The Student Room Group

How will Obama be remembered as President of US?

Do you think he'll be remembered fondly, as one of the great presidents like JFK? Or rather remembered badly.

Scroll to see replies

He'll be remembered as the one with the best banter
Regardless of political stance: the one that broke the barrier for being the first African-American as president.
The one and only Nigerian in office😂😂
Original post by Amelia488
Do you think he'll be remembered fondly, as one of the great presidents like JFK? Or rather remembered badly.

JFK was only remember great because people pittied him.
Original post by Amelia488

I think Obama will be remembered as a guy who attempted to create a centrist consensus, but was blocked most of the way by a republican congress and Supreme Court, as such he did very little in terms of change other than being the first black president of course (a social barrier in itself, which was finally overcome), so overall a mediocre president, that will likely be made to look good by his inevitably inept successor (whoever they may be) :wink:
Reply 6
He achieved something great by becoming the first African American President and he brought a lot of hope into many people but ultimately didn't meet the high expectations of him. He stopped the country from doing too badly but he didn't really change it as much as he said he was going to.
First Muslim president
He went all in on Obamacare and it flopped, losing him the House, and then the Senate. Yet he still managed to annoy people anyway by way of his executive orders, which had to be turned over by the SCOTUS. Overall, pretty *****y.
Original post by Connor27
I think Obama will be remembered as a guy who attempted to create a centrist consensus, but was blocked most of the way by a republican congress and Supreme Court, as such he did very little in terms of change other than being the first black president of course (a social barrier in itself, which was finally overcome), so overall a mediocre president, that will likely be made to look good by his inevitably inept successor (whoever they may be) :wink:

Graph_of_Martin-Quinn_Scores_of_Supreme_Court_Justices_1937-Now.png
I disagree that the Supreme Court is Republican. It was 5-4 before Scalia Died and now it's 5-3. They're not republican, they're just anti-stupid.
Original post by BobBobson
I disagree that the Supreme Court is Republican. It was 5-4 before Scalia Died and now it's 5-3. They're not republican, they're just anti-stupid.

I was just going on who appointed them;

Roberts (Bush Jr)
Kennedy (Reagan)
Thomas (Bush Sr)
Alito (Bush Jr)

and before his death Scalia (Reagan)

Therefore Obama had 5/8 republican appointed justices until earlier this year when Scalia died, where exactly is your argument coming from?

Don't tell me; Kennedy is a "Cuckservative" xD
Reply 12
Considering who he is sandwiched between, he can't be remembered too badly...
Being the first African American President will probably be what he is most remembered for. His legacy will be negatively impacted by Congress stopping him from doing as he wished all the time, which made his 'change' agenda in many ways obsolete. Either way, he'll probably look good now due to his successor being hated by large swathes of the population, regardless of who that is. Oh, and most importantly his top class banter :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Probably worth saying that Obama is actually half cast.

Original post by biglad2k16
First Muslim president

Obama is a practicing christian.

As for the question i think that Democrats will remember him as the person that brought them Obamacare and healed relations with Iran and Cuba. I think that Republicans and the poor will remember him as somebody that did not really change their lives in any beneficial way, just another politician.

My own opinion is broadly positive.
I was just going on who appointed them;

Roberts (Bush Jr)
Kennedy (Reagan)
Thomas (Bush Sr)
Alito (Bush Jr)

and before his death Scalia (Reagan)

Therefore Obama had 5/8 republican appointed justices until earlier this year when Scalia died, where exactly is your argument coming from?

Don't tell me; Kennedy is a "Cuckservative" xD

In general, pretty much. But not only that but you have very liberal women on the court like Ginsburg (who imo is the definition of a liberal *****), who said that she will step down if Trump becomes President, and Sotomoyar who is also very liberal.And then the 2 other liberal justices who are slightly less liberal. On the other side, you have Kennedy, who at this point is a liberal according to the graph, Roberts who is a centrist and you're only left with Alito, Scalia and Thomas who are conservative.

I would argue that in term of ideology, the court was 4-2-3 Liberal-Centre-Conservative, but now that Scalia died, it's 4-2-2.
An amazing man with a $hitty congress.

Honestly I'm going to miss Obama so much. He is a genuinely good person with a warm heart who sadly couldn't achieve what he set out to do because he was faced with a congress full of rabid Republicans. And sadly the Americans are too dumb to understand their own political system, and so Obama gets the blame.

Now we have two of the worst nominees in history and it's simply a matter of choosing the lesser of the two evils.
I also want to point out that Obama's brother endorsed Trump. His twitter is actually a nice read.
In general, pretty much. But not only that but you have very liberal women on the court like Ginsburg (who imo is the definition of a liberal *****), who said that she will step down if Trump becomes President, and Sotomoyar who is also very liberal.And then the 2 other liberal justices who are slightly less liberal. On the other side, you have Kennedy, who at this point is a liberal according to the graph, Roberts who is a centrist and you're only left with Alito, Scalia and Thomas who are conservative.

I would argue that in term of ideology, the court was 4-2-3 Liberal-Centre-Conservative, but now that Scalia died, it's 4-2-2.

That graph is one dimensional and I think I've figured out why, Kennedy is on the libertarian wing of the republicans, like Ron Paul style, so some of his social policies would've been recorded as "liberal" when they aren't really, in a 1 dimensional view of politics I suppose they are but it's more complicated than that.
Reply 19
History will hold that his foreign policy was weak and failed.

Quick Reply

Latest