The Student Room Group

Police Caution and Banking.

I really wanted to do banking but dont want to waste the time going to interviews in november if this impacts me.

I recieved a Police Caution for malicious comms (online argument with an ex-friend) over the summer.

I'm currently in my final year at a target what is the procedure for disclosing my caution? I wasn't asked about it when applying will it be brought up in the interview?

Is there any hope for me in getting into high finance with a caution? If so, how much has my stupidity set me back?

The police said what i did wasnt a crime just a moment of stupidity and I dont have a criminal record, what others say on this site is different to that - did they lie to me to get me to sign?

Scroll to see replies

I actually don't think cautions count especially for something minor like that but as with all things, check with HR at a bank you're not interested in

Banks are normally concerned if the crime either a) shows a lack of integrity (fare evading, drink driving etc.) or b) clearly fraud (LIBOR, been investigated etc.)

Yours does not fall into this category so would likely be over-looked and not cause an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
In a very short answer. More concerned with dishonesty and violence.
https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview
Yes it will show
Not likely to be bothered.
Might come up again for regulatory reasons. Fit and proper person test. Dont think it will be taken too seriously.
@Commercial Paper @999tigger
Thanks for the replies, its really put my mind at ease, but as the online form didnt ask about anything to do with any criminal background I was wondering how I should go about disclosing it? (The officer said im not a criminal, just stupid. But since the caution shows up on a standard check i'm sure they'd want to know about it?)

Should I let them know at the interview or wait until they want to take me and run a background check?

I guess my concern is now looking shady/dishonest by not disclosing the caution. Also the term "malicious comms" looks really bad even though the officer pretty much said i'm just stupid for acting that way as it was literally just me "crossing the line" in 2 messages in an argument with someone over social media.

Malicious comms looks like i was plotting to assasinate the queen :/ will i get a chance to explain this before any checks?
(edited 7 years ago)
Disclose it once you have an offer and notify them that it will appear in background checks and explain what it is.

I don't really see the point in disclosing it any earlier. It's not major enough to impact their hiring decision but they'd probably want to know if they were actually going to hire you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ConfusedCaution
Thanks for the replies, its really put my mind at ease, but as the online form didnt ask about anything to do with any criminal background I was wondering how I should go about disclosing it? (The officer said im not a criminal, just stupid. But since the caution shows up on a standard check i'm sure they'd want to know about it?)

Should I let them know at the interview or wait until they want to take me and run a background check?

I guess my concern is now looking shady/dishonest by not disclosing the caution. Also the term "malicious comms" looks really bad even though the officer pretty much said i'm just stupid for acting that way as it was literally just me "crossing the line" in 2 messages in an argument with someone over social media.

Malicious comms looks like i was plotting to assasinate the queen :/ will i get a chance to explain this before any checks?

I wouldn't tell them. I also thought i had a criminal record, but when we did an enhanced check nothing showed up. So there you go!

Agree with CP. Don't disclose it unless asked and consider letting them know if they offer you the job. Do not lie. I think it will concern your employer a lot less, but become relevant for any registration with the FCA for certain regulated positions.

It will show on a standard search, but when applying you are likely to be given the chance to explain it when they decide if you are a fit and proper person. I think they will be much less worried about your cuation than they would be for anything involving dishonesty or violence.
Reply 8
I really wanted to do banking but dont want to waste the time going to interviews in november if this impacts me.

I recieved a Police Caution for malicious comms (online argument with an ex-friend) over the summer.

I'm currently in my final year at a target what is the procedure for disclosing my caution? I wasn't asked about it when applying will it be brought up in the interview?

Is there any hope for me in getting into high finance with a caution? If so, how much has my stupidity set me back?

The police said what i did wasnt a crime just a moment of stupidity and I dont have a criminal record, what others say on this site is different to that - did they lie to me to get me to sign?

Original post by 999tigger
Agree with CP. Don't disclose it unless asked and consider letting them know if they offer you the job. Do not lie. I think it will concern your employer a lot less, but become relevant for any registration with the FCA for certain regulated positions.

It will show on a standard search, but when applying you are likely to be given the chance to explain it when they decide if you are a fit and proper person. I think they will be much less worried about your cuation than they would be for anything involving dishonesty or violence.

If the police officer told you that you don't have a criminal record, and that you don't need to worry about it, why can't you just believe him?
Original post by john2054
If the police officer told you that you don't have a criminal record, and that you don't need to worry about it, why can't you just believe him?

The OP said he had an official caution. that goes on his record.
The OP said he had an official caution. that goes on his record.

He said he had a caution, he also said that the police officer made it quite clear that he 'didn't' have a record. I imagine that it would be better to believe this police officer, rather than the scare mongerers on tsr. And bearing in mind i thought that i had one, because i have been arrested on a number of occasions, and spent a number of 24 hours in lock up, but when it came to it it turned out clean, so i'm sure he will be fine!
He said he had a caution, he also said that the police officer made it quite clear that he 'didn't' have a record. I imagine that it would be better to believe this police officer, rather than the scare mongerers on tsr. And bearing in mind i thought that i had one, because i have been arrested on a number of occasions, and spent a number of 24 hours in lock up, but when it came to it it turned out clean, so i'm sure he will be fine!

A caution is not a conviction, but it forms part of your criminal record.
Are you saying otherwise?
If there's one thing I've learnt from working at the Disclosure & Barring service, it's that you should never accept a caution. If you signed an official caution then it will almost certainly show up on your DBS record. If it's on your record, know that it's just a minor offence and would only be visible if an organisation requested an enhanced check (minor offences are only visible on an enhanced disclosure). The type of caution you received is unlikely to affect you (though it's ultimately down to the individual employers discretion.) There are some cautions that definitely can affect you though, especially ones that are sexual or violent in nature (employers will take these seriously and the DBS may even consider barring you if the circumstances around the caution show you may be a risk to children or vulnerable adults.)
A caution is not a conviction, but it forms part of your criminal record.
Are you saying otherwise?
my written caution didn't show up on my enhanced check which i had back last week.

Original post by Eboracum7
If there's one thing I've learnt from working at the Disclosure & Barring service, it's that you should never accept a caution. If you signed an official caution then it will almost certainly show up on your DBS record. If it's on your record, know that it's just a minor offence and would only be visible if an organisation requested an enhanced check (minor offences are only visible on an enhanced disclosure). The type of caution you received is unlikely to affect you (though it's ultimately down to the individual employers discretion.) There are some cautions that definitely can affect you though, especially ones that are sexual or violent in nature (employers will take these seriously and the DBS may even consider barring you if the circumstances around the caution show you may be a risk to children or vulnerable adults.)

my written caution didn't show up on my enhanced check which i had back last week. But it could be because i had it over 6 years ago??
my written caution didn't show up on my enhanced check which i had back last week.

my written caution didn't show up on my enhanced check which i had back last week. But it could be because i had it over 6 years ago??

Go and read up on cautions. there is a process called filtering in which they are not shown after a certain amount of time (6 years for an adult) as long as they meet certain criteria. Try not to accuse people of scaremongering when in fact they are correct.

Were you under 18?

"DBS checks show all convictions whether spent or unspent. However, if you only have one non custodial conviction it will only appear for 6 years if you were under 18 when convicted. If you were over 18 when convicted it will appear for 11 years. However, if the conviction is deemed more serious then it will still appear."

There are other reasons you might have been removed as well, but I don't work in that area of the business.
(edited 7 years ago)
Go and read up on cautions. there is a process called filtering in which they are not shown after a certain amount of time (6 years for an adult) as long as they meet certain criteria. Try not to accuse people of scaremongering when in fact they are correct.

Original post by Eboracum7
Were you under 18?

"DBS checks show all convictions whether spent or unspent. However, if you only have one non custodial conviction it will only appear for 6 years if you were under 18 when convicted. If you were over 18 when convicted it will appear for 11 years. However, if the conviction is deemed more serious then it will still appear."

There are other reasons you might have been removed as well, but I don't work in that area of the business.

I wasn't convicted, but i was fairly sure that i was cautioned because they have to caution you to arrest you, plus i once did sign a written caution, even though it wasn't my fault. This happened seven years ago.

Maybe they took in to consideration my negotiations and took that in to consideration? Yes i guess that must be what happened?!!
I wouldn't tell them
I wasn't convicted, but i was fairly sure that i was cautioned because they have to caution you to arrest you, plus i once did sign a written caution, even though it wasn't my fault. This happened seven years ago.

Maybe they took in to consideration my negotiations and took that in to consideration? Yes i guess that must be what happened?!!

There is a process called filtering where certain cautions expire.
A caution is not a conviction. They are different.
You are in danger of misinforming yourself.

Sorry, I should have been clear that a caution comes under "non custodial sentences"

It really depends on the circumstances around the caution and what it is. I know people can make a case to have their cautions removed if they can prove it was unjustified. I don't know how the police side of things work, maybe they discarded your caution and didn't process it? There are a few possibilities and I doubt you'd know the real reason unless you enquired.

Do you want me to enquire for you just in case it was an admin error or something? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest