The Student Room Group

which are the best universities

I need to decide between the following universities for the course of economics or economics and philosophy. please advice which 5 will be the best and why, keeping in mind that my main objective is to get well paying job just after I finish studying

1. imperial college
2.U.C.L
3.kings college
4.warwick
5.durham
6.city university London
7.london school of economics
Imperial doesn't teach economics.
Best five would be:
1)LSE
2)UCL
3)Warwick
4)Durham
5)Kings
What's best for one student is not ideal for another. There's really no objective answer unless you look at league tables but they are sometimes skewed.

Have a look at;
•Accommodation (price, location, perks)
•Course modules (see what seems most interesting to you)
•Location (proximity to you and also how close it is to nearby cities and towns)
•Campus (do you prefer it small and secluded or busy and in the city centre)
•Entry requirements
•Graduate prospects and potential careers (does the uni do placements? Year abroad?)
•Extra perks the university may have to offer

People can give you their own individual opinion about certain unis, but no one can tell you where to study, because the best uni for economics for you inevitably won't be for someone else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zayd rasool
I need to decide between the following universities for the course of economics or economics and philosophy. please advice which 5 will be the best and why, keeping in mind that my main objective is to get well paying job just after I finish studying

1. imperial college
2.U.C.L
3.kings college
4.warwick
5.durham
6.city university London
7.london school of economics

I would say LSE, but there's been talk on TSR that some of the students are anti-social / toxic there.

If that concerns you, pick UCL or Warwick, since they're the next best thing.
Original post by JohnGreek
gotta love these reputable sources

OP, go to Oxford.

It came from a student there. He even made a big thread about it with a huge paragraph detailing his troubles with it.

Also, OP isn't considering Oxford.
Original post by JohnGreek
So, 1 anecdote is representative of 4,500 undergrads?

I remember that thread - and it seemed that the OP was the remarkably antisocial one. In any case, PPE is still a fairly small, intimate course here, so I wouldn't worry about the social aspect provided that OP chooses the right halls and actually makes an effort to join societies and talk to people (something that a lot of complainants on TSR seem to have been remarkably reluctant to do). Advising OP to choose UCL for no reason other than the social life is just bad advice.

I advised him/her to pick UCL because it was the next best university on the list of considerations, not because of your assumption of its social life.

Also, you've assumed too much again. I never said it was reliable or valid. I merely just stated to the OP that if that concerns him/her, than pick those unis.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply