The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Are the entry requirements very strict?

Currently, I'm studying a level 3 BTEC extended diploma in Business and I'm aiming for at least a D*DD; this course is "equivalent" to 3 A-levels so a DDD has the same UCAS points as AAA for A-LEVELS. I really want to apply for International business and Finance but they want an A for GCSE Maths and a B for GCSE English. However, I only got a B for Maths and a C for English even though my first language is Arabic (A*). Do you guys think i have a chance if my personal statement is good?
Original post by hey..
Currently, I'm studying a level 3 BTEC extended diploma in Business and I'm aiming for at least a D*DD; this course is "equivalent" to 3 A-levels so a DDD has the same UCAS points as AAA for A-LEVELS. I really want to apply for International business and Finance but they want an A for GCSE Maths and a B for GCSE English. However, I only got a B for Maths and a C for English even though my first language is Arabic (A*). Do you guys think i have a chance if my personal statement is good?

No, universities are very strict on gcse requirements so contact them before you apply otherwise it could be a wasted choice.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
how strict are universities with their entry requirement? i was predicted ABC and i want to apply with AAB. dont want them to lower their reqs just give me a conditional offer of AAB, you think thats possible
Original post by claireestelle
No, universities are very strict on gcse requirements so contact them before you apply otherwise it could be a wasted choice.
Original post by zainyyyyy
how strict are universities with their entry requirement? i was predicted ABC and i want to apply with AAB. dont want them to lower their reqs just give me a conditional offer of AAB, you think thats possible

If the rest of your choices are sensible then no harm in trying, otherwise don't do it.
got 2 AAB, 2 BBB and 1 BCC
Original post by claireestelle
If the rest of your choices are sensible then no harm in trying, otherwise don't do it.
got 2 AAB, 2 BBB and 1 BCC

Seems sensible enough
Original post by hey..
I really want to apply for International business and Finance but they want an A for GCSE Maths and a B for GCSE English. However, I only got a B for Maths and a C for English even though my first language is Arabic (A*). Do you guys think i have a chance if my personal statement is good?

Talk to your school/college about retaking the required GCSEs alongside your BTEC (and add these retakes to your UCAS application as 'grades pending' in the same way as your BTEC. Any offer would include these GCSEs alongside a BTEC condition.

It depends on whether or not Leeds makes 'aspirational offers' for that subject (ie. standard offers to those with predictions one grade below) - and btw, they wont tell you if they do even if you ask. As above, its worth one risky choice like this - but make sure your other choices are more realistic (at your predicted grades or just below).
Original post by hey..

In my experience, the business school is pretty strict on grades. My friend was one grade off the entry requirements for IB straight, and they wouldn't let her in. For finance you'll really need that A in GCSE maths. IB and finance is a pretty competitive course, though I guess you can hedge your bets

Quick Reply

Latest