The Student Room Group

Why does the past seem better than the present, and was it truly?

I'm 15 right now, and I miss the "old days", even though those old days were only a few years ago, and some only a few months ago. Even though I know those times weren't any better than the present, maybe even worse. Is there any reason for seeing the past with "rose tinted spectacles"?
I'm not emo or anything, infact I'm very happy in life right now, but the past always seems happier.
Thanks.
Tbh i think i can relate. Im nearly 17 in a month and with each year i just want to go back to the past bekus i had less pressures, less work and life actually was so rosey then, compared to now. Ive moved school to study my A levels somewhere else and i miss those days before GCSEs finished and that was less than half a year ago. I guess nostalgia and looking back at the past is just a human thing. Guess thats y we appreciate stuff more in the present than we did in the past. Or we r supposed to anyways :biggrin:
Original post by ExamsAreOver
I'm 15 right now, and I miss the "old days", even though those old days were only a few years ago, and some only a few months ago. Even though I know those times weren't any better than the present, maybe even worse. Is there any reason for seeing the past with "rose tinted spectacles"?
I'm not emo or anything, infact I'm very happy in life right now, but the past always seems happier.
Thanks.

People always miss their past and memories , they wish in the present if the past will return . The problem is people do not live the moment and always want the present to pass in order to see their future .
My advice to you is let the past pass , feel and live every moment in your life and enjoy it , let the future come on its time .
:smile:
I know how you feel. I think its partially due to stress and responsibility increasing with age. There was nothing to worry about before, and I reminisce on those days. Now I have gruelling A-levels to complete, and universities to apply to. Sometimes I just wish I could go back.
Same. But the fact that literally everybody feels like this suggests that it's more about subjectivity rather than the past actually being better.

Quick Reply

Latest