content when we don't fully understand, despite it being something otherwise enjoyable. Maybe look back at the reasons why you entered the course and what you were originally looking to get out of it, to see if it's really a change in your desires or if maybe it's just a case of the work getting to you.

I chose history cos it was my best AS level when i was applying to unis, idk what i am looking to get out of it
I chose history cos it was my best AS level when i was applying to unis, idk what i am looking to get out of it

Based on your reasoning, it sounds like maybe you didn't put enough thought into it. Maybe leaving and reapplying for a different course next year is your best option then. Have a good think before making any decisions about what you want to gain from doing a degree, and work out what routes might take you there. :smile:
Reply 5

I would definitely look into courses that you would actually enjoy doing. There is no use getting yourself into debt over a subject you don't genuinely love or have an interest in. Whilst you may have received your best grade at AS level in History that doesn't automatically mean you should study it. Look at what different universities have to offer in terms of courses, look at what sort of grades they are asking for and really research the course. Can you see yourself studying that for a few years? If not, then look elsewhere.
Speak to your lecturers about your concern and they may be able to offer you some really valuable advice about transferring or finding motivation to carry on if you do decide this is genuinely what you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending