The Student Room Group

ASIANS : Is it rude to ask brown asian people where their families come from?

Is it rude to ask brown asian people where their family came from and if they're still connected to that culture? as a white girl

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No it isnt, its just that ******* liberals make almost everything "offensive" so they can censor and police your speech.
It really depends on the intention behind asking and the words you use to ask it. I don't mind people asking where I'm "from" if they're just curious and word it OK, but when the convo goes like this:

Person: So where are you from?
Me: London
Person: No, but where are you FROM?
Me: :erm:

that is less cool :sadnod:

Better to ask than to assume things about people, though. People mistake me for Muslim or Hindu all the time :facepalm: And then there was the classic moment where a PhD student leading a seminar asked me "so should I presume you're Indian then?" :angry:
I don't personally find it offensive (I'm black with Caribbean roots) but apparently it is.
Reply 4
No, ofc it's not offensive. Some of us actually take it as a compliment when another person is interested enough to ask us about our culture and family backgrounds.

Unless someone is only asking me where I'm from so they can take it as a cue to throw racial stereotypes and offensive words around - in which case, yes I would find that offensive.
Original post by Mekkiii
No it isnt, its just that ******* liberals make almost everything "offensive" so they can censor and police your speech.

Wow, that escalated quickly.
Nah, it's fine. "So where are you from?" is a perfectly valid, friendly question to ask.
No, but it's when you "assume" it makes it rude.
Reply 8
It depends on how you ask. For example

Acceptable: Where are you from?
Not acceptable: No, but where are you really from? / No, but where are your parents from?

Acceptable: What is your ethnicity?
Not acceptable: What are you?
Reply 9
I get that alot, also I wear a headscarf so I suppose it makes me look more...different? I live in a very white area so I guess they're just not used to it.
In regards to your question, it really depends. If you were to simply ask what my ethnicity was, I wouldn't be offended (also,try not to make it the first thing you ask) but some people can get annoying.
I remember having a conversation with a lady once and mid way she asks me 'so were you educated in this country?' (I don't even have a foreign accent and except for my scarf I dress very western) When I told her I was she asked when me and my family emigrated to this country. I ended up explaining that I was born in England and have lived here my whole life.
Some people assume that just because you're not white you can't be british and it makes you feel like a bit of an outsider. Like when I said how cold it was and a co worker said 'yeh i bet it's not like that where you're from, you'll get used to it!' .....i've never even been abroad before.
I'd find it rude if someone asked 'where are you from' (in terms of country not city) because it implies that they automatically think it can't be from England because i'm brown.
A better way would be to ask, like i've said, what their ethnicity is. It's also more accurate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes as I am brown but not asian
Original post by Anonymous
Is it rude to ask brown asian people where their family came from and if they're still connected to that culture? as a white girl

People take offense at everything. I find nothing wrong with asking people where they're from. I also find nothing wrong in assuming that if you're brown and you live in the UK or the USA, you are not from there. Of course, this is contrary to popular opinion these days and you get crucified for assuming. I mean, look I'm not saying that because you're brown, you can't be American or British. Just look at it statistically; if you look brown, or Asian, and live in a foreign land, you're more likely to be from a brown country or an Asian country than the USA or the UK. People who get all offended, I don't get it. Are you ashamed to be considered from another country?

And also, I'm always polite enough in asking. I ask with no ill intention or malice; I ask "where are you from" and "are your parents originally from here" just to make small talk mostly.

That said, I've changed the format of my questions nowadays to "Are you from here or somewhere else?". Much simpler and leaves no room for offence.
Also, I myself am brown, and I'd never be offended if someone asked me where I was from, or if they assumed my nationality wrongly. For example, people have thought that I was Bangladeshi or Pakistani when I'm actually Indian; I only laugh politely and correct them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, people never assume that I'm brown or Asian. So, I never had this problem.
I am a white asian
No not really, it's only offensive when people assume you're from a country and talk about it to you expecting you to know what you're talking about.
Just ask "What's your country of origin?"

Nope. As an asian i have never minded when my white friends ask about my heritage and background etc as long as theyr not racist about it. :smile:
Original post by UWS
It depends on how you ask. For example

Acceptable: Where are you from?
Not acceptable: No, but where are you really from? / No, but where are your parents from?

Im brown and personally don't find either offensive and detest those that do.

Yes it is. I'm from England, yes really England. It's so god damn rude. You make us feel like we're f**king aliens. W***KERS
I find it so offensive when people ask me where I'm from. Just because i have brown skin and smell like curry, doesn't make me any less of a human than you. You should feel ashamed

Quick Reply