The Student Room Group

Not doing mfl gcse

This has been stressing me out a lot, during options evening in yr 8 I chose french, it said if i was doing french i had to choose it, but as yr 9 started and my options were selected I noticed french wasn't on my timetable and I didn't think much of it, I went through the whole year without caring, but now yr10 has started and I've been stressing out and wondering if I'm at a disadvantage because of my lack of a MFL at gcse. Am I still able to apply to universities such as UCL or Oxford? I want to go into aviation so will that also have an impact?

Also my mum has NO IDEA whatsoever that I'm not doing French, and everytime she talks about it I get chills. :frown:
Reply 1
These are the GCSES I'm studying:

Maths
English
Combined Science
Religious studies
Graphic products
Drama
Short course R.E
Geography
I.T

(school doesn't offer things like computer science,economics etc..)
Mfl isn't that important for aviation I wouldn't think but not taking it means that you don't qualify for the English baccalaureate, which is a big deal in my school but maybe not in yours? You should be fine
Original post by theaverage1
This has been stressing me out a lot, during options evening in yr 8 I chose french, it said if i was doing french i had to choose it, but as yr 9 started and my options were selected I noticed french wasn't on my timetable and I didn't think much of it, I went through the whole year without caring, but now yr10 has started and I've been stressing out and wondering if I'm at a disadvantage because of my lack of a MFL at gcse. Am I still able to apply to universities such as UCL or Oxford? I want to go into aviation so will that also have an impact?

Also my mum has NO IDEA whatsoever that I'm not doing French, and everytime she talks about it I get chills. :frown:

What was on your timetable in place of French? :s-smilie:

It doesn't really matter. You'll still be able to apply to UCL, Oxford, etc. The only problem would be that if you wanted to do a language at A-level, you probably won't be able to.

The EBac isn't that important either. It's just something for the school league tables really.
I opted out of doing a MFL GCSE as I was simply terrible and languages and wanted to focus time onto english language + literature, you will not be disadvantaged at all however if you apply for UCL you will have to do a 1 year language course, but apart fromt that you are fine :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by trabajadora
What was on your timetable in place of French? :s-smilie:

It doesn't really matter. You'll still be able to apply to UCL, Oxford, etc. The only problem would be that if you wanted to do a language at A-level, you probably won't be able to.

The EBac isn't that important either. It's just something for the school league tables really.

Religious studies, even though I didn't choose it I enjoy it.

Thanks for the reassurance :biggrin: I really needed it. Hope I'll be ok.
Reply 6
Original post by TRAnders
I opted out of doing a MFL GCSE as I was simply terrible and languages and wanted to focus time onto english language + literature, you will not be disadvantaged at all however if you apply for UCL you will have to do a 1 year language course, but apart fromt that you are fine :smile:

Really hope so!, thanks for the info.
Reply 7
Original post by hxfsxh
Mfl isn't that important for aviation I wouldn't think but not taking it means that you don't qualify for the English baccalaureate, which is a big deal in my school but maybe not in yours? You should be fine

There are quite a big deal of people not doing it, so maybe.
Reply 8
I have something else on my mind, when all the people who do mfl have to do their test in the hall, what do the people who don't do? Because I think majority do MFL.
I didn't do and i am hoping to apply to UCL in the future, i don't think its a big deal as long as you have maths,english at a grade B and great Alevels

It doesn't matter at all. It won't put you at a disadvantage.
I have something else on my mind, when all the people who do mfl have to do their test in the hall, what do the people who don't do? Because I think majority do MFL.

Does your school offer more than 1 language? The exams won't be on the same day if they do. If, for example, your school does Spanish and it's the day of the Spanish exam, everyone that does French will just go to their usual lessons :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by retro_turtles
I didn't do and i am hoping to apply to UCL in the future, i don't think its a big deal as long as you have maths,english at a grade B and great Alevels

UCL make you do a MFL short course or similar fi you don't have a MFL gcse at a C or above though.

Quick Reply