The Student Room Group

[Core 3] Differentiation

14774073111121850148420.jpg
Question 9.

For the first part, I tried differentiating it which gave me
4 + x^(-2) then equalling it to 0, but that has no real roots as it gives me x^2 = -(1/4)

Also not sure about the second part.
Reply 1
Original post by DarkEnergy
14774073111121850148420.jpg
Question 9.

For the first part, I tried differentiating it which gave me
4 + x^(-2) then equalling it to 0, but that has no real roots as it gives me x^2 = -(1/4)

Also not sure about the second part.

I think you've differentiated 1/x wrong. rewrite it as x^-1 and see if you get the same answer
Also for the second part consider what happens as x tends to infinity
Reply 2
Original post by solC
I think you've differentiated 1/x wrong. rewrite it as x^-1 and see if you get the same answer
Also for the second part consider what happens as x tends to infinity

Holy ****, can't believe I got that wrong. Ended up with (0.5,4) as my minimum point and (-0.5,-4) as my maximum point.

Not sure what you mean though for the second part. Is it that y gets infinitely bigger?
Reply 3
Holy ****, can't believe I got that wrong. Ended up with (0.5,4) as my minimum point and (-0.5,-4) as my maximum point.

Not sure what you mean though for the second part. Is it that y gets infinitely bigger?

Well as x gets bigger and bigger, then 1/x gets smaller and smaller, therefore as x tends to infinity 1/x tends to zero. So as x gets very large the 1/x component becomes irrelevant, thus y will tend to x meaning there's an oblique asymptote of y=4x.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by solC
Well as x gets bigger and bigger, then 1/x gets smaller and smaller, therefore as x tends to infinity 1/x tends to zero. So as x gets very large the 1/x component becomes irrelevant, thus y will tend to x meaning there's an oblique asymptote of y=x.

The answer in the text book says x=0 though, is it wrong? Wouldn't be the first time if it was
Reply 5
The answer in the text book says x=0 though, is it wrong? Wouldn't be the first time if it was

x = 0 is the correct and only relevant answer. There is another asymptote at y = 4x which is known as an oblique asymptote, however you're not expected to know what they are for C3/C4 as far as I'm aware.
Reply 6
Original post by solC
Well as x gets bigger and bigger, then 1/x gets smaller and smaller, therefore as x tends to infinity 1/x tends to zero. So as x gets very large the 1/x component becomes irrelevant, thus y will tend to x meaning there's an oblique asymptote of y=4x.

Original post by olegasr
x = 0 is the correct and only relevant answer. There is another asymptote at y = 4x which is known as an oblique asymptote, however you're not expected to know what they are for C3/C4 as far as I'm aware.

Alright, thank you both for the help!
Reply 7

That would be the other asymptote, and probably the easier one to notice now that I think about it haha. Apologies for over complicating it.

You can use this site to have a look at the graph yourself if you wish
https://www.desmos.com/

Quick Reply

Latest