The Student Room Group

Is this a healthy diet?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tingo
What absolute ********.

Tell me- why do you need meat in your diet? Why are vegetarians more likely to live longer if you need meat in your diet? please tell me.

Where is your evidence to support that vegetarians live longer? We're top of the food chain for a reason.
Reply 22
Original post by xmertic
Where is your evidence to support that vegetarians live longer? We're top of the food chain for a reason.

I just posted you the links bur tsr says they need to be approved by a moderator first.

Look it up for yourself if you can't wait.
Original post by tingo
I just posted you the links bur tsr says they need to be approved by a moderator first.

Look it up for yourself if you can't wait.

I've not done the research myself, and I'm not going to sit here and dispute it right off the bat. But I'll tell you now, I enjoy meat and animal products far too much to even contemplate cutting meat out of my diet. Thus I don't care for the facts, I'd rather die maybe a year or two younger I imagine and enjoy a meat feast of a life. Veggies and Vegans are missing out so much.

Aside from medical conditions, I can't fathom why anyone would want to cut meat out of their diet.
Reply 24
Original post by xmertic
I've not done the research myself, and I'm not going to sit here and dispute it right off the bat. But I'll tell you now, I enjoy meat and animal products far too much to even contemplate cutting meat out of my diet. Thus I don't care for the facts, I'd rather die maybe a year or two younger I imagine and enjoy a meat feast of a life. Veggies and Vegans are missing out so much.

Aside from medical conditions, I can't fathom why anyone would want to cut meat out of their diet.

Then don't make BS statements about how you need meat when you don't even care about the facts.

You cant fathom why someone would cut meat out other than medical conditions? ok well let me give you two other reasons:

1) Ethical reasons (They don't like the way an animal is treated/killed for meat.
2) They don't like the taste of meat.

I am sure there are many more reason but I cant be bothered to list them all/
Original post by tingo
Then don't make BS statements about how you need meat when you don't even care about the facts.

You cant fathom why someone would cut meat out other than medical conditions? ok well let me give you two other reasons:

1) Ethical reasons (They don't like the way an animal is treated/killed for meat.
2) They don't like the taste of meat.

I am sure there are many more reason but I cant be bothered to list them all/

Nobody dislikes the taste of meat, it isn't possible, ethical reasons are irrelevant, they can buy organic.

Okay, I've done some research, here are some reasons why meat is good for a healthy diet.

1. We were designed as meat eaters, our digestive systems and teeth set are designed to deal with meats.

2. Helps Stable Blood Sugar

3. Muscle Growth

4. Long Lasting energy

5. Neurotransmitter health, people who avoid meat or lack it in their diet. Statistically, non-meat eaters are two to three times more likely to suffer from depression, anxiety, eating disorders, somatoform disorders and syndromes (which probably explains pubescent Tumblr users).

6. Essential nutrients (which can only be found in animal sources).

7. It tastes darn good, we are evidently made to be meat eaters, so embrace it, have a steak and stop depriving oneself of the health benefits.
Reply 26
Original post by xmertic
Nobody dislikes the taste of meat, it isn't possible, ethical reasons are irrelevant, they can buy organic.

Are you seriously going to sit there and tell me that every single person loves the taste of meat? So you just know everyone on the planet and you somehow know they love the taste of meat?

Well I know people who don't like the taste of meat so I guess you don't know them

Okay, I've done some research, here are some reasons why meat is good for a healthy diet.

1. We were designed as meat eaters, our digestive systems and teeth set are designed to deal with meats.

2. Helps Stable Blood Sugar

3. Muscle Growth

4. Long Lasting energy

5. Neurotransmitter health, people who avoid meat or lack it in their diet. Statistically, non-meat eaters are two to three times more likely to suffer from depression, anxiety, eating disorders, somatoform disorders and syndromes (which probably explains pubescent Tumblr users).

6. Essential nutrients (which can only be found in animal sources).

7. It tastes darn good, we are evidently made to be meat eaters, so embrace it, have a steak and stop depriving oneself of the health benefits.

Actually we only started eating meat very recently in terms of history. Dr. T. Colin Campbell, professor emeritus at Cornell University and author of The china study, explains that in fact, we only recently (historically speaking) began eating meat, and that the inclusion of meat in our diet came well after we became who we are today. He explains that “the birth of agriculture only started about 10,000 years ago at a time when it became considerably more convenient to herd animals. This is not nearly as long as the time [that] fashioned our basic biochemical functionality (at least tens of millions of years) and which functionality depends on the nutrient composition of plant-based foods.”

So this myth that we were designed to eat meat is complete BS.

Here are some reason why not eating meat is healthy

Lower risk of cancer. ...

Lower risk of heart disease. ...

Lower risk of osteoporosis. ...

Lower risk of kidney and gallstones. ...

Factory farmed animals carry disease. ...

Factory-farmed animals contain toxic chemicals. ...

Inefficient use of agriculture.

I could go on but there is no point. Vegetarians could live 100 years longer than those that eat meat and you would still claim that being vegetarian is unhealthy. Keep burying your head in that sand.
Original post by tingo
Are you seriously going to sit there and tell me that every single person loves the taste of meat? So you just know everyone on the planet and you somehow know they love the taste of meat?

Well I know people who don't like the taste of meat so I guess you don't know them

Actually we only started eating meat very recently in terms of history. Dr. T. Colin Campbell, professor emeritus at Cornell University and author of The china study, explains that in fact, we only recently (historically speaking) began eating meat, and that the inclusion of meat in our diet came well after we became who we are today. He explains that “the birth of agriculture only started about 10,000 years ago at a time when it became considerably more convenient to herd animals. This is not nearly as long as the time [that] fashioned our basic biochemical functionality (at least tens of millions of years) and which functionality depends on the nutrient composition of plant-based foods.”

So this myth that we were designed to eat meat is complete BS.

Here are some reason why not eating meat is healthy

Lower risk of cancer. ...

Lower risk of heart disease. ...

Lower risk of osteoporosis. ...

Lower risk of kidney and gallstones. ...

Factory farmed animals carry disease. ...

Factory-farmed animals contain toxic chemicals. ...

Inefficient use of agriculture.

I could go on but there is no point. Vegetarians could live 100 years longer than those that eat meat and you would still claim that being vegetarian is unhealthy. Keep burying your head in that sand.

Please just be quiet, you are probably one of the many teenagers currently going through the 'rebellious' vegan phase. You will soon be feeding meat to your own children
Original post by saraxh
Because of health reasons I try to cut out sugar from my diet. I don't want to lose weight. I just want to eat more healthy. :redface:

Health reasons? Are you diabetic? If so fair enough I guess. Keep in mind having too little sugar is bad for your health if you're not.

Anyway, I'd suggest replacing the powder with nuts and peanuts. Also get rid of that perfect bar. You need some more fibre, try brown bread.
Reply 29
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Please just be quiet, you are probably one of the many teenagers currently going through the 'rebellious' vegan phase. You will soon be feeding meat to your own children

You will always be an ignorant child. Looking you nose down at people because they live a different lifestyle from you.

You are the self-righteous moron that you claim these vegans are.
Original post by tingo
You will always be an ignorant child. Looking you nose down at people because they live a different lifestyle from you.

You are the self-righteous moron that you claim these vegans are.

I Wouldn't say I was looking down on someone for their diet, I would just say that people are taking this veganism far too seriously for my liking, We have much more serious humanitarian problems which we could use this will power for instead... Are you a feminist as well?
Reply 31
Why would you restrict yourself to this vegan horsesh*t.

a vegan diet is pretty good for weight loss, i've tried it myself a few times.
I Wouldn't say I was looking down on someone for their diet, I would just say that people are taking this veganism far too seriously for my liking, We have much more serious humanitarian problems which we could use this will power for instead... Are you a feminist as well?

What people eat is none of your business.

"We have much more serious humanitarian problems which we could use this will power for instead"

get off your high horse mate.
I'd say there isn't a lot of actual meals

What I mean by that is that it looks a lot like a list of things you could put together for a snack. I know it's just a basic grocery list and you would probably add to it but you would definitely need more filling foods and less of the fancy schmancy snacks.

Another thing I'd point out is that it looks pretty pricey in the long run and also restrictive. If it's something you want to stick to I'd suggest to make it more exciting somehow. I'll link a YouTube channel below of a lovely lady who does fantastic 'What I Eat in a Day' videos and she has 11 of them so plenty to look at. They are vegan, but simply add meat/eggs/fish when you find suitable. Her diet is healthy, colourful and full of protein!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrVQ_F6JQCN5adUgOD5XIooQz84sNHUvY
Original post by Allie4
a vegan diet is pretty good for weight loss, i've tried it myself a few times.

Woah, now this I cannot friggin stand. Either you're vegan or not. Using what is meant to be a cruelty free lifestyle to lose weight on the odd occasion is pretty stupid. Reminds me of people that use the gluten free diet even though they have no intolerance.
Reply 35
Original post by ShannyMorrison
Woah, now this I cannot friggin stand. Either you're vegan or not. Using what is meant to be a cruelty free lifestyle to lose weight on the odd occasion is pretty stupid. Reminds me of people that use the gluten free diet even though they have no intolerance.

man you must be fun at parties...(!)
Reply 36

I say you were looking down on someone for their (What you thought was a vegan) diet. Also I think veganism is great and it is helping the earth out a lot.

No I'm not a feminist.
Reply 37
Original post by ShannyMorrison

Found the militant meat eater.
Original post by tingo
Found the militant meat eater.

Actually I don't eat meat. I just don't understand people that are vegan for a week and then pescatarian on Tuesdays and before you know it they're whining because they can't fit in a dress. "Oh no, must be the steaks, better be a trend setter again"
Vegan bashing is one of my favourite hobbies :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest