The Student Room Group

Your opinion on older music

So I like very little of the music currently being released - all the stuff in the charts is terrible, and when I look for young "alternative" bands, I either find electronic groups, metal bands, or duos writing tuneless acoustic songs, none of which are styles I find interesting. Even music by older bands has been going downhill these past few years!

On the other hand, I've grown a liking to a lot of 80s and 90s British indie and American alternative. Bands I like include:

Ride
The Wedding Present
Husker Du
Green Day
Foo Fighters
Oasis
Mission of Burma
Pixies
Sonic Youth
U2

...among others. At the same time, anything from before about 1978 just sounds tedious to me.

Are you into older music, and if so, can you give examples? Or do you prefer what's currently popular?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Catfish and the Bottlemen are kinda alternative, rising band, more sort of Indie if you're into that. I love them. They're really new but might be your style.

I also like the older alternative bands, Foo Fighters especially. Kings of Leon are sort of old but have a new album out.
Reply 2
Most of the bands and artists I listen to are from past times.

Some of the music I listen to is by -

Simon and Garfunkel
Joy Division
The Smiths
New Order
Jeff Buckley
Tracy Chapman
The Cure
John Denver
Dolly Parton
Johnny Cash
Elton John
Goo Goo Dolls
Guns N Roses

I'm also a big fan of musicals.

I haven't kept up to date with recent music for about seven years. The most modern band I listen to is probably The Fray but even that is their older work from about ten years ago and not their most recent. I don't mind some modern songs such as a few popular Lady Gaga songs but I only really listen to them if I'm trying to exercise and need something with a good beat to keep me motivated, not for the musical appeal. From what I've heard of modern music, so many artists and bands now focus on looks and not the music and pretty much become sell outs. There will be some genuinely passionate and talented musicians out there but often these days they are overshadowed by the more commercial and 'visually appealing' bands or artists.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
"older" = oasis and green day? :lol: here I was thinking you were talking about the beatles or something

...wait, hang on, did you say "the wedding present"? I think they're actually playing at my university in a few days...huh..
Reply 5
been listening to Beatles, U2, Queen, AC/DC and Def Leppard for a while now
Original post by RJDG14
So I like very little of the music currently being released - all the stuff in the charts is terrible, and when I look for young "alternative" bands, I either find electronic groups, metal bands, or duos writing tuneless acoustic songs, none of which are styles I find interesting. Even music by older bands has been going downhill these past few years!

On the other hand, I've grown a liking to a lot of 80s and 90s British indie and American alternative. Bands I like include:

Ride
The Wedding Present
Husker Du
Green Day
Foo Fighters
Oasis
Mission of Burma
Pixies
Sonic Youth
U2

...among others. At the same time, anything from before about 1978 just sounds tedious to me.

Are you into older music, and if so, can you give examples? Or do you prefer what's currently popular?

I'm much more into older music, I really prefer it to be honest. There are very few modern bands/artists I like.

I have quite an eclectic taste but I mainly like the alternative bands too. Echo and the Bunnymen are my favourite, they were big in the 80s alternative scene so you should definitely check them out if you get the chance :smile: They were grouped in the same sort of 'league' as U2, they could of genuinely been huge :tongue: Incredibly talented. They were all about keeping their integrity and not being like everyone else though, so as a result of that, they're more of a cult band nowadays. They made the music they wanted to make though. They would of rather done that and perhaps sacrifice massive U2-level fame instead of having to compromise artistically. Should definitely check them out :smile:

Anyway I love older music and find it to be much better.

Some of the bands and artists I like are;

Echo and the Bunnymen
The Chameleons - this band were so criminally underrated :tongue: Should check them out.
Talking Heads
The Cure
The Smiths
Joy Division
Felt
The Mission
Magazine
U2
David Bowie
R.E.M.
The Doors
Led Zeppelin
Roxy Music
The Comsat Angels - again a great undderated band to look into.
The Church
The Rolling Stones
XTC
Suede
Radiohead

Loads more... :tongue:

I've heard good things about The Wedding Present but from what I heard a while ago, I couldn't quite get into the lead singer's voice...I'll have to look into them properly, maybe my opinion will change.

EDIT: Since posting this, I've checked out The Wedding Present and I think I'm sold on them haha. Looking to get a full album now...
(edited 7 years ago)
i prefer older music than music of nowadays. backthen, there was an actual music with melodies and instruments played by actual humans and not computers( referring to dj) . also, auto-tune or artifical vocal enhancers backthen were rare.most of the music i listen relates to thrash metal and hard rock( 1980's in particular)

i mostly listen to megadeth,metallica,marty friedman, guns n roses, led zeppelin and death.
Reply 8
Vast majority of bands I like are old.
Original post by RJDG14

Ride
The Wedding Present
Husker Du
Green Day
Foo Fighters
Oasis
Mission of Burma
Pixies
Sonic Youth
U2

queen, Elvis and 90's rap
that my bag I mean there other artists songs but i do like some more modern stuff
Reply 10
Original post by Chaotic_Kal
i prefer older music than music of nowadays. backthen, there was an actual music with melodies and instruments played by actual humans and not computers( referring to dj) . also, auto-tune or artifical vocal enhancers backthen were rare.most of the music i listen relates to thrash metal and hard rock( 1980's in particular)

i mostly listen to megadeth,metallica,marty friedman, guns n roses, led zeppelin and death.

Double tracking and echoey effects have been commonplace since the 1960s, but yeah, music was not AutoTuned until 1997.
Reply 11
i literally dont know any of them :redface:
Original post by RJDG14
Double tracking and echoey effects have been commonplace since the 1960s, but yeah, music was not AutoTuned until 1997.

forget about the double tracking and echoey effects, i am talking about the stuff that actually changes one's vocals entirely.
I like to say I prefer older stuff, but honestly, last time I actually went through, I'm pretty sure I found that modern day stuff was actually a bit ahead in terms of numbers...

That being said, the more modern stuff isn't really pop and whatnot, but generally is new songs from older bands, or newer bands which aren't really known. Not to say there isn't the odd bit of pop here and there though. In other words, I like it if sounds good, regardless of popularity.

As for some examples... Well, these are just few, there's plenty more to list, and plenty of artists I've not listed. Just decided to make a quick little list to sort of throw out a vague idea of what's there.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I was brought up on older music and I love it. There's some decent stuff around these days but I'll always have a soft spot for older stuff.

I love classic/heavier rock like Van Halen, Def Leppard, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Stones, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Supertramp, Rush, Aerosmith, Guns N Roses, ELO, Motley Crue

Pretty much anything from the 80s, my favourite band is Depeche Mode

And lots of 90s stuff like Suede, Blur, Oasis, Manic Street Preachers, Stone Roses, Supergrass, The Verve, Elastica
cmon we all love a bit of 80s am I right? :dance:
Frank Sinatra. :yep:
i prefer music from the 70's (back when music videos weren't crud yet cause of looking sexy is popular they get in the charts)
Particularly (god i cant spell that :s-smilie:) ska like Madness, their music is still pretty good to this day ngl.
This is purely my opinion, I dont hate anyone who likes modern music
They don't make music like this any more:

Seriously though, 1972 to 1974 was an absolutely fantastic time for music so I don't understand why the OP can't listen to pre-1978 music.
In 1972 we had:
Blue Öyster Cult - Blue Öyster Cult
Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull
Machine Head - Deep Purple
Argus - Wishbone Ash
Eagles - Eagles
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie
School's Out - Alice Cooper
Below the Salt - Steeleye Span
Foxtrot - Genesis
Focus 3 - Focus

In 1973:
Six Wives of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman
Tanx - T Rex
Camel - Camel
Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd
Houses of the Holy - Led Zep
Desperado - Eagles
Wishbone four - Wishbone Ash
A Passion Play - Jethro Tull
Queen - Queen
Live - Genesis
(Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd) - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Selling England By The Pound - Genesis
Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield

And in 1974:
Kiss - Kiss
Rush - Rush
Waterloo - ABBA
Queen II - Queen
And Now We Are Six - Steeleye Span
Diamond Dogs - David Bowie
461 Ocean Boulevard - Eric Clapton
Hergest Ridge - Mike Oldfield
Crime of the Century - Supertramp
Autobahn - Kraftwerk
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
There's The Rub - Wishbone Ash

And these are just the albums that align with my music tastes.
OP do you not like QOTSA? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest