The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Is it possible to move accomdation?

Okay so I'm a first year at Nottingham and my hall is very noisy. People come back at half three on weeknights and often gather in the kitchen which is very close to me or all along my corridor. Getting to sleep before one is a definite impossibility and my sleep is frequently broken and poor. I'm extremely tired and fed up. My lack of sleep means I'm struggling to focus in class.

I've heard there's meant to be no noise after eleven, is that true? And who do I call to report unacceptable noise levels at night? The person above me frequently plays loud music until one or two in the morning, but I don't want to knock on their door.

Also who can I speak to ask about the possibilty of moving because I'm completely worn out and not enjoying univeristy at all?

I would be really grateful if anyone could help with these questions as I have anxiety and that has stopped me from asking anyone in person.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Celestee
Okay so I'm a first year at Nottingham and my hall is very noisy. People come back at half three on weeknights and often gather in the kitchen which is very close to me or all along my corridor. Getting to sleep before one is a definite impossibility and my sleep is frequently broken and poor. I'm extremely tired and fed up. My lack of sleep means I'm struggling to focus in class.
I've heard there's meant to be no noise after eleven, is that true? And who do I call to report unacceptable noise levels at night? The person above me frequently plays loud music until one or two in the morning, but I don't want to knock on their door.
Also who can I speak to ask about the possibilty of moving because I'm completely worn out and not enjoying univeristy at all?
I would be really grateful if anyone could help with these questions as I have anxiety and that has stopped me from asking anyone in person.

Are you in catered halls on campus? In catered halls, each hall should have tutors, often assigned to each block, if not, go to reception (as anonymously as you can) or phone the warden on duty - you should have their phone number, if there is noise during the 'unsociable hours'. Of course you wouldn't want to be the 'grass' but if it it is at 3am and you can't sleep they should understand.

The UK 'legal requirement' is indeed no loud noises, car horns, sirens, etc after 11pm (till 7am).

It is frustrating if you are surrounded by these types of people since the term is now in full swing and fresher's week is past us, so if I was in your position I wouldn't hesitate to contact the hall wardens. I

If you find telling them off causes problems later on you can move halls but only if there is a vacancy, you would need to go to the accommodation website to find out or fill in a form.

Hope this helps
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Celestee

I'm looking for someone to take over my room on Jubilee Campus, what halls are you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I have a spare double room, just off main campus. Its private accomodation but 2nd year students so much quieter than freshers :smile: £65/week and bills average about £10 a week :smile:
Message me if youre interested x
Reply 4
it sounds lit

Quick Reply

Latest