The Student Room Group

My Uni Lecturer Hates Me.

Hi all.

I started my second year of University a few weeks back and didn't attend the first 2 weeks of lectures due to illness anyway ever since i returned (We have this new lecturer) he has asked me now 4 times to write down my email address he said today ''You write like a doctor i can't understand your writing''

I don't understand why not no other lecturer has had a problem with my writing?
He also has not sent me any emails since i filled in my email address several weeks back all i'm being asked is to keep filling in my email address constantly and i walked in today and he said to me ''Oh it's you again i thought i got rid of you last week''

He's a deeply religious individual (He keeps telling us all about this instead of actually teaching us)

I'm an openly Gay male he just is dreadful towards me.
Others have noticed he is openly hostile towards me (I don't flaunt my sexuality in front of him at all i mention nothing of it)

I have made several attempts to talk to him and all he does is just states that he is busy.

What am i to do? :/

Scroll to see replies

Wow... this is really shady! If like you say all you've done is be ill for a while (which is obviously not your fault) and you've informed him of this, then flipping heck you don't pay your tuition fees to be treated like that! How ever you look at it he's a professional and he really should not be behaving like that it's actually really upsetting to read this tbh. He should know better! You need to speak to your personal tutor about this if it carries on. Maybe ask him what his issue is first? Obviously his not adding you to the mailing list is not an oversight it being the umpteen time that you've given it him. Smh, grr.
It sounds like you may be being over sensitive here. He made one comment about your hand writing and said he was busy. I would email him directly and say that you still haven't been receiving emails but here s your correct email address so he can start sending them through to it. If you continue to feel he is hostile due to your sexuality then perhaps ask another member of staff to mediate between the two of you.
More details please:

Original post by Anonymous
he has asked me now 4 times to write down my email address

Why does he need your e-mail?

He also has not sent me any emails since i filled in my email address several weeks back

Why are you expecting any?

He's a deeply religious individual

So?

Others have noticed he is openly hostile towards me

Examples?

I have made several attempts to talk to him and all he does is just states that he is busy.

Lecturers usually have office hours where you can talk to them. Have you tried that?
Sounds oversensitive to me.

Have your e-mail printed out and ready for him next time and he should get the message.

If you believe there is something going on , then have a word with your student rep about making an official complaint. You would need evidence and preferably people to bacck you up. Doesnt sound like you have that much.
Reply 5
Original post by chazwomaq
More details please:

Why does he need your e-mail?

Why are you expecting any?

So?

Examples?

Lecturers usually have office hours where you can talk to them. Have you tried that?

Questioning everything they've written isn't helpful, it's fairly clear they just need to email the lecturer clarifying their email. And if the lecturer is still being difficult, then contact some DoS or whatever...
Reply 6
Original post by doodle_333
It sounds like you may be being over sensitive here. He made one comment about your hand writing and said he was busy. I would email him directly and say that you still haven't been receiving emails but here s your correct email address so he can start sending them through to it. If you continue to feel he is hostile due to your sexuality then perhaps ask another member of staff to mediate between the two of you.

Original post by 999tigger
Sounds oversensitive to me.

Have your e-mail printed out and ready for him next time and he should get the message.

If you believe there is something going on , then have a word with your student rep about making an official complaint. You would need evidence and preferably people to bacck you up. Doesnt sound like you have that much.

I think if the lecturer said to him "oh it's you again I thought I got rid of you last week" he isn't being over sensitive. It may be 'banter' but you don't have that kind of banter with essentially a stranger.

I don't think it's anything to do with OP's sexuality because, as OP says, the OP doesn't 'flaunt' it and has made no mention of it.
If he complains about your handwriting again, write your email on a word document and print it out for him. And use a large font for the lols.
Alternatively, could you find out his email address and then just email him, because he'd have your email straight away? Also, he might seem savage now but it's possible that you could grow to like him over the course of time.
Original post by jamestg
Questioning everything they've written isn't helpful

It might be. There could be good answers for each of my questions, or there might not be. Finding out which would clarify the situation. If you ask a question on a forum, you can expect to be asked some back.
Original post by jamestg
I think if the lecturer said to him "oh it's you again I thought I got rid of you last week" he isn't being over sensitive. It may be 'banter' but you don't have that kind of banter with essentially a stranger.

I don't think it's anything to do with OP's sexuality because, as OP says, the OP doesn't 'flaunt' it and has made no mention of it.

Depends on the lecturer and tone. It would have had to be indisputably hostile for me to have taken much notice and then i'd have taken them up on it.

Sexuality didnt come to mind (not sure why it was mentioned. the student rep is who I would talk to as someone who may have a knowledge of the lecturer and if they have a reputation. If not that year, then the year above.

Student rep.
Happens again confront them diplomatically or make an official complaint.
Original post by chazwomaq
It might be. There could be good answers for each of my questions, or there might not be. Finding out which would clarify the situation. If you ask a question on a forum, you can expect to be asked some back.

The questions you asked won't clarify anything.

Why would you need to know why the lecturer needs his email? That's won't make our understanding on why the lecturer is being difficult any greater. Why do we need to know more about the religious nature of the lecturer? The OP clearly thinks it may be something to do with his sexuality, although I doubt it. You don't need examples of other people's perspectives because I'm sure the OP would have said everything.

The only vaguely helpful question was the last one.
Original post by jamestg

Why would you need to know why the lecturer needs his email?

Well, if there is a mailing list or something to get class notes, that is a very valid reason. If it's for some other reason that isn't as valid, it might explain why the lecturer doesn't seem to care about it. I get a hundred e-mails a day, many of which could be avoided by students checking online resources or just talking to me face to face.

Why do we need to know more about the religious nature of the lecturer?

I suspect we don't, but the OP brought it up. I wonder why.
Original post by jamestg

meh, some people aren't very socially aware, there's plenty of people who attempt a bit of banter and miss the mark
I'd say if you feel uncomfortable talk to the university about him. Maybe it's just a misunderstanding and you can patch things up, and if not, they'll be able to do something about it :smile: Some are saying you're being over sensitive but the comment ''Oh it's you again i thought i got rid of you last week'' goes a little to far in my opinion, it seems unneeded.
Film his actions and report him
About your handwriting thing, type your email in BIG letters and give him since he might have a bad eyesight. If he continues, report him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to update you all.

Walked into his lecture today and was kicked out before i even sat down.

''I don't want you in here get out''

Went to the office and reported him and was informed he dislikes me hugely and they are still trying to find out the reason why.

I'm an openly Gay male he just is dreadful towards me.
Others have noticed he is openly hostile towards me (I don't flaunt my sexuality in front of him at all i mention nothing of it):/

This sounds like you're playing a card. I shouldn't have thought he was remotely interested in your sexuality, God Squad or not.
Just to update you all.

Walked into his lecture today and was kicked out before i even sat down.

''I don't want you in here get out''

Went to the office and reported him and was informed he dislikes me hugely and they are still trying to find out the reason why.

It's not in his remit to like or dislike you. His function is to do what he's paid for, and that is, to guide you through your course.
I think a formal complaint is most certainly called for. I am Student Rep for my course and I would have dealt with this by now, for sure.
When you went into the office, did they tell the teacher to let you in?Also, if the staff cannot do anything about it, you need to share your problem with the world, like media where more people will be informed about those incidents and make sure that teacher doesn't commit same mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't quite understand it tbh.

I only walked in to his lecture and was told to get out i haven't done anything.

Quick Reply

Latest