The Student Room Group

GCSE predicament!

I have a predicament involving my GCSE grades, and i can't seem to find the answers i am looking for on Google, so i hope somebody here can help! I wish to study Biochemistry at University and the courses i want to apply for require me to have GCSE math C (or B, depending on the university) and GCSE English C. Unfortunately, i only received a C in GCSE Math and a D in GCSE English. My poor grades were due to having no aspirations and general immaturity at the time, not actual ability. Now that i have a clearer idea of what i want to do in my life, i have decided to retake my Maths GCSE to better my chance of getting into the course i want to study. However, my GCSE Math resit is in the summer rather than the November resit. This means i will be re-sitting my exam after i have sent my UCAS application. The issue which comes to mind is: - Can you include in your UCAS statement the fact you are re-sitting a GCSE? (and therefore are expecting a better grade). - Can you input a predicted grade for the GCSE like you can for AS or A level qualifications? - If yes, would a University give you an offer which included both A level target grades and GCSE target grades to match to get into the course? - If no, am i essentially wasting my time applying to University this year, considering they will all potentially reject me based on a GCSE qualification requirement i have not yet achieved at the time of applying? To complicate the issue further, i have only just realised the seriousness of having a GCSE English grade D and the implications of it when applying to any decent University. In other words, realising that i should ideally be re-sitting my GCSE English as well, to match or exceed the requirement of a English grade C. - Is it possible for me to sort out a resit for the English exam in summer with my college at this short notice? (Considering we are already two months into the year?) - Or how about as a private candidate? Basically, is there any way i can sort out this mess? My predicated A Level grades are AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Geology. I would hate to think i am not going to be able to go to University next year due to some GCSE requirements i have not met (or the fact i will only match or exceed those requirements after my UCAS application has been sent). Consequently, i am now panicking and beating myself up for not thinking about this issue sooner and sorting it out before i sent my application. For anyone interested, this is the list of Universities i wish to apply for: - Bath - Biochemistry, Bsc. - York - Biochemistry, Mbiochem. - Exeter - Biochemistry, Bsc. - Nottingham - Biochemistry & Molecular Medicine, Msci. - Birmingham - Biochemistry, Msci. The only University listed that i have a chance at with current qualifications is Nottingham's course, which only seems to list requirement for GCSE Math C (already have) and no mention of a GCSE English requirement on their site (i think?). Every other university requires GCSE English C. So, what do i do?
(edited 7 years ago)
I believe it is possible to indicate you're resitting a GCSE exam, and include a predicted grade. It shouldn't be too much of a problem in getting university offers.
The only problem getting a GCSE resit result in August can cause is if you miss your grades (either A level or GCSE). You won't get your full results until a week after clearing starts which will limit your choices.

Manage that risk by working your arse off to get the grades but have a plan in place for a gap year/resit year if things don't go to plan.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I believe it is possible to indicate you're resitting a GCSE exam, and include a predicted grade. It shouldn't be too much of a problem in getting university offers.
That's reassuring to hear! I better work hard to make sure i get a good predicted grade in Maths class then! (i'm taking the classes in college too, not just re-sitting the paper)
Original post by PQ
The only problem getting a GCSE resit result in August can cause is if you miss your grades (either A level or GCSE). You won't get your full results until a week after clearing starts which will limit your choices.
Manage that risk by working your arse off to get the grades but have a plan in place for a gap year/resit year if things don't go to plan.

That's fine. Just as long as i know i'm not wasting my time filling out an application to Russell Group universities who will flat out reject me, i'll work hard to get the qualifications they want from me!So to clarify, it is likely (or at least possible) that because they can see i am working to resit a GCSE grade to meet their expectations, they may give me an offer which also includes GCSE targets?
What should i do about my English GCSE? Would my college likely allow me to do a resit on quick notice? (i hear there is coursework and changes in the specification, which makes things... complicated?)Or could i sit some kind of alternative qualification to prove my English ability? Like some kind of aptitude test?I might contact University admissions to see what they suggest i could do to help meet their requirements, considering they are probably used to these questions. But i hope they won't see this as a weakness!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheTungsten74
That's reassuring to hear! I better work hard to make sure i get a good predicted grade in Maths class then! (i'm taking the classes in college too, not just re-sitting the paper)

That's fine. Just as long as i know i'm not wasting my time filling out an application to Russell Group universities who will flat out reject me, i'll work hard to get the qualifications they want from me!So to clarify, it is likely (or at least possible) that because they can see i am working to resit a GCSE grade to meet their expectations, they may give me an offer which also includes GCSE targets?
What should i do about my English GCSE? Would my college likely allow me to do a resit on quick notice? (i hear there is coursework and changes in the specification, which makes things... complicated?)Or could i sit some kind of alternative qualification to prove my English ability? Like some kind of aptitude test?I might contact University admissions to see what they suggest i could do to help meet their requirements, considering they are probably used to these questions. But i hope they won't see this as a weakness!

List any resits as qualifications with a June 2017 award date - your universities will see this and can include it in offers as appropriate.

You might want to speak to whoever completes references in your college about the fact that you're resitting (and basically repeating what you say about about getting your arse in gear once you worked out what you wanted to do and now making sure you've got the right qualifications). If they can mention something along those lines in your reference then that's a big positive.

As for English - speak to your college (and any other local FE colleges) about resitting and if they aren't able to help ask the universities you're interested in about alternatives.
Original post by PQ
List any resits as qualifications with a June 2017 award date - your universities will see this and can include it in offers as appropriate.

You might want to speak to whoever completes references in your college about the fact that you're resitting (and basically repeating what you say about about getting your arse in gear once you worked out what you wanted to do and now making sure you've got the right qualifications). If they can mention something along those lines in your reference then that's a big positive.

As for English - speak to your college (and any other local FE colleges) about resitting and if they aren't able to help ask the universities you're interested in about alternatives.
Thank you for your help! Now i have a plan!

Quick Reply

Latest