The Student Room Group

M2 Mechanics question(Urgent)

A particle P is projected with the velocity (7i + 7(3^0.5)j)
At time t = 0
the particle is at (xi + yj) at a particle time in its flight
a) show that y = 3^0.5 x - g/98 x^2
b) find y when x = 20

Let me know the working and what you get for b part, theres a c part as well that i cant remember so if anyone finds the question online let me know
Original post by NatoHeadshot
A particle P is projected with the velocity (7i + 7(3^0.5)j)
At time t = 0
the particle is at (xi + yj) at a particle time in its flight
a) show that y = 3^0.5 x - g/98 x^2
b) find y when x = 20

Let me know the working and what you get for b part, theres a c part as well that i cant remember so if anyone finds the question online let me know

Working is easy.

Find the vertical displacement in terms of tt as you normally would, then using horizontal displacement, you can express t in terms of x. Then just substitute that expression into y to get it in terms of x.

Second part is simple as well. Substitute x=20 into the equation you just found.
Original post by RDKGames
Working is easy.

Find the vertical displacement in terms of tt as you normally would, then using horizontal displacement, you can express t in terms of x. Then just substitute that expression into y to get it in terms of x.

Second part is simple as well. Substitute x=20 into the equation you just found.

yea but i think im still going wrong, can you just maybe work through it quickly or at least give me your finals ans?
apparently that method doesn't work /: question is like 13 marks
(edited 7 years ago)
we are not allowed to give complete answers... just helpful hints ?

consider the horizontal velocity ...it is constant at 7 m/s

consider the vertical velocity... it changes according to v = u + at... u is the initial vertical velocity & a is 9.8 m/s2 downwards.
yea but i think im still going wrong, can you just maybe work through it quickly or at least give me your finals ans?
apparently that method doesn't work /: question is like 13 marks

y=ut+12at2=7x312gt2y=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2=7x\sqrt{3}-\frac{1}{2}gt^2

x=ut=7tt=x7x=ut=7t \Rightarrow t=\frac{x}{7}

y=7(x7)312g(x7)2=x3gx298\Rightarrow y=7(\frac{x}{7})\sqrt{3}-\frac{1}{2}g(\frac{x}{7})^2=x \sqrt{3}-\frac{gx^2}{98}
y=ut+12at2=7x312gt2y=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2=7x\sqrt{3}-\frac{1}{2}gt^2

x=ut=7tt=x7x=ut=7t \Rightarrow t=\frac{x}{7}

y=7(x7)312g(x7)2=x3gx298\Rightarrow y=7(\frac{x}{7})\sqrt{3}-\frac{1}{2}g(\frac{x}{7})^2=x \sqrt{3}-\frac{gx^2}{98}

yea, thanks but the b part is the heavy marked question and my friend said he got it wrong by just substituting into the equation
yea, thanks but the b part is the heavy marked question and my friend said he got it wrong by just substituting into the equation

If substituting it is a mistake, then either the question or the mark scheme is wrong. The displacement I get is negative but that doesn't really suggest what information is wrong given the little amount of context.
If substituting it is a mistake, then either the question or the mark scheme is wrong. The displacement I get is negative but that doesn't really suggest what information is wrong given the little amount of context.

the question might have been find the direction of motion when x=20
the question might have been find the direction of motion when x=20

Then work out the time when x=20 and plug it into the velocity equations. Construct a triangle, find the angle and there you have the direction of motion. The angle should be below the horizontal obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest