The Student Room Group

Professional skills test

Hi everyone

I am so so nervous for the numeracy professional skills test. I am fine with literacy as I did A-level English so that's no problem for me.

Please can anyone give me some advice towards the numeracy test? I've heard the real test is easier than the practise ones online? I am more concerned about the mental arithmetic section more than anything else (probably because of the short time limit).

I have bought revision books, downloaded the practise papers, and I am also thinking about hiring a family friend (whose a maths teacher) to tutor me for a few weeks.

I am just so scared that I will fail the three attempts.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Just wanted to say good luck.
I think the best thing to do is practice practice and practice.
Hopefully you will so well. Keep calm!
Reply 2
Unless you've experienced real difficulties with maths in the past and have struggled to pass the practice tests, I don't think you should hire someone to tutor you - you might be fine! Do as much preparation on your own as you can and then give your first attempt a go. If you don't pass then by all means hire a tutor, but you might be worrying about nothing.
Reply 3
Mark Patmore's book is excellent, as is Numeracy Ready. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Chlolouxxo
Hi everyone

I am so so nervous for the numeracy professional skills test. I am fine with literacy as I did A-level English so that's no problem for me.

Please can anyone give me some advice towards the numeracy test? I've heard the real test is easier than the practise ones online? I am more concerned about the mental arithmetic section more than anything else (probably because of the short time limit).

I have bought revision books, downloaded the practise papers, and I am also thinking about hiring a family friend (whose a maths teacher) to tutor me for a few weeks.

Hi!

I'm exactly the same as you. I am yet to take the English skills test, but I'm not too phased by it as I also study English as one of my A-Levels.

I was dreading the maths exam too, but I took it today and passed first time!

I heard that the actual test was easier than the real one to, but I didn't think this was true tbh. It was just exactly the same as all of the others. Takes a bit of revision but with a little bit of practice, hard work and time, I'm positive you will get it eventually!

I started off by using some books which were okay but my main revision was through youtube and the official DofE practice tests. Only take the official tests when you're somewhat near getting ready to book the test otherwise you can start to memorise answers!

It all depends on your capability with maths but for me, a tutor wasn't necessary, I studied for it entirely independantly.

Take your time! With practice comes confidence. Good luck!
Original post by Chlolouxxo
Hi everyone

Hi there!

You may find it useful to read the following articles on the QTS Numeracy Skills test that were written by tutors on our website:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/tutor-article/qts-skills-test/some-teachers-need-support-too/2499

http://www.thetutorpages.com/tutor-article/qts-skills-test/passing-qts-numeracy-skills-tests/8648

Good luck with the test!

Emma
I am a private tutor and I have tutored students before for the QTS tests. I currently tutor in the north Kent area so if anyone in this area feels that they need more help please do contact me by private message.

Nicole

Quick Reply

Latest