The Student Room Group

Student Physician Associate Northwest

I just applied and submitted, not sure how my application actually looks.. but i want sure how to go about it. I put down all my details as asked, they didn't really ask for personal statement so it was a little difficult to understand exactly what they were looking for.
Did anyone else have this trouble? How do you think your chances are for getting in?
which University did you chose?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I forgot to put a choice of university i wanted :bricks::bricks::bricks:
Reply 2
I think it's difficult to gauge your chances of getting a place... I put Manc as my preference. My undergrad was in Chemistry; followed by a PGCE and now I'm a pharmaceutical rep so some experience of the NHS and working with HCPs.

Also, it wasn't clear regarding university rankings on your personal statement which I thought was unfair to not even process those applications.
Reply 3
Original post by Saiom
I forgot to put a choice of university i wanted :bricks::bricks::bricks:

You know I thought they would have provided a place to put that like a little question box. The whole process has been quite unorganised tbh
Reply 4
Original post by rls997
I think it's difficult to gauge your chances of getting a place... I put Manc as my preference. My undergrad was in Chemistry; followed by a PGCE and now I'm a pharmaceutical rep so some experience of the NHS and working with HCPs.

Also, it wasn't clear regarding university rankings on your personal statement which I thought was unfair to not even process those applications.

I work in a GP office with an impressive list of volunteers positions but I have a 2:2 in biomedical science I feel that will hinder on my chances 😩
Reply 5
Original post by Sholainabox
I work in a GP office with an impressive list of volunteers positions but I have a 2:2 in biomedical science I feel that will hinder on my chances 😩

Have you applied anyway? If you have lots of relevant experience you could still have a chance of being considered?
Reply 6
Hello all
M from northwest UK and my choices r Preston Liverpool and Manchester. . Distances vice Preston is better located for me
Where r u from n what r ur choices
Reply 7
Original post by rls997
Have you applied anyway? If you have lots of relevant experience you could still have a chance of being considered?

Yea I submitted on today
I just applied and submitted, not sure how my application actually looks.. but i want sure how to go about it. I put down all my details as asked, they didn't really ask for personal statement so it was a little difficult to understand exactly what they were looking for.
Did anyone else have this trouble? How do you think your chances are for getting in?
which University did you chose?

Did you complete the 1500 word personal supporting statement? For mine I just talked about how my Psychology degree was relevant, I talked about what I learned from my volunteering in hospitals and how that matched the values of St Helens & Knowsley's Trust and the NHS and then made I tried to tick most of the boxes for the personal specification using examples from hospital volunteering/placements/charity work or my job in customer service.

I received the following email today..

"
Good morning

Invitations to attend for interview will be sent out on the 9th November to all those applicants who have been successful through long and short listing.

At the close of recruitment we had received 630 applications for the 165 places available across the North West.

Regards"

So on the back of that, I don't feel confident right now :frown: I feel like they're going to focus on already established healthcare professionals maybe

My choices are:
1) Liverpool Uni (I graduated from here so would love to go back)
2) UCLAN
3)Manchester
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rls997

It says they wanted a minimum 2.2 anyway so I wouldn't worry!
Reply 10
Original post by jones10
Did you complete the 1500 word personal supporting statement? For mine I just talked about how my Psychology degree was relevant, I talked about what I learned from my volunteering in hospitals and how that matched the values of St Helens & Knowsley's Trust and the NHS and then made I tried to tick most of the boxes for the personal specification using examples from hospital volunteering/placements/charity work or my job in customer service.

"
Good morning

Invitations to attend for interview will be sent out on the 9th November to all those applicants who have been successful through long and short listing.

At the close of recruitment we had received 630 applications for the 165 places available across the North West.

Regards"

So on the back of that, I don't feel confident right now :frown: I feel like they're going to focus on already established healthcare professionals maybe

My choices are:
2) UCLAN
3)Manchester

Yeah that's a pretty big number so what almost 1/4 but that's to actual vacancies so I imagine at least 1/3 will be invited to interview. - also, I was told so many people submitted applications without a ranking preference and so they won't even be long listed.

Do you think we will find out about being long listed before invitations to interview or?
Original post by rls997
Yeah that's a pretty big number so what almost 1/4 but that's to actual vacancies so I imagine at least 1/3 will be invited to interview. - also, I was told so many people submitted applications without a ranking preference and so they won't even be long listed.

Do you think we will find out about being long listed before invitations to interview or?

Yeah it said on the site didn't it anyone who didn't preference would not be considered. I guess they have to be a bit cut throat with the number of applications they received. I don't think so, I think from the email it's literally going to be on the 9th November :frown: seems like a long wait!!! :frown:

and then interviews are a week later, yikes!
Reply 12
Hi Guys

I applied via the trac.jobs site and there was an option to select your preferences in the application, however I dont think there was that facility on the application on the nhs jobs site, anyway nov9th will be a day to remember.

James
Original post by jfran
Hi Guys

I applied via the trac.jobs site and there was an option to select your preferences in the application, however I dont think there was that facility on the application on the nhs jobs site, anyway nov9th will be a day to remember.

James

They said chose your top 2 because I only picked two! liverpool and clan whitehaven
Reply 14
Original post by jones10

"
Good morning

Regards"

My choices are:
2) UCLAN
3)Manchester

Oh no this has really worried me. I don't think I've been sent this e-mail. Can I ask who sent you this? Was it one of the unis?
I was sent this email as I asked a question as to how many applicants had applied don't worry haha x
Reply 16
Original post by jones10
I was sent this email as I asked a question as to how many applicants had applied don't worry haha x

Ah thanks so much for explaining that :smile:
Thanks also for sharing when we might hear about interviews! So nice to have even a vague date to put to it x
Original post by jones10

"
Good morning

Regards"

My choices are:
2) UCLAN
3)Manchester

I only did 750 words and mentioned my university degree in the first paragraph, like which modules I did well in which were relevant to the course and then second paragraphs I mentioned my volunteering and my current position at a GP practice and why I feel the role of a PA would really help the struggles of the NHS. I mentioned why liverpool and UCLAN was the one for me and then personal achievement and the level of self disclipne i have blah blah! but i didn't mention the trust itself.. i just thought oh my god i'm panicking

I am nervous I really want this lol
(edited 7 years ago)
I only did 750 words and mentioned my university degree in the first paragraph, like which modules I did well in which were relevant to the course and then second paragraphs I mentioned my volunteering and my current position at a GP practice and why I feel the role of a PA would really help the struggles of the NHS. I mentioned why liverpool and UCLAN was the one for me and then personal achievement and the level of self disclipne i have blah blah! but i didn't mention the trust itself.. i just thought oh my god i'm panicking

I am nervous I really want this lol

I'll be devastated if I don't get it, it's so nerve wracking waiting. How do you think they'll go about short listing for interview? πŸ€”
Original post by jones10
I'll be devastated if I don't get it, it's so nerve wracking waiting. How do you think they'll go about short listing for interview? πŸ€”

looking at the person specification probably, the picking will be done at the mini exam

Quick Reply

Latest