The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Need help from Mathematics Students studying at York

I have been invited to interview at York for a maths course on the 23rd of November. I haven't been given any kind of information as to what sort of things they will ask me, I'm just wondering if anyone has been in this situation and could help me by telling me the sorts of questions that they will ask me.
Thank you to all that help.
Hiya,

Firstly, congratulations on being invited to interview! :smile: I've had a chat with the Maths department and they've given me some more information that might be helpful. You should also be receiving something in the post very shortly which will have more information about the day.

It's worth noting that Maths department interviews are slightly different, in that they'll only invite you to interview once they've already recommended you should get an offer. The interview is a way for you to get to know the department a little better, and may lead to a reduced offer. For example, if your offer is AAB, it may be lowered after the interview to ABB. If you want to visit the department, but don't want to do the interview, that's also possible (but obviously in this case you won't get the option of a potentially reduced offer).

Because it's not a formal occasion, the interviews are quite relaxed. There's no dress code - you can just wear something you feel comfortable in - and it will consist of a one-to-one chat with a member of the department. You'll be given a maths-based problem and the idea is for you to chat through how you would solve it - there's not necessarily a right answer, they just want to see how you would approach the problem. It's not meant to be intimidating or overly challenging, just a way for you to get to know the department and they you!

Whilst you're here, you'll also attend a talk by a member of the department, go on a campus tour, visit a study bedroom and have a mini-tutorial. Hopefully this will help you to discover the university a bit more, and see what life is like here as a student!

I hope this is helpful :smile:

Katie
University of York
York

Quick Reply

Latest