The Student Room Group

Best mathematics course from my selection?

Hey need some advice on what uni I should choose. Looking at the course and they are pretty similar so the deciding factor is ultimately going to be down to rep and career prospects.

They uni aren't top target for the banking sector but that is the career I see myself going into, so I would like to attend a uni that puts me in a decent position to get into banking/finance.

Southampton Loughborough
Bristol
Manchester
QMUL
Bath
Surrey
Nottingham
Lancaster

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ramie
Hey need some advice on what uni I should choose. Looking at the course and they are pretty similar so the deciding factor is ultimately going to be down to rep and career prospects.

They uni aren't top target for the banking sector but that is the career I see myself going into, so I would like to attend a uni that puts me in a decent position to get into banking/finance.

Southampton Loughborough
Bristol
Manchester
QMUL
Bath
Surrey
Nottingham
Lancaster

Thanks
As @Princepiemаn has said before it isn't necessarily the uni brand or course that's going to get you a job in banking/finance. However I reckon Manchester, Nottingham, Bath and Bristol are the best out of your list as they are reckognised as semi-targets? Correct me if I'm wrong @Princepieman.
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
As @Princepiemаn has said before it isn't necessarily the uni brand or course that's going to get you a job in banking/finance. However I reckon Manchester, Nottingham, Bath and Bristol are the best out of your list as they are reckognised as semi-targets? Correct me if I'm wrong @Princepieman.

Nah, spot on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for response.

What is the view on Queen Mary maths department? I haven't heard much about it so I take it that it isn't very strong?

My choices:

1)Bristol
2)Manchester
3)Nottingham
4)Southampton
5)QMUL

My top pick would be out of Bristol, Manchester or Nottingham but I can't really make my mind up. Advice would be great.
Original post by ramie
Thanks for response.

What is the view on Queen Mary maths department? I haven't heard much about it so I take it that it isn't very strong?

My choices:

1)Bristol
2)Manchester
3)Nottingham
4)Southampton
5)QMUL

My top pick would be out of Bristol, Manchester or Nottingham but I can't really make my mind up. Advice would be great.
Yeah QMUL isn't as highly regarded as your other choices for a Mathematics course.

I'd say Bristol has the more respected Mathematics course out of your remaining 4 choices. Following this I'd say it's Nottingham, then Manchester and finally Southampton (tbh I don't think there's much in it out of the last 3)

Try looking at different league tables to see the ranking of your potential choices for different criterion.
A big no no to Lancaster, Loughborough, QMUL, and Surrey out of those. All below-par Maths departments.

The other 5 are half decent but if you want to go into banking you should drop Southampton and go for somewhere like Warwick.

Quick Reply

Latest