The Student Room Group

Uh oh.

Well i knew i hadnt done very well in my As levels so this doesnt come as a shock to me...

English- D, i was 5 marks off a C which pees me off.
Biology- D. Just.
Psychology- A. I got 100% in one exam and 93% in the other.
Citizenship- C

I want to do Marketing at Newcastle or Aston i need ABB. Obv, it looks unlikely that i'll get that.

Ive been advised not to do Biology next year because i wont pass with a good grade.

I have 2 choices....

1. Re-sit the first year (but if i do this i wouldnt do Biology, and i'd carry on with my Psych class to get a full A level in it). I'd probably do Business AS and resit english but im not sure what else ???

2. Go into second year. Carry on with English and Psych and CITIZENSHIP (trust me this doesnt make me happy) to have 3 a-levels.

What do you think?
Reply 1
well, i think it is wise to do business as u want to do marketing!
I suggest u shud do first year with new subjects like Maths, Business, Ict & Accounts! (All will help u in marketing) Also u can easily get Abb in maths, business, accounts, ict that is if u work hard:smile:

MY advise!!!

Rest is up2 u!:smile: Goodluck mate!:smile:
Reply 2
Im 99% sure my college doesnt do Accounts.

I was thinking about maybe... Psychology, English, Business & Law or maybe Media. I know Media isnt well respected at all but i really loved it at school, im not sure about Laws credibility.
Reply 3
I'm in a very similar situation. I want to do management next year and the typical offer for most uni's are ABB, i just got my results and got CDDD.
But I do not want to resort in repeating year 12, i think if we work at it and really knuckle down this year, we may be able to turn the results around.
Basically, what i'm going to do is use the remainder of the holiday to start revising for retakes and work out exactly how many UMD's i need to achieve for a certain grade.

The only thing i am worried about is predicted grades and sending grades to uni on application, but by declining the grades and assuring your teacher you will do well in A2, i think they are willing to predict higher than what they actually think. Got to make sure that the personal statement is really good aswel.

I know we are in a real mess right now but i really think by focusing and working hard next year, things can turn out good. Gotta look on the bright side.
Reply 4
The chance of me passing Biology next year is really low.
I know i could do better in English, but Biology is so hard and to be honest ive lost all interest.
Reply 5
Also- another question. If ive completely re done my first year with different subjects, will that look bad?
Its not that i wasnt serious in my first year its just that i really didnt have a clue what i wanted to do, and now i do.
Reply 6
big?mark
Also- another question. If ive completely re done my first year with different subjects, will that look bad?
Its not that i wasnt serious in my first year its just that i really didnt have a clue what i wanted to do, and now i do.[/QUOTE]

That's what you need to put in your personal statement. I shouldn't think the unis would have a problem with it as long as you work hard in the next two years.

I think that if you really want to go to Aston or Newcastle (amazing city btw) then you can do it if you put your mind to it. ABB is within your reach, especially if you do chose to do psychology at A level and then go on to do another 3 A levels in the 2nd year!

I think you should speak to the college and your teachers to find out what they would advise.

If you do choose to redo the first year:

Look through the college prospectus to see what subjects you might like to do. Business is definately a good subject for Marketing. Choose subjects you would enjoy as well. ICT, Computing, Graphics (if you can draw) could all be useful. Photography may be good too if you were going for the visual side of marketing.

If you don't chose to redo the first year:

Drop biology.

Put in for an English resit in January (trust me this is much better than doing it at the same time as all of your other exams).

Perhaps consider a resit in Citizenship to boost your grade to a B.

Decide if you want to take another AS or not. It may be better to just focus on your 3 subjects so you can focus all of your attention on these (This may also be true if you redo your first year- most people have 3 A levels anyway so taking more subjects may hinder more than help you- especially as you don't need to since you already have AS grades).

Good luck. Hope this helps.
big?mark
Its not that i wasnt serious in my first year its just that i really didnt have a clue what i wanted to do, and now i do.

What makes you think you have to tell them? :smile: They really won't care whether you're 17, 18, 19 or 20.
Reply 8
Ok thank you to everyone who has given input. Im going to think about it for a few days, i dont have to enroll untill the 24th, so that gives me some time.

Latest