The Student Room Group

How fast does the meningitis rash spread?

I have a rash that looks like meninginis but I'm not sure. I've done the glass test and it doesn't fade but a friend had a rash similar and she was fine. It's a few inches long and doesn't seem to have spread much. I don't have any other symptoms and I'm starting to get scared to go to sleep in case I don't wake up. Does this sound like it could be meningitis and could something happen to me in my sleep?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have a rash that looks like meninginis but I'm not sure. I've done the glass test and it doesn't fade but a friend had a rash similar and she was fine. It's a few inches long and doesn't seem to have spread much. I don't have any other symptoms and I'm starting to get scared to go to sleep in case I don't wake up. Does this sound like it could be meningitis and could something happen to me in my sleep?

Since you seem so concerned I would call 111 for advice. If not, call your doctor or visit a pharmacy tomorrow.
Reply 2
Not fast I believe. I was treated at hospital for two weeks because I had a really bad headache at the back of my head.

They found a meningitis strand in my blood test and took no risk and I was treated two weeks straight with antibiotics straight to my blood stream.

It's not about spreading. As soon as you see signs of it, if comes everywhere. - personally I didn't get a rash.
Original post by Drunq
Not fast I believe. I was treated at hospital for two weeks because I had a really bad headache at the back of my head.

They found a meningitis strand in my blood test and took no risk and I was treated two weeks straight with antibiotics straight to my blood stream.

It's not about spreading. As soon as you see signs of it, if comes everywhere. - personally I didn't get a rash.

The 'meningitis rash' spreads incredibly fast. Clinically the spread of the rash is a key determinant of whether it is a meningococcal rash or just some other rash.

Not all meningitis has a rash, only one specific bacterial meningitis has a rash which is why you didn't have a rash.

Source, apart from books/google/exams, I previously worked in paediatrics and now work in ED and spend a lot of my life assessing these rashes.

That said if you are concerned you have a meningitis rash you should ring 111 ASAP because by the time you've waited to see if it's spread you're ****ed.
Reply 4
The rash is caused by the dic (abnormal clotting)associated with septicaemia from the meningiococcal bacterium. Meningitis refers to the inflammation of the brain lining, in the context of mengiococcus this would be infiltration of the brain by that particular bacterium and would therefore represent bacterial meningitis.

Without a full history and examination very difficult to illicit your problem. 111/999 would be an option if you're unwell, or perhaps an urgent gp appt if not.
Despite the various claims made by people on here, no-one is medically trained to diagnose you over the internet. See your doctor if you are at all concerned.
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Despite the various claims made by people on here, no-one is medically trained to diagnose you over the internet. See your doctor if you are at all concerned.

Agreed with the Internet diagnosis bit. However some of us are medically trained and happy to point you in the right direction and clarify definitions.

Sean gp registrar.
(edited 7 years ago)

As above, some of us are medically trained and if concerned re: meningitis I would ring 111 for a rapid assessment not wait to see your GP
Original post by haprybeingright
As above, some of us are medically trained and if concerned re: meningitis I would ring 111 for a rapid assessment not wait to see your GP

Please note: I said no-one was medically trained to diagnose you over the internet, not that no-one was medically trained.
Reply 9
Please note: I said no-one was medically trained to diagnose you over the internet, not that no-one was medically trained.

I think the "various claims by people" was slightly passive aggressive hence the defensive responses. Although as I said, I'm inclined to agree with you.
Original post by Sean3000
I think the "various claims by people" was slightly passive aggressive hence the defensive responses. Although as I said, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Fair point, Sean.:smile: I just see a lot of very specific diagnoses being dispensed authoritatively on threads like this without the 'clinician' every having seen the patient. I wouldn't have a problem with it if they, like in your post, said 'without seeing you it's very difficult to tell'. You're right though, a bit passive aggressive!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Hey OP. Saw this thread pop up again so thought i'd ask how you're doing. Rash sorted now or have you at least found out what it is? Hope you're doing well :smile:
I'm gonna guess you're all sorted now, if not let us know! Just want to note that if you ever match the symptoms of meningitis, call 111 and get some help. Even if it isn't, it's not something you want to risk. That, and get immunised!

Quick Reply

Latest