The Student Room Group

My mum is taking credit for everything

My AS grades weren't the best but I managed to get them put up to AAA by myself and prove to my teachers it was worth it.

My mum is claiming that it was only when she got involved everything went well and that she was the reason everything went off the way it did and she was the reason that my mocks came back with A's

My boyfriend has gone to university and she won't let me visit him and calls me manipulative when I try and explain why I want to see him.

I hate being at home and I just want to leave but I still have to get through Yr13 and I am just getting angrier but she makes me feel guilty all the time for wanting to leave - I've never said to her but she says things to me. My friends and boyfriend all say she is manipulative and she is adamant that the school is against her and trying to ruin my life.

She says I act like a child because I am not as hungry as my sister and don't eat as much and when I don't eat she says I am doing it on purpose to hurt her and therefore can't let me do anything because I am still a child.

I don't know what to do. I am not allowed to stay on after school I have to be home everyday by 4 (takes me an hour to get home). She is constantly telling me in one way or another that I am a liar, manipulative, bad person and I don't care about my family, but she is right about the last one. I don't care anymore because they are constantly stressing me out. She shouts at me about how my sister is better and how my friends don't like me and that she is glad my sister does better than me because I don't deserve it. MY boyfriend apparently is abuse and his parents are lazy and clueless. She thinks she knows everything but I never say anything because she always blames me for arguing and making my sister anxious.
I'm in a fairly similar situation and honestly, what I can say is grit your teeth and focus on your exams. Then straight after your exams, move in with another relative or your boyfriend and go to uni.
Original post by hurricaneellin
My AS grades weren't the best but I managed to get them put up to AAA by myself and prove to my teachers it was worth it.

My mum is claiming that it was only when she got involved everything went well and that she was the reason everything went off the way it did and she was the reason that my mocks came back with A's

My boyfriend has gone to university and she won't let me visit him and calls me manipulative when I try and explain why I want to see him.

I hate being at home and I just want to leave but I still have to get through Yr13 and I am just getting angrier but she makes me feel guilty all the time for wanting to leave - I've never said to her but she says things to me. My friends and boyfriend all say she is manipulative and she is adamant that the school is against her and trying to ruin my life.

She says I act like a child because I am not as hungry as my sister and don't eat as much and when I don't eat she says I am doing it on purpose to hurt her and therefore can't let me do anything because I am still a child.

I don't know what to do. I am not allowed to stay on after school I have to be home everyday by 4 (takes me an hour to get home). She is constantly telling me in one way or another that I am a liar, manipulative, bad person and I don't care about my family, but she is right about the last one. I don't care anymore because they are constantly stressing me out. She shouts at me about how my sister is better and how my friends don't like me and that she is glad my sister does better than me because I don't deserve it. MY boyfriend apparently is abuse and his parents are lazy and clueless. She thinks she knows everything but I never say anything because she always blames me for arguing and making my sister anxious.

Focus on your exams, get great grades, go to a good university and hopefully put her in your past. Move in with your boyfriend or another relative. She seems very controlling, and is putting you down. Your amazing, just remember that.
Original post by hurricaneellin

Do you know what - you have just a few months left at home. Just knuckle down and work. It is late October - you will be going to university soon. By the summer you can leave home - if fact by next May - that is only 6 months or so. Don't give her any lip and don't answer back ( always unnerves people doing that)

Mums can be a pain in the rear end - I know I probably was with my children and I did make them work!!

Oh and well done on your excellent exam results!!!!!
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Do you know what - you have just a few months left at home. Just knuckle down and work. It is late October - you will be going to university soon. By the summer you can leave home - if fact by next May - that is only 6 months or so. Don't give her any lip and don't answer back ( always unnerves people doing that)

Mums can be a pain in the rear end - I know I probably was with my children and I did make them work!!

Oh and well done on your excellent exam results!!!!!

Original post by SabithaK
Focus on your exams, get great grades, go to a good university and hopefully put her in your past. Move in with your boyfriend or another relative. She seems very controlling, and is putting you down. Your amazing, just remember that.

I'm in a fairly similar situation and honestly, what I can say is grit your teeth and focus on your exams. Then straight after your exams, move in with another relative or your boyfriend and go to uni.

Thank you, you are all right. I just need to focus on my exams, getting the grades and I will be off to university soon. Just need to get on withit. Thank you
Focus on your exams, get good grades and show her she was wrong. She is a mother and she is worried for her children especially when she can compare two of them.
same situation
She's your mum ffs, it's as if the people on this thread don't care about their parents.

Quick Reply