The Student Room Group

UKMT Senior Maths Challenge - How to prepare?

I'm in Year 12 and I'm taking the SMC on November the 9th, but I'm not entirely sure how to prepare for it. I want to do as well as possible as I aim to study mathematics at Cambridge. I've done UKMT challenges before and done okay, but not brilliantly - the furthest I've got is the Pink Kangaroo. It'd be great to get as far as the BMO this year. Does anyone have any tips for how to prepare? :smile:

I feel my main weakness is my ability to solve the later questions, particularly ones involving geometry. When I look at the solutions I always feel like they've just been conjured up out of nowhere, and I've no idea how to arrive at them myself.
For the geometry part, I would recommend drawing everywhere all over the question paper, draw in all equivalent sides, draw in all parallel lines and all equivalent angles. See if you can use any circle thereoms or trig ratios on them. Work out every side one by one. I find it also helps if you don't spend too long on a question, if you just don't see it, move on and come back to it with fresh eyes. Doing the past papers on the website also helps.
Original post by BobBobson
For the geometry part, I would recommend drawing everywhere all over the question paper, draw in all equivalent sides, draw in all parallel lines and all equivalent angles. See if you can use any circle thereoms or trig ratios on them. Work out every side one by one. I find it also helps if you don't spend too long on a question, if you just don't see it, move on and come back to it with fresh eyes. Doing the past papers on the website also helps.

Do you know by any chance if it's possible to find the past papers from before 2004 anywhere?
Original post by archipelaglobule

Do you know by any chance if it's possible to find the past papers from before 2004 anywhere?

Go to this thread then following the link to Senior Maths Challenge Papers.
Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest