The Student Room Group

Delaying application for one year?

Hey there,

Im currently in year 13 but i was just wondering on how i should apply for uni.
I actually didn't apply for any courses in year 12 because my predicted grades were too low and didnt meet any entry requirements of the courses i wanted to study.
I am therefore planning on applying with my A2 results in year 13 and thus taking one year off next year before going to uni.
However, some people are saying universities wont accept me if i do this.
I was pretty sure i was allowed to do this but im not so sure anymore...

FYI, i got AABB during my AS. Now ive dropped one and now trying to get get at least A*AA at A2. Considering i get the A2 grades i want, can i apply during year 13 to the course?

Any clarificiations?

Thanks !
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Teukjae707
Hey there,

Im currently in year 13 but i was just wondering on how i should apply for uni.
I actually didn't apply for any courses in year 12 because my predicted grades were too low and didnt meet any entry requirements of the courses i wanted to study.
I am therefore planning on applying with my A2 results in year 13 and thus taking one year off next year before going to uni.

Any clarificiations?

Thanks !

Without a shadow of a doubt, you are certainly allowed to do this.
If anything, your application might perhaps be more competitive with achieved grades, rather than only predicted ones.
Original post by Teukjae707
Hey there,

Any clarificiations?

Thanks !

Not sure who said this, but I'm almost certain they're wrong. I applied after taking a gap year and I think it may have improved my application since although I had the same grades, I had more work experience.

You're undoubtedly allowed to do so. And to my knowledge, not only are you 100% allowed, but I haven't heard of a single uni which looks upon your application slightly unfavourably or discriminates because you took a gap year.

That said, I'd say that your Personal Statement probably needs to mention why you took a gap year, what you have been doing during this time and how productive it's been going until the time of application. You can make it seem like the gap year has made you a better candidate for college.
Reply 3
Original post by francais123
Without a shadow of a doubt, you are certainly allowed to do this.
If anything, your application might perhaps be more competitive with achieved grades, rather than only predicted ones.

I assumed so.

Thanks for the clarification :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest