The Student Room Group

A level English literature people help

English literature quotes need explaining. For measure for measure and age of innocence. I want to understand it in detail so I can memorize it
Maybe u could post a few lines on here that u need some help on and people could analyse it? Kus im not familair with the literature u mentioned but i could easily analyse some lines for ya :smile:
How do you want ppl to help you if you don't post the quotes? :rofl:
Reply 3
Virtue is bold, and goodness never fearful.
(Duke, Act 3 Scene 1)

Is this right or needs more explanation ?

The idea is that if one is virtuous and good, then one has nothing to be ashamed of, and by extension, one is ready for anything.
Well u could say tha altho they sound the same virtue and goodness are opposing ideas as virtue is the behaviour and act of being good whereas goodness is the quality within someone of being good. So maybe if u have virtue u believe u are good even if u are not but u still worry for the consequences whereas goodness means u are wholly good thus u dnt fear any consequences that may arrive due to ur actions as they are good?? Idk just a few suggestions I guess. Ive never read this before so this is a bit of a stab in the dark. Hope it is of some use at least :smile:
Original post by England113
Virtue is bold, and goodness never fearful.
(Duke, Act 3 Scene 1)

Is this right or needs more explanation ?

The idea is that if one is virtuous and good, then one has nothing to be ashamed of, and by extension, one is ready for anything.

I don't know the text so this might not make sense in context but another interpretation of "virtue" is as a metaphor for virginity, so it could be interpreted as "if you're a virgin, you can get far in life" which would fit with the context especially if this is Victorian literature, but again I don't know the play
Original post by Connor27
I don't know the text so this might not make sense in context but another interpretation of "virtue" is as a metaphor for virginity, so it could be interpreted as "if you're a virgin, you can get far in life" which would fit with the context especially if this is Victorian literature, but again I don't know the play

Ah I just looked it up and measure for measure is Shakespeare, but it's set around the aristocracy so the point would still stand as aristocratic women were considered "spoiled goods" if they weren't virginal even as early as the C17th

Quick Reply