The Student Room Group

A level subject choice

Hi,
I have to make my a level subject choice and I am really conflicted!
I definitely want to take history,geography and economics (and politics as an extra depending on what sixth form I go to) with a view of doing. History and politics as uni but I can't decide on a fourth!
Originally I wanted to do English lit since I'm quite good at it and enjoy essay writing but I'm worried that 3/4 essay subjects is too much. Another subject I was considering was religious studies/ philosophy and ethics because I got an a* in that last year but with the same problem with the number of essay subjects and I won't have studied the subject for a year so I am worried about being behind.
The other option was maths, I don't enjoy maths but I typically get 7/8 so I'm okay at it and it would make my subject choices more wider if I wanted to do economics/geography at uni but i'm worried I will struggle with it because I don't enjoy it and I find some concepts hard to get my head round at the moment. I feel like I'm shutting doors by not doing maths/science (especially because at my school and the sixth I want to go to literally 80-90% of people do maths) but I just have no enjoyment of them!
Reply 1
If your doing history and/or poltics at uni maths and science isn't going to help. Focus on essay subjects. History geo and English are good and maybe RS or politics to strengthen your application
Research some potential courses and career paths and see if you even need maths. Doing maths and doing badly at it is going to be worse than doing well on something you like.

Quick Reply

Latest