The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

University of Huddersfield Q&As 2019

Hi everyone

We’re Julie, Sophie and Harriette, your Official Rep for the University of Huddersfield on TSR. We’ll be online on weekdays to help you out with any questions you might have about coming to University, just post them below. We aim to reply to your message within 24 hours where possible, but sometimes this may take a little longer.

We have a lot of information on our website that you’ll find really useful. If you've read something on there that has led to more questions, feel free to post them here.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi everyone

We’re Claire and Sarah, your Official Rep for the University of Huddersfield on TSR. We’ll be online on weekdays to help you out with any questions you might have about coming to University, just post them below.

We have a lot of information on our website that you’ll find really useful. If you've read something on there that has led to more questions, feel free to post them here.

Would general studies ucas points be included in the standard offer?
Students at University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by sail999
Would general studies ucas points be included in the standard offer?

Hi @sail999

Each course we offer has specific entry requirements, we'd recommend you look up the requirements for the course(s) you're interested in to find out more: http://www.hud.ac.uk/courses/

Plus we have some more general advice here: http://www.hud.ac.uk/undergraduate/howtoapply/entryrequirements/

We hope this helps :smile:

Sarah - UoH
What facilities does the biological sciences department have, about how much time, for the biology related courses, is spent in the lab and the classroom, and are students able to book the laboratories for their own study?
Original post by Tally_12589
What facilities does the biological sciences department have, about how much time, for the biology related courses, is spent in the lab and the classroom, and are students able to book the laboratories for their own study?

Hi Tally,

We hope you had a lovely Christmas break.

Are you looking at postgraduate or undergraduate courses? If you can confirm which course you are interested in then we'll ask someone from the admissions team for that course to get in contact with you directly.

We offer a PhD and MSc by Research in Biological Sciences and many undergraduate related courses such as Biology (Molecular and Cellular), Biomedicine and Biochemistry. You can find a full list of courses here:
http://www.hud.ac.uk/courses/

Best wishes,
Undergraduate medical genetics

Hey @Tally_12589

Thanks for getting back to us, we'll get back to you with the information as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Sarah - UoH
Reply 7
I have an offer so study sociology and psychology joint honours. The offer states BBC or 112 UCAS points. I study Psychology, Biology and sociology. I am also undertaking general studies and the EPQ. Would general studies amd the EPQ count towards the UCAS points.
Original post by sail999
I have an offer so study sociology and psychology joint honours. The offer states BBC or 112 UCAS points. I study Psychology, Biology and sociology. I am also undertaking general studies and the EPQ. Would general studies amd the EPQ count towards the UCAS points.

Hi @sail999

As you've received an offer from us, you'll need to contact our Admissions and Records team directly to discuss any specifics - their email address is [email protected] or you can call them on 01484 473969

Sarah - UoH

Hi @Tally_12589

We've been in touch with the Course Leader about your question, apologies it has taken us a little while to get back to you, the answer is really guided by what you choose to do on the course. They have said:

"Biological Sciences students undertake about 200 hours of fixed laboratory training during the course of a three year undergraduate degree. However, students also undertake a 40 credit (double module) research project of their choice in Final year which if entirely lab based (non-lab based computational and bioinformatic projects are also available) would approximately double this. As students choose their projects they can use this to direct their own laboratory experience and training in final year. However, if a student wants to pursue a research or lab based career we recommend they undertake a one year research placement in industry or research during year 3. This can provide an entire year of laboratory training and expertise in their chosen field of interest giving them a great career boost."

One of the best things you can do is come to the University to see the facilities and chat to tutors. We have a number of Campus Tours and Open Days coming up http://www.hud.ac.uk/open-days/.

Or, you can contact the admissions tutor directly, they'd be happy to chat to you on email [email protected] or by phone 01484 473867.

If we can help further just let us know :smile:

Sarah - UoH
Hi @sail999

As you've received an offer from us, you'll need to contact our Admissions and Records team directly to discuss any specifics - their email address is [email protected] or you can call them on 01484 473969

Sarah - UoH

Thank you!
Hi everyone

We’re Claire and Sarah, your Official Rep for the University of Huddersfield on TSR. We’ll be online on weekdays to help you out with any questions you might have about coming to University, just post them below.

Hi

I am attending an interview on Saturday for the science extended degree. what is the type of dress code? can I be too smart? also what is the usual nature for these interviews?

Thanks, Olivia
Original post by Olivia_B99
Hi

I am attending an interview on Saturday for the science extended degree. what is the type of dress code? can I be too smart? also what is the usual nature for these interviews?

Thanks, Olivia

Hi Olivia,

Sorry we missed your post :colondollar:. How did it go?

For anyone else who has interviews coming up at the University, then there is a useful guide on our website with lots of handy tips. Don't worry, our interviews aren't too formal and the staff are really friendly and encouraging. The dress code is smart/casual.

Best wishes,
UoH
Hi Olivia,

Sorry we missed your post :colondollar:. How did it go?

For anyone else who has interviews coming up at the University, then there is a useful guide on our website with lots of handy tips. Don't worry, our interviews aren't too formal and the staff are really friendly and encouraging. The dress code is smart/casual.

Best wishes,
UoH

it went really well thanks. in the interview the person said he would recommend me to the course leader then about 5 days later I got a notification from UCAS saying I have been placed an offer
Original post by Olivia_B99
it went really well thanks. in the interview the person said he would recommend me to the course leader then about 5 days later I got a notification from UCAS saying I have been placed an offer

Hi @Olivia_B99

That's great news - congratulations!

Sarah - UoH
Is there a reading list available for the undergraduate English Literature and Creative Writing course starting in September? If I can, I'd like to start buying required texts now so that I don't have a huge cost all at once, and to make a start on reading some of them.
Original post by tristanoscar
Is there a reading list available for the undergraduate English Literature and Creative Writing course starting in September? If I can, I'd like to start buying required texts now so that I don't have a huge cost all at once, and to make a start on reading some of them.

Hi @tristanoscar

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, we're back online now after the Easter break (enough chocolate!).

We've been in touch with the team in English Lit & Creative Writing and have a reading list for you, as follows:

BA (Hons) English Literature with Creative Writing:

For AFE1209 Literary Genres module:

Homer, (1997) The Odyssey (Robert Fagles, Trans.). London: Penguin. Also available as a kindle edition. Read Books 1, 9-13, 21-24.

Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights, ed. Beth Newman (Broadview Press, 2007). This edition preferred but others also acceptable.

Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus, ed. David Scott Kastan (Norton Critical Editions) or Oxford World’s Classics Edition, ed. David Bevington. We will mainly be focussing on the A (1604) text, so please get either of these specific editions.

Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot (1952), in The Plays of Samuel Beckett (Methuen) or The Complete Dramatic Works of Samuel Beckett (Faber and Faber) or any electronic / kindle edition.

For Creative Writing modules:

Anderson, L. (2006), Creative Writing: A Workbook with Readings. (Oxfordshire: Routledge).

We hope this helps and that you enjoy your reading - there's some great titles in there! 😍 📚

Sarah - UoH
Hi all, im currently applying for accommodation but i dont know which one to choose, its a choice between storthes hall and firth point, can someone help me decide which one is better please? Please try to be unbiased THANKS!
Reply 18
Original post by lck381998
Hi all, im currently applying for accommodation but i dont know which one to choose, its a choice between storthes hall and firth point, can someone help me decide which one is better please? Please try to be unbiased THANKS!

I think the main difference would be that firth point would be within easy walking difference, whereas you would need to bus it in, from Storthes Hall. Have you visited both? Good luck with your decision and studies.
Original post by Hanmit
I think the main difference would be that firth point would be within easy walking difference, whereas you would need to bus it in, from Storthes Hall. Have you visited both? Good luck with your decision and studies.

This is whats causing me the difficulty choosing, i have a friend that is staying in storthes hall but i know that i will be spending a lot of time in the library and also cheaper like you said because i wont have the issue of always trying to get back on buses and what not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending