The Student Room Group

Does helping people on TSR make you smarter?

I was reading this article on The Telegraph about the type of questions students are asked in an Oxford Uni interview.

The final questions (pasted below) made me think, one of the likely reasons is actually very similar to what happens on TSR. So do you think, helping people with study questions on TSR will make you smarter?

A large studyappears to show that older siblings consistently score higher than youngersiblings on IQ tests. Why would this be? (Sample question for Experimental Psychology)

This is a question that really asks students to think about lots of different aspects of psychology, and we guide students when discussing it to think about both scientific factors such as maternal age (mothers are older when younger siblings are born could that play a role?) and observational analysis about how birth order might affect behaviour and therefore performance on IQ tests.

It's a great question because students begin from the point they are most comfortable with, and we gradually add more information to see how they respond: for example, noting that the pattern holds true even taking into account things like maternal age.

This can lead them to think about what the dynamics of being an older sibling might be that produce such an effect they might suggest that having more undivided parental attention in the years before a sibling comes along makes a difference, for example.

Then we introduce the further proviso that the effect isn't observable in only children there is something particular to being an older sibling that produces it. Eventually most students arrive at the conclusion that being an older sibling and having to teach a younger sibling certain skills and types of knowledge benefits their own cognitive skills (learning things twice, in effect).

But there isn't really a 'right' answer and we are always interested to hear new explanations that we haven’t heard before. What we are interested in is the kinds of reasoning students use and the questions they ask about the study what it takes into account, what it might not that tells us about their suitability for the course.

And of course it doesn't matter if you have a sibling or not though depending on family dynamics, that can add an interesting twist to the conversation!
(edited 7 years ago)
I actually find it makes me significantly dumber.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Captain Jack
do you think, helping people with study questions on TSR will make you smarter?

Original post by Hippysnake
I actually find it makes me significantly dumber.

The flaw here is my focus on study questions.
I score higher than my older brother.

But then again I basically completed first grade (and everything before) with him and the synapses created then last.
Passing on learning and repeating concepts/ideas to others is hugely underrated in terms of how it helps you improve your knowledge.

Although as a younger sibling I'd say those studies are totally flawed. Younger siblings are definitely smarter...we're just too lazy and cynical about tests :flute:
Reply 5
It's probably because you have to deal or struggle with a problem that the other person is passing on to you. The secret to being intelligent is to not be lazy with your homework it seems ;^)
Not smarter as such, it can increase self-esteem/confidence a bit though feeling like you've actually made a difference to someone (depending what it's on). In study help, sometimes trying to explain something to someone increases our own understanding so I guess in that sense it helps us too :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't feel smarter. Browsing the GCSE/A level forums can be pretty unnerving, often I don't even understand the question being asked, let alone know the answer. :dunce:
I hope so :rofl:
Depends what you mean by smarter. You are putting into practice certain skills. When you reach a certain level, then the benefit is minimal.

There is one benefit (if you want to call it that), which is where you dont know the answer, then you go and find it which expands your knowledge. It is questionable whether you really need or benefit that much from the knowledge.

What you can do and sometimes works is getting people to think things through and learn.
Reply 10
To a point maybe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
tl;dr but i do think it does make you smarter bc if you know something well enough to teach it/ explain it to someone else then you'll have a better grip on it than if you just rote-learned it
I don't think it makes me smarter at all,maybe I m just more knowledgeable on certain things compared to other people.
Also IQ tests are very subjective but my iq 18 vs my sisters IQ at 7 (we ve both seen educational psychologists) she is on a slightly higher percentile than me for most of the tests,so she could end up clever than me so that studies isn't necessarily correct.
Explaining your thinking is a great way to test it and make sure that you really do have a complete understanding. It also helps others, so it's a win-win IMO.
Well i am the younger sibling my IQ is in the stratosphere to my older homedog :/

My theorem is that older siblings can dominate with brute force much like cavemen did. Younger siblings have to adapt and overcome the physicality factor thus working their brains

I WIN
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply